Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

• iMacPro1,1 uses an Intel Xeon CPU, which lacks an on-board IGPU.
  • Typically we disable IGPU in BIOS when using iMacPro1,1.
  • But we’ve also seen that IGPU can be enabled.
  • If we disable IGPU in BIOS, then there’s no need to set any platform ID and we can delete the IGPU entry from Devices —> Properties
  • If we enable IGPU in BIOS, only then should we set headless platform ID in Devices —> Properties.

• USB port configuration can be tested by running IORegistryExplorer and scrolling the device tree on left side to XHC. If you see roughly an equal number of HSxx and SSxx ports, and the total count is 15 or less, then USB is correctly configured.
  • To confirm if IGPU is set up, scroll the device tree to IGPU. If the first sub-node is AppleIntelFramebuffer... then IGPU is properly enabled.
  • For Thunderbolt, we should check System Information —> PCI or connect a Thunderbolt device.

When I looked in IO registry looks like I do have about 14 or so and just about an even number of both so I believe USB config is solid now, and I noticed computer sleeps and wakes with no issues it’s great. I didn’t see a section listed as iGPU so don’t know if I did that properly may have to try again I did switch myself to 19,1 prior to doing it so not sure if I maybe missed something when doing so must I only use that specific version of hackintools I used the updated version could that hAve been my issue?

outaide of that computer is running awesome iCloud and iMessages services working sleep wake and efficient now I just need tocable manage my PSU cables and I’ll be done then just plug in both monitors and good. I’m trying to get the iGPU running for decoding and encoding to use quick sync and hardware accelerated encoding for a few different services here is the build ^_^

Don’t mind the RAM change in photos went from 2666 LPX and got a hell of a deal on 3200mhz 64GB RGB Corsair pro for way less

Attachments

• B6839119-AAF2-4F78-A590-ED023F1CEC49.jpeg
    B6839119-AAF2-4F78-A590-ED023F1CEC49.jpeg
    107.1 KB · Views: 57
  • AC260883-2FB1-465D-9A37-DCFEAD840847.jpeg
    AC260883-2FB1-465D-9A37-DCFEAD840847.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 49
Try clicking “Scaled” and test the various options. Is there an option that makes everything look as sharp as the MacBook Pro connected to LG UltraFine 5K?

No, 2560 x 1440 is the closest thing, but its not as sharp as the MacBook Pro/LG 5K combo.

I just swapped my "RX580" card for a "Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64" card and all seems to be well, except the "About this Mac" info is wrong. Not sure what is causing this, any ideas on how to fix it?

View attachment 437881
Clover Configurator —> Devices —> Arbitrary probably has an invalid entry. Also, if your CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder has an RX 580 SSDT, it should be deleted.

@CaseySJ

Hi mate! Followed the mini guide (Catalina) and kept getting a kernel panic. Couldn't really troubleshoot on my own having read the first few pages here and everything since the mini guide. iGPU on HDMI with i7-9700K on Z390 Designare. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Also, a general question: Is there a robust way to output to a log file during boot up? I had to film at high frame rate just to see that it was a kernel panic. :/

OK, I meanwhile managed to install Catalina doing the upgrade path from Mojave using both my iGPU and my external Sapphire Pulse 5700XT. It´s been the strangest update ride I've ever encountered.

1. Installed Mojave 100% sticking to the install guide on page 1 of this thread. Installed with iGPU and HDMI Fix.
2. Went to the App Store and chose to update to Catalina. Catalina Installer prepares, running the update. Screen starts showing all the debugging stuff and went pitch black. Still on iGPU. Nothing happens from this point in time. Waited, tried a few times, same result.
3. Installed the Sapphire 5700XT, changed BIOS initial Display Output and ran again. Debugging starts, Screen went green and purple for about 5-10 Mins with a white line on top. White line vanishes and all of a sudden GPU fans stop working and screen went black again. Mainboard still on.
4. Tried again, same result, but this time I tried to hot swap the HDMI cable shortly after the fans stop. What is see is not exactly what i expected but the Catalina Login Screen on the Monitor.

So I am on Catalina 10.15.1, ATM. Seems to be working quite good with iGPU. I tried to update to the latest Beta but every time I start the Update process the Apple logo appears and the progress bar is starting but after a short while the system is rebooting into 10.15.1. again.

eGPU stops working the moment the login screen ist up and ready. Any Idea? adgpmod=pikera was missing and did the job. Fans still stop working, that might be normal under no heavy load but system idle.

Last edited:
I've been following this thread for a few weeks, and it all seems really interesting. I'm considering building my first Hackintosh in the next few months to replace my ageing 2012 Mac mini. I'm not looking at doing anything graphics intensive initially so I was wondering if this kind of build would work running purely on Intel graphics from a 9700K?

@CaseySJ

Hi mate! Followed the mini guide (Catalina) and kept getting a kernel panic. Couldn't really troubleshoot on my own having read the first few pages here and everything since the mini guide. iGPU on HDMI with i7-9700K on Z390 Designare. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Also, a general question: Is there a robust way to output to a log file during boot up? I had to film at high frame rate just to see that it was a kernel panic. :/
Welcome to the forum! Please click here and enter your:
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • Graphics
Sone questions and suggestions:
  • If there’s no discrete AMD GPU in the system, have you set Platform ID to 0x3E9B0007 per the sample config.plist located here?
  • What is the make/model of your monitor? Is it a TV?
  • At which point does the kernel panic occur? When selecting:
    • Boot macOS Install from Install macOS Catalina
    • Boot macOS from Catalina - Data
    • Boot macOS from Catalina
  • If you’ve recorded a video, you may scrub that video frame by frame until the moment before the kernel panic is thrown. Then screen-capture one or two of those frames.

OK, I meanwhile managed to install Catalina doing the upgrade path from Mojave using both my iGPU and my external Sapphire Pulse 5700XT. It´s been the strangest update ride I've ever encountered.

1. Installed Mojave 100% sticking to the install guide on page 1 of this thread. Installed with iGPU and HDMI Fix.
I like you already! No Fake GPU device ID specified in Clover Configurator —> Devices at the top left?
2. Went to the App Store and chose to update to Catalina. Catalina Installer prepares, running the update. Screen starts showing all the debugging stuff and went pitch black. Still on iGPU. Nothing happens from this point in time. Waited, tried a few times, same result.
Are you using SMBIOS iMac19,1? How long did you wait before restarting?
3. Installed the Sapphire 5700XT, changed BIOS initial Display Output and ran again. Debugging starts, Screen went green and purple for about 5-10 Mins with a white line on top. White line vanishes and all of a sudden GPU fans stop working and screen went black again. Mainboard still on.
This is with HDMI connector patch still applied (which is okay)?
4. Tried again, same result, but this time I tried to hot swap the HDMI cable shortly after the fans stop. What is see is not exactly what i expected but the Catalina Login Screen on the Monitor.
HDMI hot-plug seems to reactivate the GPU. Do you have a DisplayPort cable and DP-capable monitor? DP should be more reliable.
So I am on Catalina 10.15.1 ATM. Seems to be working quite good with iGPU.
With iGPU or with RX 5700 XT GPU?
I tried to update to the latest Beta but every time I start the Update process the Apple logo appears and the progress bar is starting but after a short while the system is rebooting into 10.15.1. again.
When you begin the update and the system restarts, do you see an option in Clover Boot Manager entitled Boot macOS Install from Catalina or Boot macOS Install from Catalina - Data? The keyword to look for is Install. You must manually choose that option if it’s not the default.
eGPU stops working the moment the login screen ist up and ready. Any Idea?
adgpmod=pikera was missing and did the job. Fans still stop working, that might be normal under no heavy load but system idle.
Yes this is normal. AMD GPUs have fan-stop BIOS. Fans will turn on when temperature reaches 50-60C.

Back