Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Someone get Success with Apollo Duo Thunderbolt (Rack silverface)?
I get success with Apollo Twin (Silverface) and Apollo Twin MK2, even with UAD Octo satelite THunderbolt (daisy chain), but not luck with old Apollo Duo Thunderbolt :(

any one?

@CaseySJ

I attempted installing Catalina today from Mojave 10.14.5 . I followed your instructions regarding Whatevergreen, and doublechecked there were no AGDP related patches in Kernel and Kext Patches. Yet I still got the black screen before login ("No video input")

I then booted from a backup drive and copied latest Lilu.kext, AppleALC.kext to the other drive's /Library/Extensions (I realised my version of Lilu was older than the supported version for WhateverGreen). I also placed Lilu.kext, AppleALC.kext in CLOVER/kexts/Other in the EFI of the other drive . I then used touch terminal command on the three kexts in the terminal to trigger a cache reset for the other drive.

This did not help.

I do notice one of the boot volumes in clover had "install" in it (Boot maxOS Install Prebooter from Preboot), but this ones gives me "error loading kernel cache (0xe)". I then tried specifying the boot argument UseKernelCache=No, but to no effect.

"Boot FileVault Prebooter from Preboot" also gives me the black screen before login.

I have now run out of ideas, any input is appreciated.

Last edited:
**Mini-Guide for Direct Installation of Catalina 10.15.1 and Newer **
UPDATED 15-Dec-2019
@CaseySJ, I've not tried this yet and am a little behind on the forum. After Catalina is installed, are the post install steps from the Mojave guide used to enable the full system power? Or has more of this been incorporated in the core build?

currently downloading memtest and about to push to usb drive and try it out

Hi guys,

First time poster, second time hackintosh builder.

I have an extremely similar build and I am experiencing the same issue, where post install the machine shuts down.

I had my build working 100%(I have a back up) on 10.15.1 using the Mini guide (back when it instructed to start with the 5700xt out of the machine and install later)

I started experiencing this issue when attempting to update to 10.15.2. Seeing that no one else on the forum posted about having 10.15.1 > 10.15.2 issues on the Z390 I decided to try a clean new boot (10.15.1 boot is only 2 days old)

I have also ran a memtest and everything came back clean.

Hardware:
Z390 DESIGNARE
64GB CORSAIR VENGANCE (4x16gb, Non RGB)
Intel i9-9900k
MSI AMD 5700XT
Samsung 970 EVO Nvme SSD

Please let me know if there is any information I can provide to help trouble shoot this.

Hi guys,

First time poster, second time hackintosh builder.

I have an extremely similar build and I am experiencing the same issue, where post install the machine shuts down.

I had my build working 100%(I have a back up) on 10.15.1 using the Mini guide (back when it instructed to start with the 5700xt out of the machine and install later)

I started experiencing this issue when attempting to update to 10.15.2. Seeing that no one else on the forum posted about having 10.15.1 > 10.15.2 issues on the Z390 I decided to try a clean new boot (10.15.1 boot is only 2 days old)

I have also ran a memtest and everything came back clean.

Hardware:
Z390 DESIGNARE
Intel i9-9900k
MSI AMD 5700XT
Samsung 970 EVO Nvme SSD

Please let me know if there is any information I can provide to help trouble shoot this.

So you’re getting a CPU halted error after both reboots on installation?

I hate jumping back in here with problems but...
I am having an issue where trying to render in 3D apps (Cinema 4d and Maya) and sometimes 2d (Fusion Studio) stalks the computer and kicks the GPU fans into jet engine mode and then eventually the machine restarts.
Any idea from the hive mind what might cause this?

Hardware:
Z390 DESIGNARE
Intel i9-9900k
MSI AMD 5700XT
Samsung 970 EVO Nvme SSD

corsair 4x16gb vengeance RGB pro 3200mhz
Both of you have Corsair Vengeance 16GB x 4. Can you both try a different brand temporarily? Maybe borrow from another computer?

I hate jumping back in here with problems but...
I am having an issue where trying to render in 3D apps (Cinema 4d and Maya) and sometimes 2d (Fusion Studio) stalks the computer and kicks the GPU fans into jet engine mode and then eventually the machine restarts.
Any idea from the hive mind what might cause this?
Remind the hive please of the following:
  • Catalina or Mojave?
  • SMBIOS iMac19,1 or iMacPro1,1?
  • Any custom Vega fan and power curves (custom power play tables) or is macOS fully managing the Vega?
  • Did the problem suddenly start? If so, has anything significant changed, such as update from 10.15.1 to 10.15.2 or installation of any new drivers?

@CaseySJ, I've not tried this yet and am a little behind on the forum. After Catalina is installed, are the post install steps from the Mojave guide used to enable the full system power? Or has more of this been incorporated in the core build?
The Catalina Mini-Guide is for brand new, fresh installations, and the procedure takes care of post-installation (Step 3). If upgrading from Mojave, we need to update Lilu and WhateverGreen to latest versions and do an in-place upgrade through the Mac App Store.

Back