Contribute
Register

Solving NVIDIA Driver Install & Loading Problems

Problem 5 fix worked great, but now cannot install update which has become available

Yesterday I upgraded Sierra 10.12.6 to build 16G1212, but I had to use solution for Problem 5 to make my current NVidia driver version 378.05.05.25f04 run (as it had been, by default when I booted my machine into build 16G1114). That simple fix worked great, but today version 378.05.05.25f06 has become available, and when I attempt to install it, I get "Unable to open the Installer package" ...Use Check Now in NVIDIA Driver Manager Preferences, and try again". Repeated attempts at "Check now" get the same result.

Current situation is OK because .....25f04 version seems to be working normally, but I'd like to install the latest version, if indeed it will run on the current OS build. Am thinking maybe the problem 5 fix must be undone in some way ... but with just enough experience in Terminal to be dangerous to myself, I thought I'd better see if others are having this experience. My attempts to install have been run with admin privileges ... maybe I'm running into a software signature signing problem, but if so, not sure how to work around it.

Problem 5 fix worked great, but now cannot install update which has become available

Yesterday I upgraded Sierra 10.12.6 to build 16G1212, but I had to use solution for Problem 5 to make my current NVidia driver version 378.05.05.25f04 run (as it had been, by default when I booted my machine into build 16G1114). That simple fix worked great, but today version 378.05.05.25f06 has become available, and when I attempt to install it, I get "Unable to open the Installer package" ...Use Check Now in NVIDIA Driver Manager Preferences, and try again". Repeated attempts at "Check now" get the same result.

Current situation is OK because .....25f04 version seems to be working normally, but I'd like to install the latest version, if indeed it will run on the current OS build. Am thinking maybe the problem 5 fix must be undone in some way ... but with just enough experience in Terminal to be dangerous to myself, I thought I'd better see if others are having this experience. My attempts to install have been run with admin privileges ... maybe I'm running into a software signature signing problem, but if so, not sure how to work around it.

I got this too when using the check now button in the driver manager and I had not applied the problem 5 fix. Just download the driver install package from Nvidia and install it that way.

Hi, hope someone can help me, my Nvidia driver sometimes its activated and sometimes its on default graphic driver, if I reboot it works again. I attached my config.plist. Thanks.

Hi i just want to let you know that I fixed the problem by activating in clover nvidia_drv=1 every tutorial I read about making making Nvidia drivers work says to deactivate cause it doesn't work anymore and use the kexts and the other flags. As soon as I activated it , it works all the time.

I recently updated to 10.13.3 and webdrivers to latest 387.10.10.10.25.156, they work very bad is there any way i can edit 378.10.10.10.25.106.pkg (previous) and remove OSversion check and install them?

Thank you !

I recently updated to 10.13.3 and webdrivers to latest 387.10.10.10.25.156, they work very bad is there any way i can edit 378.10.10.10.25.106.pkg (previous) and remove OSversion check and install them?

Thank you !
I did the same - ended up restoring to 10.13.2 - then updated again but kept my former driver. There are different ways of making the "old" driver work on 10.13.3. I edited a copy of the NVDAStartupWeb.kext (while on my desktop). In there you can state which version of OS it will work on. After editing the file I used KextBeast to update it in the Extension library.

I know this is not a how to - but recent posts last days have described it in more detail...

I did the same - ended up restoring to 10.13.2 - then updated again but kept my former driver. There are different ways of making the "old" driver work on 10.13.3. I edited a copy of the NVDAStartupWeb.kext (while on my desktop).
Thank you for your reply! I knew about this method you describe but i don't know how to downgrade to 10.13.2 without completely reinstall OS, i remember some time ago there was an instruction how to unpack Nvidia PKG edit string in some file and get it installed into "wrong" system. Now can't google it :banghead:

I got this too when using the check now button in the driver manager and I had not applied the problem 5 fix. Just download the driver install package from Nvidia and install it that way.

I guess NVIDIA fixed the problem in the driver manager because it worked today. So my problem has been solved. Thanks for the help.

Thank you for your reply! I knew about this method you describe but i don't know how to downgrade to 10.13.2 without completely reinstall OS, i remember some time ago there was an instruction how to unpack Nvidia PKG edit string in some file and get it installed into "wrong" system. Now can't google it :banghead:
I restored my fresh CCC clone of my 10.13.2 (taken just before the update). If you do not have the habit of cloning your drive regularly yet - i think this might be a reason for you to start:). So you instead have to find a post that shows how to install e.g. The xxx.106 version of the driver anyway. I tried this (german) tool that allows you to install an earlier version. It did not work for me though...therefore i ended up restoring.

https://www.hackintosh-forum.de/ind...eiber-all-Version-update-App-für-High-Sierra/

You can install different versions of macOS, with the same series 10.13.x, on top of each other. You don’t loose any of your user files.

Back