Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

ok

ok so I took out the card again. same problem so I tried to run the instal to reinstall Mojave as you suggested and i get the same thing . see attachment. I'm going a bit crazy hahaha but I'm sure it can be fixed. tnx for all the help and I don't want to bother you mush longer ..its just that I was so close everything was working and then nothing ..
If we take the log at face value, it implicates the kernel cache. Whenever we add, replace, or remove files from /Library/Extensions we need to rebuild the kernel cache by running Kext Utility. So assuming that is the problem, we can try the following:
  • From Clover Boot Menu, select Recovery
  • If this works and the Recovery system boots up, open Terminal and type the following:
    Code:
    cd /
    kextcache -i /Volumes/Name_of_macOS_Disk
  • Then select Apple Menu —> Reboot from the very top left of the screen.
  • Replace Name_of_macOS_Disk with actual name of your macOS SSD.
If this also fails to remedy the problem, it may be necessary to do the following — but one at a time:
  • First, perform a CMOS Reset by shorting the 2 designated pins on your motherboard. Please consult motherboard owner’s manual.
    • BIOS parameters must be re-configured after a CMOS Reset!
    • Then see if this problem reappears.
  • If problem persists, flash the BIOS and re-configure BIOS parameters.
    • Does the problem persist?

Last edited:
@CaseySJ Question based on what you mentioned to me earlier, with setting up the "headless" setup I am going to use the mini guide and replace e the SSDT my questions, should I switch down to 19,1 iMac or can I leave myself on iMac Pro 1,1 when I make these changes to enable headless?
  • iMacPro1,1 uses an Intel Xeon CPU, which lacks an on-board IGPU.
  • Typically we disable IGPU in BIOS when using iMacPro1,1.
  • But we’ve also seen that IGPU can be enabled.
  • If we disable IGPU in BIOS, then there’s no need to set any platform ID and we can delete the IGPU entry from Devices —> Properties
  • If we enable IGPU in BIOS, only then should we set headless platform ID in Devices —> Properties.
@CaseySJ Just set up the headless and the SSDT based on the tags in the guide you linked how will I know if it was successful? lol sorry I'm sure that's a dumb question
  • USB port configuration can be tested by running IORegistryExplorer and scrolling the device tree on left side to XHC. If you see roughly an equal number of HSxx and SSxx ports, and the total count is 15 or less, then USB is correctly configured.
  • To confirm if IGPU is set up, scroll the device tree to IGPU. If the first sub-node is AppleIntelFramebuffer... then IGPU is properly enabled.
  • For Thunderbolt, we should check System Information —> PCI or connect a Thunderbolt device.

@CaseySJ I have read your guide keenly and its so well detailed that I could not resist asking for your help we have similar builds except for my motherboard.Could you please take a look at my p.list and IOREG and point where I should adjust it to improve the performance of my hack.I strongly think my p.list is my downfall here.Your help is highly regarded.
What problems are you experiencing? Note that there is no single best configuration for any system. Lots of different configurations can work just as well. It’s often a matter of making some adjustments that are specific to the components in a system. Some GPUs, for example, require agdpmod=pikera, while others don’t. Some older monitors, TVs, and projectors may not sync properly to an AMD video card. Some WiFi/BT components may require drivers. For 128GB it is necessary to fill in the Memory section of SMBIOS. Etc.

So please look through Going the Extra Mile to see what might be relevant to your configuration.

Last edited:
Just finished the installation, so far everything works perfectly. I was having sleep/wake issues previously on the same OS version and I was gonna downgrade to Mojave to see if it fixes the issues, but I'm glad I found this post. The installation was so simple and everything is so much more stable than my previous installation. However, I'll run more tests and report back if there is any issues. Thanks a ton @CaseySJ, truly appreciate everything you've been doing for the Hackintosh community! :headbang:
Glad to hear it and welcome to the forum!

860 EVO SSD M.2.
Fenvi in Lower mini slot
Radeon VII

Perfect install - absolutely no problems at all and exactly as described

Thank you Casey
Glad to hear it.

From the last several posts it seems the Catalina Mini-Guide should work with AMD Vega 56/64, Radeon VII, RX 580, RX 590, and RX 570.

Catalina installation with RX 5700 and 5700 XT continues to be a problem. We’ll continue to look into this.

Hey CaseySJ,
I sucseeded following your guide to set up a 10.14.6 based Hackintosh which runs fast!
Thanks a lot for the detailed guide!!!
Like in my signature + 32gb of RAM, 1 TB NVME SSD
It's mounted in a server rack. Here a small photo
hackintosh.jpg

Currently I am thinking of a right backup strategy and

Home and OS Folders on Separate Drives

I am asking myself if it's possible to do the same like you (separating Home Folders and OS) but working only with one drive, i.e. to work with two partitions instead.
Do you think Is it possible to restore only the EFI Drive + OS-Partition (in case of failure / problems) through CCC without harming the Home-Folder-Partition?

Because currently I am planning to Backup the Home-Folder with Time Machine onto a 3.5' external Drive. But maybe it's Nonsense to use two Backup-Software and maybe I should just stick to CCC aswell for that task?
Hrm, Backing up a Hackintosh need some brain work :)

Is anyone running a 5k-Display on an RX580 with this build? I got a iiyama XB2779QQS 5K-Display connected via a DP 1.4 cable on an PowerColor Radeon RX 580 Red Dragon V2 but macOS (10.14.6) shows only 3840x2160 (see screenshot). Running Windows on the same system displays the correct resolution of 5120x2880.
Any special settings to make 5k working?

About This Mac 2019-11-27 13-21-30.png

Thanks a lot

@CaseySJ actually the only issue I really have is no sound from the HDMI.

I am asking myself if it's possible to do the same like you (separating Home Folders and OS) but working only with one drive, i.e. to work with two partitions instead.
Do you think Is it possible to restore only the EFI Drive + OS-Partition (in case of failure / problems) through CCC without harming the Home-Folder-Partition?
Thanks for the photo of the server build! I’ve not personally partitioned a disk in this manner, but you’re welcome to try. It would be strongly recommended to make a full bootable backup first (with the current single-partition configuration). If the experiment works, please share it with us! :)

There are upsides and downsides to splitting the home folder from the system folder:
  • Upsides:
    • Allows us to backup just the system folder onto relatively cheap 128GB or 256GB SSDs.
    • Total time for backup is also reduced, so it’s more convenient to make more frequent backups.
    • We can allocate a bigger SSD to our home folder. This is especially important if we’re saving large video files or managing large photo collections (especially RAW files).
  • Downsides:
    • Someone reported that some third party applications (perhaps some Adobe applications) may not work properly when the home folder is split from the system folder, although I have not independently verified this claim.
      • All of the apps I use have no problem with a split home folder.
Because currently I am planning to Backup the Home-Folder with Time Machine onto a 3.5' external Drive. But maybe it's Nonsense to use two Backup-Software and maybe I should just stick to CCC aswell for that task?
Hrm, Backing up a Hackintosh need some brain work :)
Time Machine backups can and should be used alongside full backups. Reason:
  • If we make a full backup every week or two weeks, for example, then any in-between changes made to your data files will be lost.
  • But Time Machine backups up your files on a much more regularly basis and keeps track of all of the intermediate versions of a file. So you can retrieve any past version of a file.
  • Time Machine is therefore ideally suited for the home folder that contains your documents.

Back