Contribute
Register

Struggling to get Catalina upgrade working on clover or opencore. 9900K Z390 rx580.

So after it went black again trying the intelmausi kext, I left it and was reading another webpage. Suddenly it came to life and I could log in and internet works.

It still doesn't shutdown though.. and after forcing a shutdown, it takes a couple of minutes to startup again - maybe due to not shutting down properly?

What do you think could be causing this?
various things can cause that issue

first thing is to make sure you have done this correctly:
as that can solve a lot of issues

Hi, thanks!

Ok I've followed that procedure and done the USB mapping now.

The boot up process still takes 3 or 4 minutes but now it is different, rather than going black for a long time, it now pauses on debug output.. then there is a bit of a fan spin and then it goes to the apple loading screen.

As for shutdown, it still isn't happening. I left it for 1 hour and it just stays frozen showing the background desktop

I’ve seen some recommendations elsewhere to upgrade my BIOS to F12 (I'm on F10) - is there any risk that doing so would break my existing clover High Sierra install? It seems like the bios cannot be reverted due to security issue, so I'm a bit reluctant to try it.

I've pasted the USB mapping below.

What's next for me to try?

Thanks!

1677671916237.png

1677671924254.png

Hi, thanks!

Ok I've followed that procedure and done the USB mapping now.

The boot up process still takes 3 or 4 minutes but now it is different, rather than going black for a long time, it now pauses on debug output.. then there is a bit of a fan spin and then it goes to the apple loading screen.

As for shutdown, it still isn't happening. I left it for 1 hour and it just stays frozen showing the background desktop

I’ve seen some recommendations elsewhere to upgrade my BIOS to F12 (I'm on F10) - is there any risk that doing so would break my existing clover High Sierra install? It seems like the bios cannot be reverted due to security issue, so I'm a bit reluctant to try it.

I've pasted the USB mapping below.

What's next for me to try?

Thanks!

View attachment 564112
View attachment 564113
remove boot arguments:
keepsyms=1 debug=0x100

disable (in config.plist)
AppleDebug

Ah nice. That seems to have improved things.

It now boots quicker and shutdown ran the shutdown process but then it restarted automatically. After the restart, USB seemed broken - wireless keyboard/mouse not working - this is something I used to have on previous High Sierra build.

This is my boot-args now - Should I have darkwake=0?

<key>boot-args</key>
<string>-v alcid=1 darkwake=0</string>

<key>AppleDebug</key>
<false/>

I found these instructions to help with shutdown although I'm struggling to understand how to do it. Do you think this would help to prevent the restart and do a proper shutdown?

Thanks again for your help so far.

Ah nice. That seems to have improved things.

It now boots quicker and shutdown ran the shutdown process but then it restarted automatically. After the restart, USB seemed broken - wireless keyboard/mouse not working - this is something I used to have on previous High Sierra build.

This is my boot-args now - Should I have darkwake=0?

<key>boot-args</key>
<string>-v alcid=1 darkwake=0</string>

<key>AppleDebug</key>
<false/>

I found these instructions to help with shutdown although I'm struggling to understand how to do it. Do you think this would help to prevent the restart and do a proper shutdown?

Thanks again for your help so far.
probably do not need darkwake

disable it to test, reset nvram etc

regards to your USB setup, seems strange not to see HS04 listed or HS08 (they are normally in pairs)

HS11 -13 showing but no SS ports for those? or should they be set to USB2?

remove both those ports to test (export new usbports kext to use)

probably do not need darkwake

disable it to test, reset nvram etc

regards to your USB setup, seems strange not to see HS04 listed or HS08 (they are normally in pairs)

HS11 -13 showing but no SS ports for those? or should they be set to USB2?

remove both those ports to test (export new usbports kext to use)

Just double checking the USB Slots again.

Yes HS11,13 are usb2 only ( 2 front panel and 4 rear panel hubs I think). They say USB2.0 hub with nothing plugged in

I don't know what that 12 is. It says ITE Device(8595) with nothing plugged in.

Should I change the connector field from USB3 -> USB2 for the HS* ones?

My USB notes below. There are 18 total.

I dropped HS4,7,8 to meet the 15 limit.

FRONT panel
--------------
SS10 (usb3) / HS10 (usb2) - front1
SS09 (usb3) / HS09 (usb2) - front2

HS11 - (Listed as USB2.0 hub) - suspect front 3 + 4 (putting something in slots 3 or 4 doesn't register in table - same with top 4 slots on rear.

HS12 - ITE Device (5895) - what is this?

REAR PANEL
--------------
HS13 - usb2 - USB2.0 Hub (built-in) 2.0 Back Hub - think this is top 4 usb 2 ports on back panel (far left on picture below)

SS03 - usb3 / HS03 - above USBC (USB3.1 - red on pic)
SS04 - usb3 / HS04 - above USBC
SS05 - usb3 / HS05 - beside USBC (USB3.1- red on pic)
SS06 - usb-C
SS07 - usb3 / HS07 - below USBC
SS08 - usb3 / HS08- below USBC

Just double checking the USB Slots again.

Yes HS11,13 are usb2 only ( 2 front panel and 4 rear panel hubs I think). They say USB2.0 hub with nothing plugged in

I don't know what that 12 is. It says ITE Device(8595) with nothing plugged in.

Should I change the connector field from USB3 -> USB2 for the HS* ones?

My USB notes below. There are 18 total.

I dropped HS4,7,8 to meet the 15 limit.

FRONT panel
--------------
SS10 (usb3) / HS10 (usb2) - front1
SS09 (usb3) / HS09 (usb2) - front2

HS11 - (Listed as USB2.0 hub) - suspect front 3 + 4 (putting something in slots 3 or 4 doesn't register in table - same with top 4 slots on rear.

HS12 - ITE Device (5895) - what is this?

REAR PANEL
--------------
HS13 - usb2 - USB2.0 Hub (built-in) 2.0 Back Hub - think this is top 4 usb 2 ports on back panel (far left on picture below)

SS03 - usb3 / HS03 - above USBC (USB3.1 - red on pic)
SS04 - usb3 / HS04 - above USBC
SS05 - usb3 / HS05 - beside USBC (USB3.1- red on pic)
SS06 - usb-C
SS07 - usb3 / HS07 - below USBC
SS08 - usb3 / HS08- below USBC

once you have all your hs and ss ports setup (and set correctly, ie USb2 or 3

then remove the ones you can live without until you have 15 or less

ie example remove HS10 and SS10 to remove that entire port

ok i've whittled it down to just this for now.

1677689603318.png

I've also removed darkwake=0 and it didn't seem to change anything.

It's still not shutting down properly - It typically closes applications, then sits on the background for about 60seconds, then it goes black and sometimes it reboots (with broken usb) and sometimes just sits there with fans spinning.

Boot time is pretty good - about 30s from selecting boot partition to login option appearing. Occasionally it doesn't find my bluetooth keyboard/mouse straight away.

ok i've whittled it down to just this for now.

View attachment 564118

I've also removed darkwake=0 and it didn't seem to change anything.

It's still not shutting down properly - It typically closes applications, then sits on the background for about 60seconds, then it goes black and sometimes it reboots (with broken usb) and sometimes just sits there with fans spinning.

Boot time is pretty good - about 30s from selecting boot partition to login option appearing. Occasionally it doesn't find my bluetooth keyboard/mouse straight away.
your HS ports should be set to USB3

Back