Contribute
Register

Solving NVIDIA Driver Install & Loading Problems

I sort of hacked it. I connected my old install drive and the fresh install to the same computer and mounted each drive's EFI partition. Then, I deleted the contents of EFI on the fresh install and copied over the EFI folder from the old drive. I rebooted and it works. Looks like there's something in the old ElCapitan to Sierra upgraded system that makes this work. Here is what it looks like using the EFI from the upgraded system:
Screen Shot 2017-01-19 at 10.00.10 AM.png

And here are the plist files for both. You can easily spot the differences when using something like meld.
I will still try to make a fresh install work without copying old files back and forth but I'm running out of ideas.

Attachments

• config-fresh-install-not-working.plist
    5.6 KB · Views: 245
  • config-old-working-on-fresh-install.plist
    5.6 KB · Views: 261
UPDATE: After reinstalling and trying again the 'Problem 6' solution, I ended up having the same issue. Then, I replaced the config.plist with my old one and it worked. Comparing them I saw that the old one had system definition 14.1. Using the system definition 17.1 (Skylake) doesn't work for me. The newest I could find that worked is 16.1. Thanks for all your help.

I dont know why I installed the latest security update... Guess I'll have to wait or just move along to sierra.
I was updating several things and I guess that one slipped by my awareness. Went from 4GB to 7MB unrecognized

Asus Z170 Pro
i7-6700K
Gtx960
16GB Trident 3708MHz DDR4
Evo 850 500GB

Did you try what I have done and describe in my post 1553 in this thread?

Did you try what I have done and describe in my post 1553 in this thread?
I tried, not working. Previous solutions are too tech for me. there is any easier way?

Find a way to make it work for now. First beta nvidia 10.11.6 driver 346.03.15b01 is working for me.

Hello,
I have a Gigabyte z170mx-gaming 5 motherboard and a 980 ti card. I was able to install the graphics drivers and enable them.
My monitor only supports HDMI.
When I boot with the monitor hooked to the internal graphics, I can start up. When the HDMI cable is plugged into the 980 ti, the screen goes black about halfway through the Mac loading screen.
It's a clean install, so there's no Boot/Arguments/nvda_drv=1 to remove.
I used the method here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/new-method-for-enabling-nvidia-web-drivers-in-clover.202341/

Any help is much appreciated.

Erik

Same here. I think it's because of the latest web driver. I am trying it now with the beta.
Edit 1, beta (10.12) not working either, I am using the 17,1 config on my skylake machine.

Anybody have experience with a GTX 980 TI? Here on Z170 pro gaming, 6700k

Last edited:
UPDATE: After reinstalling and trying again the 'Problem 6' solution, I ended up having the same issue. Then, I replaced the config.plist with my old one and it worked. Comparing them I saw that the old one had system definition 14.1. Using the system definition 17.1 (Skylake) doesn't work for me. The newest I could find that worked is 16.1. Thanks for all your help.
I believe my problem might be that I'm using a sub HDMI 2.0 cable.
Same here. I think it's because of the latest web driver. I am trying it now with the beta.
Edit 1, beta (10.12) not working either, I am using the 17,1 config on my skylake machine.

Anybody have experience with a GTX 980 TI? Here on Z170 pro gaming, 6700k
Boestin, are you using HDMI output to a newish 4k TV? If so, try a high quality HDMI 2.0 cable.

I believe my problem might be that I'm using a sub HDMI 2.0 cable.

Boestin, are you using HDMI output to a newish 4k TV? If so, try a high quality HDMI 2.0 cable.

Using DVI cable... But when the web driver is loaded I'm facing the same problem which is the black screen.
Edit: HDMI does not work either

Back