Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Has anyone using the gc-titan ridge card updated the FW using the B19.1017.1 update? It's dated 10/17/2019. Not seeing any info posted about it.
Intriguing! I have the GC-Titan Ridge in my Asus X99 Deluxe II, but hesitant to update because previous firmware is not present on the Gigabyte website (as far as I can tell), hence no going back.

That message is probably coming from one of the drives connected to the card and not from the card itself. You can test that by disconnecting all drives and checking whether the message still appears.

If the message is in fact due to a connected drive, run “Disk Utility”, select “View —> Show all devices” and click through each of the disks/partitions that you see. Note the Format or Scheme of each one. Or post a screenshot.
I get two of them with nothing hooked up to the card! I do have SATA cables plugged in the card (3 of them for now), but nothing on the other end of them. I found something about this mystery partition searching on the Internet, but now I can't find it again.

disks2.png

disks.png

Last edited:
I seem to have lost nvram as my sound preferences keep reseting. This is the first thing that seems to have changed since moving to OCQuirks test-4. I'm still using EmuVariableUefi.efi. I have also re-enabled CSM and have not had any boot issues. Is it possible CSM could cause this?

I get two of them with nothing hooked up to the card! I do have SATA cables plugged in the card (3 of them for now), but nothing on the other end of them. I found something about this mystery partition searching on the Internet, but now I can't find it again.

View attachment 436245
View attachment 436244
Based on this thread (click here), this seems to be normal (albeit aggravating) for unconnected ports. Once a drive is connected, it should go away. The firmware on the card may be creating these dummy drives.

Can you grab a screenshot of the message that pops up? Is it a notification that slides away by itself or is it a dialog box that needs to be dismissed?

I seem to have lost nvram as my sound preferences keep reseting. This is the first thing that seems to have changed since moving to OCQuirks test-4. I'm still using EmuVariableUefi.efi. I have also re-enabled CSM and have not had any boot issues. Is it possible CSM could cause this?
Sound preferences (from System Preferences --> Sound) are saved to a file in /Library/Preferences/Audio folder.
Screen Shot 2019-11-16 at 10.23.13 AM.png

Suggestion:
  • Check whether these files exist.
  • Make a backup (copy them to your Documents or Downloads folder).
  • Then delete the two plist files shown above.
  • Reboot.
  • Open System Preferences --> Sound
  • Select the input and output devices.
  • Reboot and check whether the system preserves those input and output selections.

Based on this thread (click here), this seems to be normal (albeit aggravating) for unconnected ports. Once a drive is connected, it should go away. The firmware on the card may be creating these dummy drives.

Can you grab a screenshot of the message that pops up? Is it a notification that slides away by itself or is it a dialog box that needs to be dismissed?
Right. I guess maybe when I had one drive connected it made one of them go away, with no drives there are two, so maybe each one handles 3 ports. I wonder if the other 4 port cards you suggest have the same "feature." I guess I will connect two drives to the card and try to kill the two dummy drives.

Dialog is the normal one you get with unformatted/new drive. I wonder what would happen if I try to initialize it.

error.png

Welcome to the forum! Note that we enforce the Rules quite strictly. Please enter your CPU, Graphics and Motherboard information in your profile (just click here) so it appears under your avatar. This saves us from asking for the same information repeatedly.

Your motherboard does not come with on-board Thunderbolt. Are you using a Thunderbolt add-in-card (AIC)? If so, which one?

I don't have a Thunderbolt add-in-card currently. witch one would you recommend I buy? And how can I fix the CPU name problem in the About this Mac window ? I tried the method described in the spoiler above and it didn't work.

I don't have a Thunderbolt add-in-card currently. witch one would you recommend I buy?
Gigabyte's GC-Titan Ridge is the preferred card. If you decide to purchase it, I can provide a SSDT that will enable Thunderbolt hot-plug.
And how can I fix the CPU name problem in the About this Mac window ? I tried the method described in the spoiler above and it didn't work.
The procedure is different between Mojave and Catalina. Which version are you running? Also, please attach screenshot of "About this Mac" but black-out the Serial number.

Gigabyte's GC-Titan Ridge is the preferred card. If you decide to purchase it, I can provide a SSDT that will enable Thunderbolt hot-plug.

The procedure is different between Mojave and Catalina. Which version are you running? Also, please attach screenshot of "About this Mac" but black-out the Serial number.
Screenshot .png

Oh yes, I need to update that section of the build guide because 9th Gen Intel CPUs are no longer "Unknown" in 10.14.4 and newer. Although I no longer have Mojave, you may want to search AppleSystemInfo.strings (see Step 7 in the spoiler Specifying CPU Name in 'About this Mac') for "Intel Core i9" and rename it accordingly. Feel free to post that file here and I'll take a look at it.

Back