Contribute
Register

Solving NVIDIA Driver Install & Loading Problems

I am almost giving up on Hackintosh. I switched out my PG279Q for a 4K HDR-TV since I played more games on my PS4 than my PC.

I get a black screen with my 1080 after installing the drivers. I am now looking for others with a similar setup to share their insights so that I can figure what I am doing wrong. I am quite certain my issue is with the HDMI-port on my GPU since a similar install worked on my PG279Q with displayport.

My specs:
MSI Xpower Titanium Gaming Z170 (latest bios)
Palit 1080 Jetstream
Intel 6600K
16Gb Ram

Long story short, everything worked before I switched monitors. The TV only has HDMI inputs but is capable of 4K@60Hz even with HDR enabled. Worked flawlessly in Windows and on PS4 Pro on those settings. With the previous working setup I used displayport.

What I have tried so far:
  • Using System definitions iMac (14.1/14.2 and the latest) and Mac Pro (5.1, 6.1)
  • Modifying AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy /Installing Lilu and Nvidia kexts with the instructions (tried method 1-3 on different installs)
  • Installing AGDPfix and with confirmation of the install
  • Unchecking bootflags and injectors per guides in this thread
  • Activating the drivers in Clover and manually (also made sure to run the latest version of clover)
  • Using HDMI-Displayport cables and adapters (even active adapters with 4K@60Hz-support). Also tried different HDMI-cables and ports on the TV
  • Using the internal graphics on the 6600K and got the web driver to load and the card fully operational in rendering with Premiere for example
  • Turned off HDR on the port in question

So, basically when the driver loads I get a black screen. When I uncheck the web driver the computer boots with no acceleration.

If I boot with the internal graphics I can get the screen to output a 1080p@60Hz-signal. I can then use the 1080 to render in Premiere for example. This would be fine for me if the resolution were a bit higher.

But, it should work with a 1080 on HDMI right? Is there away to control which ports on the GPU are active or not? I have read that some system definitions disables ports per default since the gpus in those system only has one or two ports.

Should I just give up and buy myself a Macbook Pro? :( Is there anyone else here that has experienced the same issues? And if so, how did you solve it? :)

/ Jesper, Sweden

You are probably going to need to use an active DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 adapter. macOS doesn't support HDMI 2.0 so you won't get 4K @ 60Hz using HDMI alone.

I'm having the same problem. Looks like Problem #6, but every suggested fix fails.

You are probably going to need to use an active DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 adapter. macOS doesn't support HDMI 2.0 so you won't get 4K @ 60Hz using HDMI alone.

Hi! Yeah, I have tried both the Club 3D Active adapter and a generic brand. No change - black screen but the adapters worked in Windows.

EDIT: Gave up after a week. Back to Windows. Maybe next macOS-version.

Last edited:
Guys, please help!! I installed 10.12.5 Sierra on my PC but I cannot make my Nvidia 950 to work, I tried many things but no chance till now. I am attaching my config.plist, could anybody be kind enough to help?

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.6 KB · Views: 129
Guys, please help!! I installed 10.12.5 Sierra on my PC but I cannot make my Nvidia 950 to work, I tried many things but no chance till now. I am attaching my config.plist, could anybody be kind enough to help?
You have to be more specific. "cannot make my Nvidia 950 to work" doesn't tell us much, nor "I tried many things..."

sorry, I installed Nvidia web driver, but I cannot chose it as permanent. When I chose Nvidia
it asks me to restart and after restart I go back to OSX driver. I tried to add Nvidia web to config.plist as recommended, also I tried to inject it in Nvidia in clover configurator. I installed CUDA but it says no gnu detected. I disabled the onboard VGA from bios by choosing PEG.

sorry, I installed Nvidia web driver, but I cannot chose it as permanent. When I chose Nvidia
it asks me to restart and after restart I go back to OSX driver. I tried to add Nvidia web to config.plist as recommended, also I tried to inject it in Nvidia in clover configurator. I installed CUDA but it says no gnu detected. I disabled the onboard VGA from bios by choosing PEG.

Please see problem #6 and Inject/NVidia should be false.

See Problem 6 in Post #1.

I really need help. I've spent a week trying to get graphics acceleration to work on my GTX 1080 Ti in Sierra 10.12.5. I've tried every possible combination of clover configurations and nothing seems to work. My system recognizes the card but the resolution is low (1280x800 max on Apple Cinema HD 30") and any video playback lags. Adobe Premiere can barely handle playback without skipping. I have a video editing deadline and need this solved ASAP.
I patched Lilu.kext and NvidiaGraphicsfixup.kext to fix the no signal issue.

Boot flags: dart=0 darkwake=10 nvda_drv=1 kext-dev-mode=1 cpus=1

Specs:

Mobo: Z270x-Ultra Gaming with most recent BIOS
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
RAM: 64gb (16x4) Corsair DDR4

My config.plist is attached.

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.6 KB · Views: 193
Back