Contribute
Register

Solving NVIDIA Driver Install & Loading Problems

Just install OS update. OS level now 10.11.6 (15G1217). Back to 1024x768.
Driver 346.03.15f05 is not compatible with this OS level, and there is no new driver to upgrade.

Not yet, never install the security updates until there is a compatible driver available.

UPDATE:

It look like kextcache errors can be ignored.
I was able to enable WebDriver and it is working fine so far.

My steps:
1) I disabled kext security in clover plist file,
2) edit /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartupWeb.kext/Contents/Info.plist to change NVDARequiredOS to 15G1217,
3) run both kextcache commands,
4) restart OS,
5) and finally enabled a Web Driver.

$ sudo vi /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartupWeb.kext/Contents/Info.plist
$ sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
$ sudo kextcache -system-caches
$ sudo reboot

Not yet, never install the security updates until there is a compatible driver available.
Lesson learned.
I am trying to modify plist for driver, but having hard time to run
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel and getting "Invalid signature".
Any suggestions?

$ csrutil status
System Integrity Protection status: disabled.

Password:

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext RealtekRTL8111.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext realtekALC.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakeSMC.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67030 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA2A for kext NVDAStartupWeb.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67054 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA12 for kext AppleHDA.kext

Invalid signature -67030 for kext <OSKext 0x7fe572f99020 [0x7fff72237440]> { URL = "NVDAStartupWeb.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.nvidia.NVDAStartupWeb" }

Last edited:
Lesson learned.
I am trying to modify plist for driver, but having hard time to run
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel and getting "Invalid signature".
Any suggestions?

$ csrutil status
System Integrity Protection status: disabled.

Password:

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext RealtekRTL8111.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext realtekALC.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakeSMC.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67030 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA2A for kext NVDAStartupWeb.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67054 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA12 for kext AppleHDA.kext

Invalid signature -67030 for kext <OSKext 0x7fe572f99020 [0x7fff72237440]> { URL = "NVDAStartupWeb.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.nvidia.NVDAStartupWeb" }

This is quite normal. I did it on mine this morning after that update to OSX and it all works just fine with the nvidia drivers again.

I'm experiencing the same issue as erikbryan with a GTX 980 on a Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 6: the screen goes black about halfway through the loading screen, but only after trying the solution for 'Problem 6' (enabling nvda_drv=1 and installing EmuVariableUefi-64 from Clover). This workaround always results in a black screen during macos loading. I've tried it 4 times already. On the other hand, if I try to enable the nvidia web drivers with the new method (adding NvidiaWeb/true in config.plist) doesn't seem to work. It always reverts to the default ones and there's no way of enabling them. I started a new thread but now I see many of us have the same issues. The one time I was able to make the solution for 'Problem 6' work was when I booted this new system using the disc from an older system where I had a GTX 770 installed with the same web drivers. However, that system was not a fresh install but an upgrade from El Capitan. Maybe there are some legacy config remains in there that makes this possible but on a fresh 10.12.2 install I can't enable the nvidia web drivers. I'll try to get the config.plist from that old drive and compare it with the new one where in theory I tried the same solution.

I'm experiencing the same issue as erikbryan with a GTX 980 on a Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 6: the screen goes black about halfway through the loading screen, but only after trying the solution for 'Problem 6' (enabling nvda_drv=1 and installing EmuVariableUefi-64 from Clover). This workaround always results in a black screen during macos loading. I've tried it 4 times already. On the other hand, if I try to enable the nvidia web drivers with the new method (adding NvidiaWeb/true in config.plist) doesn't seem to work. It always reverts to the default ones and there's no way of enabling them. I started a new thread but now I see many of us have the same issues. The one time I was able to make the solution for 'Problem 6' work was when I booted this new system using the disc from an older system where I had a GTX 770 installed with the same web drivers. However, that system was not a fresh install but an upgrade from El Capitan. Maybe there are some legacy config remains in there that makes this possible but on a fresh 10.12.2 install I can't enable the nvidia web drivers. I'll try to get the config.plist from that old drive and compare it with the new one where in theory I tried the same solution.

If you go to System Information -> Graphics/Displays, what does it say for ROM Revision ? (This is when the drivers are enabled the new way but it shows using the default one).

That's correct but as I said, the drivers aren't loading. You need to use the proper method to enable them.
Thanks for the reply Slim.Jim

Okay just to clarify is the proper method:

1. Mount EFI Partition
2. Open /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist with text edit, Xcode, or Plist Editor Pro
3. Edit as shown below:

Code (Text):
<key>SystemParameters</key>
<dict>
<key>InjectKexts</key>
<string>YES</string>
<key>InjectSystemID</key>
<true/>
<key>NvidiaWeb</key>
<true/>
</dict>

4. Remove Boot/Arguments/nvda_drv=1 if necessary
5. Save and reboot

I all these steps. The only thing I did not do is #4, not sure if it was necessary.

I dont know why I installed the latest security update... Guess I'll have to wait or just move along to sierra.
I was updating several things and I guess that one slipped by my awareness. Went from 4GB to 7MB unrecognized

Asus Z170 Pro
i7-6700K
Gtx960
16GB Trident 3708MHz DDR4
Evo 850 500GB

If you go to System Information -> Graphics/Displays, what does it say for ROM Revision ? (This is when the drivers are enabled the new way but it shows using the default one).

Hi. This is what it looks like (when not working) with or without the web drivers installed:
Screen Shot 2017-01-18 at 9.31.23 PM.png

Last edited:
Back