Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

A new LOOK OUT warning was added to the Catalina Mini-Guide earlier this morning. But if AMD GPU is allowing the installer to boot, then let's leave well enough alone! Fingers crossed...

:headbang: Success. Fresh Catalina 10.15.1 Install with the Catalina Mini-Guide, all included Files (Using Config-AMD-GPU.plist) and latest clover (build 5100) worked just fine WITH 5700XT installed from the beginning. No need (in my case) to leave out the card or swap files in post installation. Went very well.

Last edited:
The IOReg file shows that the Corsair CPU cooler is model H115i and connected to HS12. Please see NOTE 7 from Post #1 copied below:

View attachment 439681

First, please disconnect the Corsair USB cable and check sleep/wake behavior. If the problem disappears, we can decide how to proceed. Your options are:
  1. Keep the Corsair unplugged. Maybe not such a good option.
  2. Disable the HS12 port in macOS by modifying the USB SSDT (I can do this for you). This only affects macOS. Windows will still be able to monitor and control.
View attachment 439682
Thanks @CaseySJ. I'm going to keep them all plugged in and not worry about the sleep issue. As long as my monitor can sleep it's fine (it does). I'm usually running qbittorent so the machine normally needs to be on.

On a possibly related issue, my Geekbench scores are terrible. As far as I can tell the fans and pump don't go faster under the load of the Geekbench test, maybe causing thermal throttling? Do others have a lot higher Geekbench 5 scores? Even though I haven't loaded the control software for the H115i in windows (haven't installed windows) I would think by default it would increase pump and fan speed as coolant temp increases. Your thoughts?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 8.06.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 8.06.26 PM.png
    344.8 KB · Views: 159
Thanks @CaseySJ. I'm going to keep them all plugged in and not worry about the sleep issue. As long as my monitor can sleep it's fine (it does). I'm usually running qbittorent so the machine normally needs to be on.

On a possibly related issue, my Geekbench scores are terrible. As far as I can tell the fans and pump don't go faster under the load of the Geekbench test, maybe causing thermal throttling? Do others have a lot higher Geekbench 5 scores? Even though I haven't loaded the control software for the H115i in windows (haven't installed windows) I would think by default it would increase pump and fan speed as coolant temp increases. Your thoughts?

the results are perfectly fine since you´re using Geekbench 5 which you cant compare to Geekbench 4.

Last edited:
Thanks @Phunk80. For sure, it's a different scale, but I've seen much higher numbers on Geekbench 5 for similar setups. How does your rig fare?

And is it normal to not hear the fans or pump increase in speed under the load of a Geekbench or similar test?

No worries, you´re doing fine. Look at the charts. You almost even with the latest iMac. I got 1217 with my system installed 10 mins ago.

And yes, my fans do not speed up neither under Geekbench.

yeah, idk what what will work. If I had the new 5K LG display with USB-C inout, and that tested out at real 5K resolution with the Radeon Pro W5700 (has USB-C output), then I would think the pro display would work too. But idk, that pro display doesn't have a camera either ughh

Pro Display XDR is compatible with the following Mac models running macOS Catalina 10.15.2 or later:
  • Mac Pro (2019) with MPX Module GPUs
  • 15-inch MacBook Pro (2018)
  • 16-inch MacBook Pro (2019)
  • 21.5-inch iMac (2019)
  • 27-inch iMac (2019)
  • Any Mac model with Thunderbolt 3 ports paired with Blackmagic eGPU or Blackmagic eGPU Pro

Quite right -- the Radeon Pro W5700 has a USB-C output that supports DisplayPort 1.4. So it just may work. We will, of course, wait for your pocketbook to provide us the real answer! :)

And is it normal to not hear the fans or pump increase in speed under the load of a Geekbench or similar test?

My Geekbench5 results are pretty similar to yours (see attached).

I have an NZXT Kraken X62 cooler, and my fans/pump don't speed up automatically (Geekbench or otherwise)... unless I create a custom fan/pump curve using liquidctl. But even then Geekbench doesn't run long enough (yay!) for the liquid temperature to increase much and change the pump/fan speeds.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 1.54.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 1.54.46 PM.png
    63.8 KB · Views: 83
Back