Contribute
Register

Solving NVIDIA Driver Install & Loading Problems

Thought I'd chip in my 2 cents on how I solved the black screen problem (#4).

Prologue

My SMBIOS is 17,1. I was reluctant to start switching SMBIOS as I've got iMessage working and I've got a 6700k, Asus GTX 980 Ti STRIX.

Also I did not want to start the whole GPU SSDT at 3am in the morning.

First, identify the problem. Boot with nv_disable=1, start iTunes and play a song. Do not close iTunes.
Next, reboot and boot with your normal boot-args (-v dart=0 nada_drv=1 kext-dev-mode=1 rootless=0 in my case).
This got me "a black screen" upon entering the desktop. I press the play button (F8) twice to check that I am actually at the desktop, as the music starts playing.

Reboot with nv_disable=1 again to make the following changes.

What worked for me

• System Preferences -> Sharing -> Computer name = Check that your computer name is "Yourname's iMac". I had it set to "Myname's Mac Pro".

• In Finder go to (Post installation)
    • /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/
  • Drag Info.plist onto the Desktop
  • Open Info.plist on Desktop with TextEdit
    • Replace all
      g>Config1
      with
      g>none
    • Replace all
      g>Config2
      with
      g>none
    • Save and Quit
  • Copy Info.plist from Desktop back into Contents folder
    • Select Authenticate
    • Replace
    • Enter Password
  • Repair permissions and rebuild kext cache. I used Kext Wizard, but any Kext utility will probably work.

• Open Clover Configurator and go to Kernel and Kext Patches (#4 - method 1)
  • Add a new KextToPatch
    • Name AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy find Ym9hcmQtaWQ= replace Ym9hcmQtaXg=
  • Add a new ForceKextsToLoad
    • Code:
      /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext
  • Command + S and Command + Q to save and quit

• Make sure you have NVIDIA Web Driver selected in the NVIDIA Drvier Manager System Preference fane.
  • Reboot with your normal boot-args and pray to the all mighty. I folded my hands, and it worked!

Screenshot 2016-10-01 15.24.24.png Screenshot 2016-10-01 15.19.05.png Screenshot 2016-10-01 15.24.34.png Screenshot 2016-10-01 15.19.18.png Screenshot 2016-10-01 15.19.21.png Screenshot 2016-10-01 15.24.52.png Screenshot 2016-10-01 15.19.25.png Screenshot 2016-10-01 15.30.44.png Screenshot 2016-10-01 15.35.42.png

Last edited:
You still have several fixes enabled and the graphics section of your config is missing the lines for Inject/Intel, Inject/ATI, and Inject/Nvidia.

Thanks for pointing that out -- very much appreciate all the support here!!

Since I was losing confidence that I knew what state everything was in, I reset to the beginning
* reformatted
* reinstalled from Unibeast, following the updated 10.12 guide
* used the Multibeast 9 quick start, again following the updated 10.12 guide
* downloaded the nVidia web drivers
* restarted with VESA option selected in clover -- boots, but ugly
* restarted with Nvidia web driver option selected in clover -- panic
* rechecked config.plist with clover configurator -- selected NVidiaWeb in System Parameters, saved, rebooted -- panic
* rebooted with VESA...ugh / back to the same spot

I see the same incomplete definition of my GTX 970 card (NVIDIA Chip Model 7 MB), but obviously I can only see that when I boot in VESA mode, so not sure how reliable that information is

kextstat shows that NVDAResmanWeb (10.1.3) and NVGAGM100Halweb (10.1.3) are loaded
same panic signature as before (see attached)

At this point, still no closer to having the Nvidia web drivers load successfully.

[SOLVED] almost unbelievably....I tried the cable swap again (I have a dual monitor setup). Switched the monitor I was using (single monitor on boot, was defaulting to the DVI-to-VGA connected monitor) to be the native DVI connection, and it booted!

Also, the reported graphics adapter is now correct -- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4095 MB

Hoping the rest of the configuration will be straight-forward.

Learning: the new web driver prefers a native DVI to an analogue VGA for booting. If you are fighting with Nvidia problems and you have an analogue (VGA) connection, switch to HDMI or DVI if possible.

Attachments

• Panic.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 127
  • post-nVidia-enabled-config.plist
    5.1 KB · Views: 142
  • success.png
    success.png
    71.3 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Thanks for pointing that out -- very much appreciate all the support here!!

Since I was losing confidence that I knew what state everything was in, I reset to the beginning
* reformatted
* reinstalled from Unibeast, following the updated 10.12 guide
* used the Multibeast 9 quick start, again following the updated 10.12 guide
* downloaded the nVidia web drivers
* restarted with VESA option selected in clover -- boots, but ugly
* restarted with Nvidia web driver option selected in clover -- panic
* rechecked config.plist with clover configurator -- selected NVidiaWeb in System Parameters, saved, rebooted -- panic
* rebooted with VESA...ugh / back to the same spot

I see the same incomplete definition of my GTX 970 card (NVIDIA Chip Model 7 MB), but obviously I can only see that when I boot in VESA mode, so not sure how reliable that information is

kextstat shows that NVDAResmanWeb (10.1.3) and NVGAGM100Halweb (10.1.3) are loaded
same panic signature as before (see attached)

At this point, still no closer to having the Nvidia web drivers load successfully.

[SOLVED] almost unbelievably....I tried the cable swap again (I have a dual monitor setup). Switched the monitor I was using (single monitor on boot, was defaulting to the DVI-to-VGA connected monitor) to be the native DVI connection, and it booted!

Also, the reported graphics adapter is now correct -- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4095 MB

Learning: the new web driver prefers a native DVI to an analogue VGA for booting. If you are fighting with Nvidia problems and you have an analogue (VGA) connection, switch to HDMI or DVI if possible.

VGA and OS X can be very buggy and have unpredictable results since OS X hasn't officially supported VGA in over a decade.

Hey.
If I understood correctly, it means you just booted with the dvi-vga monitor and afterwards you plugged in the second one?

I've got a HDMI connected monitor as my main and a vga monitor on the DVI output via dvi to vga adapter on a GTX 980ti. If I just boot with the main, it works well with the NVidia drivers and recognizes the GPU.
Unfortunately my second monitor has only a vga Input. Cant change to dp or dvi.

hi, I am on Sierra OS, ran into problem #4, and I was able to resolved it using Method 2: with Shilohh's AGDPfix.

However, after I restart the computer a few times(just 2 or 3 times), the problem occurs again, then I need to disable my nvidia driver then patch the fix again,can anyone help? thanks

Finally I managed to displays work:
1) Replaced back AppleGraphicsControl.kext (after AGDPFix).
2) Set iMac 13,2(was iMac 12.1) in System Definition via Clover Configurator magic wand.

New install EVGA Geforce GT 740 SC Issue:
Has anyone seen this before?

I can boot to the login screen (blurry background) but can't see the login icons or text.
If I type my password (blind) the screen goes to the desktop view but still with no icons. Applications run but their windows don't show up on screen. It's like parts of the GUI are missing.
Boots the same way with Nvidia drivers or OSX selected
I'm also using nvda_drv=1 to boot to this screen.

El Capitan -> 10.11.6
NVIDIA Drivers: 346.03.15f03
iMac 14,2 profile

Last edited:
Done GTX 960 Sierra 10.12.1 Beta (16B2338c)
KDhifPY.png

New install EVGA Geforce GT 740 SC Issue:
Has anyone seen this before?

I can boot to the login screen (blurry background) but can't see the login icons or text.
If I type my password (blind) the screen goes to the desktop view but still with no icons. Applications run but their windows don't show up on screen. It's like parts of the GUI are missing.
Boots the same way with Nvidia drivers or OSX selected
I'm also using nvda_drv=1 to boot to this screen.

El Capitan -> 10.11.6
NVIDIA Drivers: 346.03.15f03
iMac 14,2 profile

Update: OK so it seems as though the system is treating it as if I have 2 monitors instead of just the one. Is this a Clover issue?

Back