Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
iBook, Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
@Stork I am giving up on Nvidia drivers and taking out the 980 out of the system. Will the IGPU drive 4K at 60Hz (not for gaming but desktop use)?

If yes, do I just use intel 530 or something different?
@dirtydignity, I don't know since I only have used a descrete graphics card with MyHero. You'll have to check the User's Manual. I know (from reports) that macOS doesn't not support HDMI 4K at 60MHz, only 30MHz which will give you a lousy 4K display using HDMI. So, you'll need to use the on-board DisplayPort. Maybe @pastrychef knows the answer to your question.
I don't know. I do know that 4K@60Hz was not working with Hgh Sierra but I haven't tested in Mojave. I think that 4K@60Hz support may have improved since the release of the new Mac mini, but, again, I haven't tested.

I'd be willing to test on my Skylake Clunker build but, unfortunately, the OptiPlex BIOS is very limited and I didn't even have the option to set VRAM for the HD 530. I believe this was the reason why I ended up with a very limited number of choices for screen resolutions. In the end, I just picked up a used RX 560 from eBay for $70...

Motherboard
Asus Maximus VIII Hero
CPU
i7-6700k
Graphics
GTX 980
Mac
iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thanks @pastrychef and @Stork ! I might just buy a RX580 and sell the 980. That would save me a lot of hassle.

Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS HERO X Z370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
@dirtydignity I had a Nvidia GTX 980 when I first started my Skylake build, and it drove me nuts looking for fixes to get it running smoothly without graphical glitches. So I sold it on eBay and switched to a Sapphire RX 580 Pulse, and it worked OOB. Even HDMI audio is working flawlessly. Get the RX 580 you wont regret it. I use mine for video editing and haven't had a single hickup.

Attachments

Motherboard
Maximus Viii Ranger
CPU
Graphics
Does anyone have problems with the microphone using Maximus VIII on High Sierra? If I'm the only one, I'll try to reinstall. However, if it's a common issue I'll buy a USB adapter as suggested.

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO Z370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Does anyone have problems with the microphone using Maximus VIII on High Sierra? If I'm the only one, I'll try to reinstall. However, if it's a common issue I'll buy a USB adapter as suggested.
I haven't tried the microphone (Back or Front Panel) in a while. But, it did work when I tested the system initially. Unfortunately, I won't be able to test it as I'm visiting family.

Motherboard
Maximus Viii Ranger
CPU
Graphics
I haven't tried the microphone (Back or Front Panel) in a while. But, it did work when I tested the system initially. Unfortunately, I won't be able to test it as I'm visiting family.
Thanks for the reply. I'll try to reinstall and see if it was an install issue.

Motherboard
ASUS Maximus VIII
CPU
i5 6600K
Graphics
Nvidia GTX 1070
Hi @Stork,

Thanks for the great post. I have followed your post as is except that I have installed High Sierra onto a USB 3.1 drive.
Everything went smoothly. However, I am facing an issue:
As soon as I login and perform some operations, especially when trying to play a video or what not, the computer freezes and restarts itself.
I have used aptioMemoryFix-64.efi while booting as I suspected that memory is the issue. However, the freeze is very constant and occurs in the first 10 to 15mins. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Solved:
Ok. Turns out that I had previously overclocked my rig using ASUS AI Suite in Windows. The processor I have is i5-6500K and I got an overclock of 4.6GHz. I also have Patriot Memory that I have overclocked at 3200Mhz.
None of the Extreme Tweaking options worked. I had to set Extreme Tweaking to Auto which I believe only overclocks the Rig at 3.9GHz for processor and 2300Mhz for Memory.

The overclock worked without issues on multiple Linux distributions I have running, shame that it doesn't work on MacOs.

Motherboard
ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger
CPU
I7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 960
Mobile Phone
iOS
I am also considering to switch from a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 to a AMD 580 graphics card from Tonymac's suggested cards so as to be able to switch from High Sierra to Mojave. However I am wondering how to proceed : If I switch cards , will High Sierra recognize it OOB ( and then I will upgrade to Mojave ) or must I switch cards and directly perform the Mojave installation just after that? Any useful link ? Thanks !

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO Z370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
I am also considering to switch from a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 to a AMD 580 graphics card from Tonymac's suggested cards so as to be able to switch from High Sierra to Mojave. However I am wondering how to proceed : If I switch cards , will High Sierra recognize it OOB ( and then I will upgrade to Mojave ) or must I switch cards and directly perform the Mojave installation just after that? Any useful link ? Thanks !
High Sierra 10.13.6 will recognize the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB graphics card OOB which is why I'm using this card is serveral of my rigs. You may have problems with other brands/models of AMD cards.

To switch graphics cards, first boot using the GTX 960. In the config.plist, set the SystemParameters/NvidiaWeb = No. Then, remove the Nvidia drivers using the Nvidia System Preference pane Uninstall option. When it wants to reboot, shut down and install the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB graphics card. That should do it. :thumbup:

Motherboard
Asus Maximus VIII Hero
CPU
i7-6700k
Graphics
GTX 980
Mac
iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
@Stork @pastrychef @WarMachine I sold my 980 and got the RX580. This thing is plug and play. Running Mojave without changing anything.

I have one issue though. When my hackintosh goes to sleep, I can click my mouse and keyboard to wake it up. I can see that the Hackintosh is on but my display shows "No Signal". I use the HDMI port. If I unplug and plug HDMI back in, it works. So at the moment, wake from sleep is somewhat working. Any idea what could cause this issue?

I have read multiple things like RadeonDeInit, darkawake and setting CFB_FB_LIMIT. I don't want to try all of them without having any background on them.