Contribute
Register

Solving NVIDIA Driver Install & Loading Problems

Which 5K screen? I have a Dell UP2715K, It works as 4K from either Intel HD 530 or NVIDIA TitanX X using the provided mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable.

I believe 5K works from Intel HD 530 as 30 Hz (but I'd have to retest to be sure). Using the NVIDIA card, it is troublesome (requires cycling the power of the monitor) and sometimes causes a kernel panic.

Hoi Joe,

That's the one. I'm not getting 4K on anything. That said, my motherboard has only got hdmi and thunderbolt 3 ports, no display of display mini. Might try an hdmi to DP cable if you reckon that will get me 4K on intel 530. My GPU is a 960 G1.

Cheers

Hoi Joe,

That's the one. I'm not getting 4K on anything. That said, my motherboard has only got hdmi and thunderbolt 3 ports, no display of display mini. Might try an hdmi to DP cable if you reckon that will get me 4K on intel 530. My GPU is a 960 G1.

Cheers

DP to HDMI requires and active adapter as the two signals are not the at all.

Thunderbolt 3 has DisplayPort 1.2. Buy some USB-C to DisplayPort cables/adapters (mini DisplayPort for 4K and 2xDisplayPort for 5K).

Currently, HDMI to DP active adapters (power from USB like the DP to Dual Link DVI adapters) only support HDMI 1.4 speeds (4K@30Hz). You can use an HDMI to DP adapter and a DP to Dual Link DVI adapter (so two USB ports) to connect dual link DVI displays like the Apple 30" Cinema Displays to an HDMI 1.4 port. Or skip the HDMI to DP adapter if you connect to the USB-C port with a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter.

But if you have a 960, then maybe you should avoid the HD 530.

DP to HDMI requires an active adapter as the two signals are not the at all.
DisplayPort 1.2 may include Dual Mode and therefore include HDMI 1.4 which can give 4K@30Hz (which the Dell will not accept).

DP to HDMI requires an active adapter only if the DisplayPort is not Dual Mode or you want HDMI 2.0 and don't have Dual Mode DisplayPort 1.3.

Last edited:
Hoi Joe,

Cheers

Doesn't the 5k resolution need 2 DP 1.2 cables to carry that bandwidth? Like, from the GPU into the monitor? The ports on your motherboard are kinda irrelevant, since the intel 530 does 30Hz at 4k, which just totally defeats the purpose of this monitor. And a GTX 960 hardly seems adequate, since you are pushing nearly 15 MILLION pixels and 2GB of VRAM seems lacking, although I've heard that games rarely use more than 2GB anyways..

15 MILLION pixels and 2GB of VRAM

In case you are wondering how much VRAM 5K takes, 5120x2880 =14745600 pixels, with 32bits/pixel, giving you 471859200bits/frame = 58.9824MB/frame, so 60FPS = ~3.54GB of VRAM, so I don't know what game you're running, but you will actually never hit 60FPS with a 960 G1, limiting out at ~34FPS max, assuming you use every bit of memory (2GB) you have.

FYI.

Doesn't the 5k resolution need 2 DP 1.2 cables to carry that bandwidth? Like, from the GPU into the monitor? The ports on your motherboard are kinda irrelevant, since the intel 530 does 30Hz at 4k, which just totally defeats the purpose of this monitor. And a GTX 960 hardly seems adequate, since you are pushing nearly 15 MILLION pixels and 2GB of VRAM seems lacking, although I've heard that games rarely use more than 2GB anyways..

Agree that 2GB would be a little underpowered, but i run the 4GB version which is addition to the memory upgrade has other component upgrades that should enable it to fairly easily power 5K for lightroom, dxo, etc. Or am I missing something?

Thunderbolt 3 has DisplayPort 1.2. Buy some USB-C to DisplayPort cables/adapters (mini DisplayPort for 4K and 2xDisplayPort for 5K).

Currently, HDMI to DP active adapters (power from USB like the DP to Dual Link DVI adapters) only support HDMI 1.4 speeds (4K@30Hz). You can use an HDMI to DP adapter and a DP to Dual Link DVI adapter (so two USB ports) to connect dual link DVI displays like the Apple 30" Cinema Displays to an HDMI 1.4 port. Or skip the HDMI to DP adapter if you connect to the USB-C port with a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter.

But if you have a 960, then maybe you should avoid the HD 530.

DisplayPort 1.2 may include Dual Mode and therefore include HDMI 1.4 which can give 4K@30Hz (which the Dell will not accept).

DP to HDMI requires an active adapter only if the DisplayPort is not Dual Mode or you want HDMI 2.0 and don't have Dual Mode DisplayPort 1.3.

Would love to avoid the 530 and run on the GPU (which is a 4GB version). However it only gives me 2560x1440. Nothing I can do to change that. Hence 530 may be the way to go. Shall look into usb-c / tb3 to DP connectors and see if that at least gets me 4K... Would be great compared to what I can get on the GPU.

The Intel 530 does 4K@60Hz just fine. I've tested the The Dell UP2715K in Windows using Intel 530. It works at 5K with dual DisplayPort (Clover boot screen is 1024x768) and 4K with single DisplayPort (Clover boot screen is same rez), both at 60Hz. In 5K with the Intel 530, I think there's a second small display added in Windows and Ubuntu. In Ubuntu, it shows as 848x480. Ubuntu doesn't have the 5K option for Intel 530; it only allows 4K.
In case you are wondering how much VRAM 5K takes, 5120x2880 =14745600 pixels, with 32bits/pixel, giving you 471859200bits/frame = 58.9824MB/frame, so 60FPS = ~3.54GB of VRAM, so I don't know what game you're running, but you will actually never hit 60FPS with a 960 G1, limiting out at ~34FPS max, assuming you use every bit of memory (2GB) you have.
FYI.
FPS does not depend on VRAM. If a game can't put all it's textures on the GPU, then you'll see performance issues. GPUs draw one frame per 1/60th of a second, not 60 frames at a time so you shouldn't multiply VRAM by 60. Some games might triple buffer, so you could multiply by 3. Maybe add more for a z-buffer or other types of buffers. But definitely not 60 buffers. Nvidia's specs say the 960 can output 5120x3200 using two DisplayPort 1.2 cables.
Would love to avoid the 530 and run on the GPU (which is a 4GB version). However it only gives me 2560x1440. Nothing I can do to change that. Hence 530 may be the way to go. Shall look into usb-c / tb3 to DP connectors and see if that at least gets me 4K... Would be great compared to what I can get on the GPU.
What kind of cable are you using to plug the display into the 960? You should be using the Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable that came with the monitor to get 4K@60Hz. Make sure you're using the Nvidia Web drivers.

FPS does not depend on VRAM. If a game can't put all it's textures on the GPU, then you'll see performance issues. GPUs draw one frame per 1/60th of a second, not 60 frames at a time so you shouldn't multiply VRAM by 60. Some games might triple buffer, so you could multiply by 3. Maybe add more for a z-buffer or other types of buffers. But definitely not 60 buffers. Nvidia's specs say the 960 can output 5120x3200 using two DisplayPort 1.2 cables.

You can output 5k for sure, but that doesn't mean it will be able to run everything at it? I am quite sure that resolution is the main impacting factor on VRAM usage.

No way to make it work!
I must have missed something, well… just once more!
My build:
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H170-HD3 ATX Socket 1151
CPU: Intel Skylake Core i5-6600 / 3.3 GHz (Turbo Boost 3.9 GHz) 4 cores Cache Socket, Socket 1151 (BX80662I56600)
RAM: CRUCIAL 16GBx2 32GB Kit, DDR4 2133 MT/s DIMM 288 (CT2K16G4DFD8213)
GPU: MSI Computer Video/Graphics Cards GTX 950 2GD5 OC
Monitor: legacy AOC 2770, 2560 x 1440 px (apparently not available on amazon.com)
OS X: 10.11.5

I tried my best doing everything as I should (hopefully):
  1. I downloaded and installed the last releases of CUDA and NVIDIA Web Driver. They show up in the Preferences.
  2. With Clover Configurator.app, in the Boot page, I checked nvda_drv=1.
  3. I downloaded Clover_v2.3k_r3599, the last release.
  4. With it I selected EmuVariableUefi-64. It didn't work.
  5. Then I selected Install RC scripts on target volume. Ditto.

I must have missed something. Or should I toss all the gear as definitely useless?
I am stuck on the mobo's HDMI 1080 connection. The Nvidia Driver Manager Preferences is glued apparently forever on the OS X Default Graphics Driver and yet I tried selecting it then, instead of accepting to restart, first clicking on the lock.
If I start up with both cables (mobo's HDMI and GPU's DP) connected it's the HDMI that's selected. If I start with the GPU's DP cable, the monitor says there is no signal.
I tried many times. I spent the day on it.

It seems I'll never succeed making this darn build ever work. Any solution besides buying a gun and unloading the magazine on it?

TIA

Nick

Last edited:
Back