Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Stork,

Thanks for the great post. I have followed your post as is except that I have installed High Sierra onto a USB 3.1 drive.
Everything went smoothly. However, I am facing an issue:
As soon as I login and perform some operations, especially when trying to play a video or what not, the computer freezes and restarts itself.
I have used aptioMemoryFix-64.efi while booting as I suspected that memory is the issue. However, the freeze is very constant and occurs in the first 10 to 15mins. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Solved:
Ok. Turns out that I had previously overclocked my rig using ASUS AI Suite in Windows. The processor I have is i5-6500K and I got an overclock of 4.6GHz. I also have Patriot Memory that I have overclocked at 3200Mhz.
None of the Extreme Tweaking options worked. I had to set Extreme Tweaking to Auto which I believe only overclocks the Rig at 3.9GHz for processor and 2300Mhz for Memory.

The overclock worked without issues on multiple Linux distributions I have running, shame that it doesn't work on MacOs.

I am also considering to switch from a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 to a AMD 580 graphics card from Tonymac's suggested cards so as to be able to switch from High Sierra to Mojave. However I am wondering how to proceed : If I switch cards , will High Sierra recognize it OOB ( and then I will upgrade to Mojave ) or must I switch cards and directly perform the Mojave installation just after that? Any useful link ? Thanks !

I am also considering to switch from a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 to a AMD 580 graphics card from Tonymac's suggested cards so as to be able to switch from High Sierra to Mojave. However I am wondering how to proceed : If I switch cards , will High Sierra recognize it OOB ( and then I will upgrade to Mojave ) or must I switch cards and directly perform the Mojave installation just after that? Any useful link ? Thanks !
High Sierra 10.13.6 will recognize the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB graphics card OOB which is why I'm using this card is serveral of my rigs. You may have problems with other brands/models of AMD cards.

To switch graphics cards, first boot using the GTX 960. In the config.plist, set the SystemParameters/NvidiaWeb = No. Then, remove the Nvidia drivers using the Nvidia System Preference pane Uninstall option. When it wants to reboot, shut down and install the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB graphics card. That should do it. :thumbup:

@Stork @pastrychef @WarMachine I sold my 980 and got the RX580. This thing is plug and play. Running Mojave without changing anything.

I have one issue though. When my hackintosh goes to sleep, I can click my mouse and keyboard to wake it up. I can see that the Hackintosh is on but my display shows "No Signal". I use the HDMI port. If I unplug and plug HDMI back in, it works. So at the moment, wake from sleep is somewhat working. Any idea what could cause this issue?

I have read multiple things like RadeonDeInit, darkawake and setting CFB_FB_LIMIT. I don't want to try all of them without having any background on them.

@Stork @pastrychef @WarMachine I sold my 980 and got the RX580. This thing is plug and play. Running Mojave without changing anything.

I have one issue though. When my hackintosh goes to sleep, I can click my mouse and keyboard to wake it up. I can see that the Hackintosh is on but my display shows "No Signal". I use the HDMI port. If I unplug and plug HDMI back in, it works. So at the moment, wake from sleep is somewhat working. Any idea what could cause this issue?

I have read multiple things like RadeonDeInit, darkawake and setting CFB_FB_LIMIT. I don't want to try all of them without having any background on them.

Try a different, higher quality HDMI cable.

@dirtydignity If your RX 580 is a Sapphire Pulse 8GB card, see my post install section in Post #1. You made need to change the FrameBuffer. :thumbup:

@dirtydignity If your RX 580 is a Sapphire Pulse 8GB card, see my post install section in Post #1. You made need to change the FrameBuffer. :thumbup:

I ran the DPCIManager and it shows the Graphic Card Model as Radeon RX 580 with Framebuffer ATY,AMD,RadeonFrameBuffer

I am using Sapphire Radeon NITRO+ RX 580 8GB GDDR5 11265-01

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-17 at 3.11.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-17 at 3.11.28 PM.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 178
I have updated my FB to Orinoco and enabled InjectATI and InjectIntel

So far it is working as expected but it's too early to tell. I will post an update in a couple of days.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-17 at 6.41.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-17 at 6.41.53 PM.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 177
I ran the DPCIManager and it shows the Graphic Card Model as Radeon RX 580 with Framebuffer ATY,AMD,RadeonFrameBuffer

I am using Sapphire Radeon NITRO+ RX 580 8GB GDDR5 11265-01
That's the generic FrameBuffer for AMD cards when Apple's drivers don't recognize the RX 580. Sapphire has several versions of the RX 580 Pulse 8GB card which is why I had to use the config.plist patch to set the FrameBuffer to Orinoco. See MyHero II build description post MultiBeast installation for how to do this.

UPDATE: You wrote about doing just that in the previous post as I was writing this post. Enjoy!

It's been a week since I made the change to framebuffer type and I am very happy with the results. The sleep/wake works as expected and no more shenanigans with HDMI cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back