Contribute
Register

Solving NVIDIA Driver Install & Loading Problems

Okay so this is my first time posting I believe, I managed to install my 970 and it works, if I chose Use NVIDIA web drivers during boot, but how can I make this permanent? I must say, I installed Clover/macOS in Legacy mode, so I don't have an EFI partition, I don't know where the config.plist file is stored.

EDIT: Nevermind I realized where is it now.

Last edited:
I did make the USB mistake before but now it is just the drive that the OS is installed on. I have made the text alterations on the clover plist and still it no attempt at loading. I am using the newest clover, I think the build is 4012. I seriously think,if I could go back to the 3799 build, that it would work. Not sure how to do that though.

You can give that a try if you think it will work by downloading Clover and installing it. It won't delete what you have and will just downgrade Clover. I don't think that is the issue though.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/files/Installer/

Post your most recent config

Last edited:
Here it is my EFI zipped.
Thanks for the effort man!
@slim.jim

Not sure if this is causing your issue but you have the System Parameters section under the DSDT fixes and also at the bottom of the config. It should only be at the bottom.

If you are unfamiliar with the syntax then don't use Xcode and just use Clover configurator to edit you config

Every drive formatted as GPT will have an EFI partition. You wan to make sure that Clover is installed only on one and normally it would be the drive where macOS is installed.

Use Clover configurator to edit your config inserted of Xcode. It will help you clean up your config a lot. You should also use it to generate a complete system profile.

This screenshot shows the Inject/Nvidia/true:

View attachment 238066

Are you booting from the hard drive or from the USB drive that you used to do the install? A common mistake is that people leave the USB stick in and continue to boot from that after installing Clover to their HDD while making changes to the Clover install on the HDD and wondering why they aren't taking effect.

Hi SlimJim, I appreciate your help. I'm guessing I messed up a step, because I decided to wipe my SSD clean and my USB stick clean and do a completely fresh install from step one. And the graphics now load the correct drivers!

However it does not seem to be using the acceleration of the card. I downloaded a benchmark test (Novabench) to try to push it, and only returned a 166 Graphics Test score (3D frames per second: 517) It feels like I should have a score in the 800 range with a FPS of 2000.

Any ideas? I'm hitting a wall reading the forums looking for a solution.

Thanks,
Michael

Well after several attempts I have gotten to a point that I can't seem to fix. I have followed the steps in problem 6 to the letter.
I have found out through reading several post that I had it fixed a long time ago and did not realize it. It seems that only 2 out of 5 of my video ports worked and if I had more than one plugged in that it would not boot.
So while not knowing that I kept redoing problem six and reading other posts. Now I am stuck because I can not seem to get rid of nvda_drv=1 out of the boot args. I think this is causing my panics and circle with slash though it.
Anyone have a way to get rid of it? I have went through the clover plist and that boot arg is not there.
What do I do???

Well after several attempts I have gotten to a point that I can't seem to fix. I have followed the steps in problem 6 to the letter.
I have found out through reading several post that I had it fixed a long time ago and did not realize it. It seems that only 2 out of 5 of my video ports worked and if I had more than one plugged in that it would not boot.
So while not knowing that I kept redoing problem six and reading other posts. Now I am stuck because I can not seem to get rid of nvda_drv=1 out of the boot args. I think this is causing my panics and circle with slash though it.
Anyone have a way to get rid of it? I have went through the clover plist and that boot arg is not there.
What do I do???

Open terminal and type this:

sudo nvram boot-args

If it returns nvda_drv=1 then type this:

sudo nvram boot-args=""

Hi SlimJim, I appreciate your help. I'm guessing I messed up a step, because I decided to wipe my SSD clean and my USB stick clean and do a completely fresh install from step one. And the graphics now load the correct drivers!

However it does not seem to be using the acceleration of the card. I downloaded a benchmark test (Novabench) to try to push it, and only returned a 166 Graphics Test score (3D frames per second: 517) It feels like I should have a score in the 800 range with a FPS of 2000.

Any ideas? I'm hitting a wall reading the forums looking for a solution.

Thanks,
Michael

Do things like launching dashboard happen smoothly or opening a page in safari? If so then you are fine. If you insist on running a benchmark then run Unigen Heaven and post the results.

Hi @slim.jim

I am finally posting because I am at a total loss with getting my GTX 750 Ti working with my Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WIFI Motherboard. I'm on 10.12.3 with a 14,2 iMac configuration

I did a fresh install with Sierra, and got everything working except graphics. You can see my entire EFI Folder attached before I began twiddling with getting the graphics working, titled "EFI Before". Note: There is still the basic NvidiaWeb addition in the config.plist and the latest driver was also installed at that time.

From this point, I began by switching my BIOS settings from IGFX to PCIe. The machine was able to output to my monitor from my graphics card, but the resolution was off (see screen shot #1). I do not have any resolution options other than 1280 under "scaled".

Next, I tried switching to the Nvidia Web Driver and Reboot... And nothing. It defaulted to OS X Driver (Screen shot 2). So, that gave me the Problem 6 issue.

Upon downloading Clover and installing EmuVariableUefi-64, after reboot, I get a completely black screen (no apple logo shows at all), and the system doesn't appear to be responsive. I get a split second to view the clover options and hit spacebar before the screen goes black. So I tried booting in verbose "-v", which gives me only a series of "+++++..." symbols and stops. Also, selecting nv_disable=1 doesn't help the boot either. Therefore, I am forced to boot off the thumb drive, and restore the EFI folder back to original.

After I revert, I have tried this same process with all combinations of nv_disable, nv_disable nv, and nvdia inject in my config.plist but to no avail.

I have also tried the AGDPfix PRIOR to installing EmuVariable to PREVENT the black screen from happening, (although I am not sure if this is how the AGDPfix works). This is because I am unable to run the AGDPFix AFTER the black screen hits, (like I said, the system appears to be unresponsive and I have no way of visualizing to execute AGDPFix).

I also noticed that I had no AppleGraphicsControl.kext in my S/L/E prior to all of this, so I have also tried downloading this file and installing to to S/L/E (using a kext utility app), prior to trying all the aforementioned hacks, and I am still reaching the black screen of death.

Any thoughts or help would be very much appreciated, as I am totally at a loss (18+ hours of troubleshooting)

Cameron

UPDATE: I fixed it!

For some reason installing EmuVariable caused a crash after install. This happened with installing EmuVariable through Clover_V2 pkg.

I noticed an option to install the EmuVariable driver via Clover Configurator and it did the trick!

Also something to note: In the NV-RAM section of the left panel in Clover Configurator, I also selected "Store nvram.plist on system partition" Force mount: EFI. I am not sure if this is a requirement but my system is configured this way and is currently working.

Also, I have nvda_drv=1. NO graphics injection at all.

Be sure to read this post before shooting from the hip (like I did).

So in short, the solution for problem 6 DOES work, but it did not work when installing from Clover_V2, and was fixed after installing EmuVariable with Clover Configurator instead.

Hope this helps someone!

:headbang:

Attachments

• EFI After.zip
    23.6 MB · Views: 92
  • EFI Before.zip
    23.6 MB · Views: 73
  • Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 4.02.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 4.02.12 PM.png
    129.8 KB · Views: 225
  • Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 4.02.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 4.02.50 PM.png