Contribute
Register

Struggling to get Catalina upgrade working on clover or opencore. 9900K Z390 rx580.

Hi,

Given current USBPorts config and the fact it's still rebooting after shutdown with or without the bluetooth adapter what would you recommend trying next?

Thanks!

Okay, your other options are now any other attached devices, for example - external hubs!! Instant wake can be caused by port polling. However ...

Next is general power management. Did you create your own SSDTs for this or did you use generic ones?

:)

Okay, your other options are now any other attached devices, for example - external hubs!! Instant wake can be caused by port polling. However ...

Next is general power management. Did you create your own SSDTs for this or did you use generic ones?

Hey, thanks.

At the moment, nothing is connected to USB except for keyboard/mouse. (only non-essential item is pci soundcard listed below)

I didn't create my own SSDTs, I used the pre-built ones from https://dortania.github.io/Getting-...ethods/ssdt-prebuilt.html#intel-desktop-ssdts

I started the process of creating my SSDT on here : https://dortania.github.io/Getting-Started-With-ACPI/Manual/dump.html but then I got lost.

I managed to use SysReport to create the DSDT and other aml files (pic below) but not sure how to make the relevant SSDT files from it. I've got the MaciASL and iasl installed.

This page explains how to covert aml->dsd and vice versa

I presume I need to create replacements for these but I'm not sure how to go about that.

1678049570615.png

1678049364765.png

Just for reference, Internally, I have :
- Gigabyte z390 Auros pro (The Bios is at F10, F12 is latest)
- Samsung 870 evo 2tb harddisk
- PSU is a EVGA 1300 G2
- 32gb corsair ram

PCI cards
- Sapphire RX580
- RME RayDat PCIe soundcard

Thanks!

Hey, thanks.

At the moment, nothing is connected to USB except for keyboard/mouse. (only non-essential item is pci soundcard listed below)

I didn't create my own SSDTs, I used the pre-built ones from https://dortania.github.io/Getting-...ethods/ssdt-prebuilt.html#intel-desktop-ssdts

I started the process of creating my SSDT on here : https://dortania.github.io/Getting-Started-With-ACPI/Manual/dump.html but then I got lost.

I managed to use SysReport to create the DSDT and other aml files (pic below) but not sure how to make the relevant SSDT files from it. I've got the MaciASL and iasl installed.

This page explains how to covert aml->dsd and vice versa

I presume I need to create replacements for these but I'm not sure how to go about that.

View attachment 564232

View attachment 564231

Just for reference, Internally, I have :
- Gigabyte z390 Auros pro (The Bios is at F10, F12 is latest)
- Samsung 870 evo 2tb harddisk
- PSU is a EVGA 1300 G2
- 32gb corsair ram

PCI cards
- Sapphire RX580
- RME RayDat PCIe soundcard

Thanks!

Well, for the SSDTs and power-management I would start by following @Edhawk 's guide:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/custom-ssdts-using-corpnewts-ssdttime.318976/post-2308180

Then jump to:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/custom-ssdts-using-corpnewts-ssdttime.318976/post-2340152

... which details an upgrade made by CorpNewt to their original python code to generate more SSDTs.

This will do the job. @Edhawk knows what he's talking about.

I go a slightly different route for USB power-management, but we can ignore that for now as USB seems sorted!

:thumbup:

Last edited:
Well, for the SSDTs and power-management I would start by following @Edhawk 's guide:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/custom-ssdts-using-corpnewts-ssdttime.318976/post-2308180

Then jump to:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/custom-ssdts-using-corpnewts-ssdttime.318976/post-2340152

... which details an upgrade made by CorpNewt to their original python code to generate more SSDTs.

This will do the job. @Edhawk knows what he's talking about.

I go a slightly different route for USB power-management, but we can ignore that for now as USB seems sorted!

:thumbup:

Ok great, Thanks for the link - I'll go through that now.

Ok, so I've given that a go.

I first used the DSDT.aml file that I had already generated using SysReport. I fed that into SSDTime and generated

SSDT-EC.aml SSDT-HPET.aml SSDT-PLUG.aml SSDT-USBX.aml patches_Clover.plist
SSDT-EC.dsl SSDT-HPET.dsl SSDT-PLUG.dsl SSDT-USBX.dsl patches_OC.plist

I had 4 of the existing amls in ACPI folder (looks like EC + USB were combined)
SSDT-AWAC.aml SSDT-EC-USBX-DESKTOP.aml SSDT-PLUG-DRTNIA.aml SSDT-PMC.aml

I removed 3 of them except PMC since there didnt seem to be a replacement for that one and ended up with:
SSDT-EC.aml SSDT-HPET.aml SSDT-PLUG.aml SSDT-USBX.aml SSDT-PMC.aml

Added the patches to config.plist and updated the Add section.

Shutdown, reboot reset nvram. Same as before.
I tried again removing USBX on the basis of the comment on the thread. Sadly no change either.

1678056205630.png

On the 2nd thread, I did the USBX but I didnt understand what to ender for the device path in point 9.
And point A.XOSI seemed windows specific.

1678056272083.png

Attachments

• 1678052672132.png
    1678052672132.png
    84.7 KB · Views: 27
Ok, so I've given that a go.

I first used the DSDT.aml file that I had already generated using SysReport. I fed that into SSDTime and generated

SSDT-EC.aml SSDT-HPET.aml SSDT-PLUG.aml SSDT-USBX.aml patches_Clover.plist
SSDT-EC.dsl SSDT-HPET.dsl SSDT-PLUG.dsl SSDT-USBX.dsl patches_OC.plist

I had 4 of the existing amls in ACPI folder (looks like EC + USB were combined)
SSDT-AWAC.aml SSDT-EC-USBX-DESKTOP.aml SSDT-PLUG-DRTNIA.aml SSDT-PMC.aml

I removed 3 of them except PMC since there didnt seem to be a replacement for that one and ended up with:
SSDT-EC.aml SSDT-HPET.aml SSDT-PLUG.aml SSDT-USBX.aml SSDT-PMC.aml

Added the patches to config.plist and updated the Add section.

Shutdown, reboot reset nvram. Same as before.
I tried again removing USBX on the basis of the comment on the thread. Sadly no change either.

View attachment 564245
On the 2nd thread, I did the USBX but I didnt understand what to ender for the device path in point 9.
And point A.XOSI seemed windows specific.

View attachment 564246

Sorry you've had no luck. You did well though, following all the guides. 10/10 :thumbup:

Incidentally, if you are using the USBPorts.kext method to configure USB ports instead of SSDT-UIAC.aml, then you have the USBX code already included in it, so you don't need the SSDT for that.

Also, as far as I'm aware, the SSDT-PLUG.aml is not needed since Monterey 12.3

So that just leaves us with your - RME RayDat PCIe soundcard. There is so much on-board connectivity, including USB (ARC USB?) that it may be the cause of failed Shutdown and is worth considering.

To be honest, I can't help further with that as the sound card is not one I'm familiar with.

Sorry you've had no luck. You did well though, following all the guides. 10/10 :thumbup:

Incidentally, if you are using the USBPorts.kext method to configure USB ports instead of SSDT-UIAC.aml, then you have the USBX code already included in it, so you don't need the SSDT for that.

Also, as far as I'm aware, the SSDT-PLUG.aml is not needed since Monterey 12.3

So that just leaves us with your - RME RayDat PCIe soundcard. There is so much on-board connectivity, including USB (ARC USB?) that it may be the cause of failed Shutdown and is worth considering.

To be honest, I can't help further with that as the sound card is not one I'm familiar with.

Ha thanks!

Yeah I try, it's my main machine and I'm just trying to make sure it's stable and avoid paying $$$$ for a real mac.

I've been getting so many prompts to move off High Sierra and quite a lot of software won't even install any more.

So as I've got USBPorts.kext so I'll remove the USBX aml. Thanks for the tip.

I'll also try removing the Raydat pci card and seeing if that makes any difference.

Couple of questions..

1) The machine is upgraded to Catalina now. It would be nice though to get it onto Big Sur or Monterey. Now that it's on Opencore instead of Clover should it be more straightforward to upgrade? Would I expect it to just work or is it likely to be other issues to deal with?

2) I came across this guide for my motherboard:
https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/t...a-install-guide-aorus-z390-pro-z390-master/It mentions a few things including :
- BIOS Version and BIOS Settings incl: CFG Lock, iGPU etc.
- Custom SSDTs and patches

Do you think this is likely to be bios related?

----

It's amazing how far the tooling has come over the years but it still doesn't seem to get much easier. I've spent 7 days trying to get my machine updated this time. I think it was about 3 days the last time.

Anyway, Thanks very much for your help and your patience. It can't be easy helping people when everyone's setup is so different and there are so many ways to get it wrong!

Ha thanks!

Yeah I try, it's my main machine and I'm just trying to make sure it's stable and avoid paying $$$$ for a real mac.

I've been getting so many prompts to move off High Sierra and quite a lot of software won't even install any more.

So as I've got USBPorts.kext so I'll remove the USBX aml. Thanks for the tip.

I'll also try removing the Raydat pci card and seeing if that makes any difference.

Couple of questions..

1) The machine is upgraded to Catalina now. It would be nice though to get it onto Big Sur or Monterey. Now that it's on Opencore instead of Clover should it be more straightforward to upgrade? Would I expect it to just work or is it likely to be other issues to deal with?

2) I came across this guide for my motherboard:
https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/t...a-install-guide-aorus-z390-pro-z390-master/It mentions a few things including :
- BIOS Version and BIOS Settings incl: CFG Lock, iGPU etc.
- Custom SSDTs and patches

Do you think this is likely to be bios related?

----

It's amazing how far the tooling has come over the years but it still doesn't seem to get much easier. I've spent 7 days trying to get my machine updated this time. I think it was about 3 days the last time.

Anyway, Thanks very much for your help and your patience. It can't be easy helping people when everyone's setup is so different and there are so many ways to get it wrong!

Well, OpenCore is better in many ways than Clover but it isn't exactly easier. You get closer to the hardware with OC and things like Bootcamp are reported as working. Besides, when you wish to move to the latest macOS version Clover has had to change and incorporate OpenCore runtimes anyway. It's worth the learning-curve in the end, but it takes a bit of adjusting to. The key to success is to check your new config.plist with the "ocvalidate" utility after every edit. Perhaps think about the move once you've sorted the present issue. :thumbup:

Your Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro is a popular motherboard and there are plenty of User Builds and Support questions here about it. For example here's one I found for Monterey:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...r-monterey-opencore-0-7-8.316448/post-2281867

Obviously I'm not going to send you off-site! Support is easier when all the info is in one place. :)

Basically go to the Search icon top-left of screen, enter your motherboard and go.

To answer your question, if a later BIOS includes things like CFG Lock which weren't there originally, then an upgrade is worth it. Otherwise why fix what isn't broken?

Your RX580 should be no trouble with the latest Whatevergreen.kext. Set iGPU to Auto in BIOS unless you need it for video rendering, something a genuine Apple Mac does if one is present. Then you Enable it but will have to set it as "headless" in your OC configuration.

Well, OpenCore is better in many ways than Clover but it isn't exactly easier. You get closer to the hardware with OC and things like Bootcamp are reported as working. Besides, when you wish to move to the latest macOS version Clover has had to change and incorporate OpenCore runtimes anyway. It's worth the learning-curve in the end, but it takes a bit of adjusting to. The key to success is to check your new config.plist with the "ocvalidate" utility after every edit. Perhaps think about the move once you've sorted the present issue. :thumbup:

Your Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro is a popular motherboard and there are plenty of User Builds and Support questions here about it. For example here's one I found for Monterey:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...r-monterey-opencore-0-7-8.316448/post-2281867

Obviously I'm not going to send you off-site! Support is easier when all the info is in one place. :)

Basically go to the Search icon top-left of screen, enter your motherboard and go.

To answer your question, if a later BIOS includes things like CFG Lock which weren't there originally, then an upgrade is worth it. Otherwise why fix what isn't broken?

Your RX580 should be no trouble with the latest Whatevergreen.kext. Set iGPU to Auto in BIOS unless you need it for video rendering, something a genuine Apple Mac does if one is present. Then you Enable it but will have to set it as "headless" in your OC configuration.

Hi, just wanted to followup here. I managed to run with Catalina successfully for the last few months. I decided to have a go to push it to Monterey or Ventura and finally completed that today after a few days of late night farting around.

It wasn't happening with the config plist I already had - it kept getting stuck during the installation. Using the ocvalidate to clean up my config sorted it out. I'm still not sure exactly which value was causing the issue.

After that, everything seemed ok except for my Belkin bluetooth adapter so I purchased and installed a Fevi 919 and now it's working. Fingers crossed it stays stable. It seems to be shutting down much smoother than Catalina anyway which is a good sign.

All in al, I've now been running this Hackintosh since around 2009/2010.

I've upgraded from Snow Leopard -> Mavericks -> High Sierra -> Catalina -> Ventura.

The hardware has changed from Q6600 -> X99 5820K -> 9900K, initially with Nvidia cards and now a Radeon 580.

I think I've managed to avoid a fresh install since Mavericks - I can't remember before that.

With Apple's move to ARM now, I wonder if this will be my last update or one more maybe ;-)

Thanks to all those making it possible and helping out on these forums!

Back