Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Tried the Catalina mini guide again with a totally stripped down system and a new 10.15.1 USB-Installer (to rule out failure on this side). No chance to get past the giOScreenLockState 3. No matter if iGPU accelaration is enabled or not.

What else can I do? Running out of options...
This is so strange. I have no Problems getting to the OS Installer when using the discrete GPU (5700XT) and config-AMD-GPU.plist.

Installer is running. ATM. I will tell you in a few minutes.

Last edited:
OK, don't wanna heist the thread (again), but I used a DSDT I found online (just for testing), and I have working NVRAM on OC now... I'll have to look into this further!

• Which 3 fans do you have connected to the Smart Device V2?
    • Aer RGB 2 140mm
    • Aer RGB 2 120mm
    • What is the mystery third fan?
  • If there is no third fan, it means that the Smart Device V2 is sending a slightly different byte stream than expected by the driver.
    • I can look into this later in the evening.
  • Are the LED accessories correctly listed?
There is no third fan and, yes, all LED accessories are listed!

It should use CPU-ID instead of a text string to identify the CPU. Let me check my system later this evening.

Thanks! As another data point, I installed iStats Menu and everything shows up there correctly.

Also, I upgraded 10.15.1->10.15.2 and everything updated without issue. (You just have to boot from "Install Catalina from Catalina - Data" that one time.)

OK. So I did some testing with the Thunderbolt and my Apollo Twin Mk2. The regular Thunderbolt ports don't work when I try to connect... but with the USB-C adapter that I luckily have works fine. I'm also wondering if it is possible to run my old Firewire audio interface with the Firewire-Thunderbolt converter cable.
Can you please clarify:
  • The Apollo Twin Mk2 Duo and Solo are Thunderbolt 2 devices, therefore requiring a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter.
  • If you connect the Apollo to a TB3-to-TB2 adapter and then to one of the two Thunderbolt ports on the rear IO panel, does it fail to connect?
  • When you say "but with the usb c adapter ... works fine" are you in fact referring to a TB3-to-TB2 adapter instead of a USB Type C to USB Type A adapter?
  • If the TB3-to-TB2 adapter works with the Apollo then it should also work with something like the Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter. Or you may purchase a Firewire PCIe card such as one of the models list near the end of Post #1.

Tried the catalina mini guide again with a totally stripped down system and a new 10.15.1 USB-Installer (to rule out failure on this side). No chance to get past the giOScreenLockState 3. No matter if iGPU accelaration is enabled or not.

What else can I do? Running out of options...
This is so strange. I have no Problems getting to the OS Installer when using the discrete GPU (5700XT) and config-AMD-GPU.plist.

Installer is running atm, will tell you in a few minutes.
A new LOOK OUT warning was added to the Catalina Mini-Guide earlier this morning. But if AMD GPU is allowing the installer to boot, then let's leave well enough alone! Fingers crossed...

OK, don't wanna heist the thread (again), but I used a DSDT I found online (just for testing), and I have working NVRAM on OC now... I'll have to look into this further!
This sounds promising. You must share it after your tests are done...

Hi, I'm also in the proces of installing osx on my new system. Z390, rx580 with 32gb ram G skill ripjaws, be quiet power supply and samsung 860 pro 256gb ssd. Now my problem is that phase 2 it keeps rebooting. Read the thread and discovered firmware issues with the ssd. But this is about the 970 ssd. Not the 860ssd. Is this correct? And if not can someone tell me why it doesnt complete the installation? Thanks in advance and for this great tutorial

Edit: Went back to bios and reverted to basic bios settings. Made the neccesary changes in bios. Done. Problem solved. Got the extra apfs in clover bootloader now. Thanks!
Glad to hear it!

Thanks! As another data point, I installed iStats Menu and everything shows up there correctly.

Also, I upgraded 10.15.1->10.15.2 and everything updated without issue. (You just have to boot from "Install Catalina from Catalina - Data" that one time.)
Congratulations for being the first in this thread to get to 10.15.2!

As for HWMonitorSMC, let's wait for 2.5.0...

I have only one thing to say to that: With the $tand or without? :)
  • It only takes Thunderbolt 3 input.
  • Will it work with one DP-In from AMD GPU to motherboard?
  • Or do I recall correctly that you have the Gigabyte GC-Alpine Ridge and hence you can connect two DP-inputs to obtain a bonafide 6K output stream?

yeah, idk what what will work. If I had the new 5K LG display with USB-C inout, and that tested out at real 5K resolution with the Radeon Pro W5700 (has USB-C output), then I would think the pro display would work too. But idk, that pro display doesn't have a camera either ughh

Pro Display XDR is compatible with the following Mac models running macOS Catalina 10.15.2 or later:
  • Mac Pro (2019) with MPX Module GPUs
  • 15-inch MacBook Pro (2018)
  • 16-inch MacBook Pro (2019)
  • 21.5-inch iMac (2019)
  • 27-inch iMac (2019)
  • Any Mac model with Thunderbolt 3 ports paired with Blackmagic eGPU or Blackmagic eGPU Pro

Back