Contribute
Register

Solving NVIDIA Driver Install & Loading Problems

I've been running my system with two 7970 gpu's with 3 monitors but was unhappy with their performance in Premiere, so bought a 980TI to replace them.

My current and desired system definition is Imac 17-1 since I'm on a skylake system. Running 10.11.5. Initially I got the black screen at the end of boot, so I applied the patch detailed in this thread, which allowed me to boot into osx with the gpu connected. Have the latest Nvidia web drivers installed. Switch it to Web driver and reboot (sometimes it sticks sometimes it doesn't) System profiler sees the 980ti, but no video is coming out of the GPU via Displayport, DVI or HDMI/no monitors are detected by osx other than the one connected to IGPU. I've tried reinstalling the web drivers, I've got nv_drv=1 set, but no display detected. In bios I changed so that the 980ti is the primary and it shows up during the apple load, but turns off at the log in screen and the IGPU powers up at that point. Not sure what setting I've got wrong, but appreciate any insight anyone might have. Thanks. One other thing to note is that the Card boots into windows 10 and the video out works there, ruling out bad hardware.

Screenshot 2016-07-01 02.23.41.png
Screenshot 2016-07-01 02.22.29.png
Screenshot 2016-07-01 02.20.41.png

Last edited:
@wonderfilm Exact same problem here for me!!! Been banging my head with this for 3 days now... All the "fixe" do not work for me at all.. From the look of the images you have in your post it looks exactly the same as on my build! Anyone might have an idea ?
Thank you :)

I've been running my system with two 7970 gpu's with 3 monitors but was unhappy with their performance in Premiere, so bought a 980TI to replace them.

My current and desired system definition is Imac 17-1 since I'm on a skylake system. Running 10.11.5. Initially I got the black screen at the end of boot, so I applied the patch detailed in this thread, which allowed me to boot into osx with the gpu connected. Have the latest Nvidia web drivers installed. Switch it to Web driver and reboot (sometimes it sticks sometimes it doesn't) System profiler sees the 980ti, but no video is coming out of the GPU via Displayport, DVI or HDMI/no monitors are detected by osx other than the one connected to IGPU. I've tried reinstalling the web drivers, I've got nv_drv=1 set, but no display detected. In bios I changed so that the 980ti is the primary and it shows up during the apple load, but turns off at the log in screen and the IGPU powers up at that point. Not sure what setting I've got wrong, but appreciate any insight anyone might have. Thanks. One other thing to note is that the Card boots into windows 10 and the video out works there, ruling out bad hardware.

View attachment 201453 View attachment 201454 View attachment 201455

Disable the IGP in bios and set the PEG as primary.

Disable the IGP in bios and set the PEG as primary.
Just tried setting the 980ti to primary and disabling the IGPU which just leads me back to a black screen at log in/no video coming out of the 980ti.

When I went back to the other config with IGPU enabled, I'm noting that after each restart OSX Default Graphics Driver is selected and I change it in the pull down menu to Nvidia Web driver, but it goes back to default at restart, implying that something causing the driver to crash on boot.

Last edited:
Just tried setting the 980ti to primary and disabling the IGPU which just leads me back to a black screen at log in/no video coming out of the 980ti.

When I went back to the other config with IGPU enabled, I'm noting that after each restart OSX Default Graphics Driver is selected and I change it in the pull down menu to Nvidia Web driver, but it goes back to default at restart, implying that something causing the driver to crash on boot.

The driver is not crashing on boot. Using the Nvidia driver manager requires NVRAM support which all Gigabyte 100 series boards do not have natively. You must emulate NVRAM or put the nvda_drv=1 boot argument into you config.plist. If you have that flag in your config then what it says in the drop down or driver manager is just cosmetic.

The driver is not crashing on boot. Using the Nvidia driver manager requires NVRAM support which all Gigabyte 100 series boards do not have natively. You must emulate NVRAM or put the nvda_drv=1 boot argument into you config.plist. If you have that flag in your config then what it says in the drop down or driver manager is just cosmetic.
Thanks for helping me to better understand. I do have nvd_drv=1 in my config file, but not getting any video out of the 980ti. Wondering what other steps to take to troubleshoot.

Thanks for helping me to better understand. I do have nvd_drv=1 in my config file, but not getting any video out of the 980ti. Wondering what other steps to take to troubleshoot.
Make sure you are not injecting Nvidia

Make sure you are not injecting Nvidia
Playing around with the same settings and issue with a gtx 960 card. I have all settings as recommended, however when I add nvda_drv=1, I end on a login screen without a dialogue box... Any suggestions?

My 960 not working either guys.

Brand new build with Z170x UD5 - TH and a GFX 960. If i boot without nvdr_drv=1 I can book but it is sluggish and only reads my display as a Display 7mb.

If i try and boot with the boot flags I get monitor off on loading.

Any help greatly appreciated!

My 960 not working either guys.

Brand new build with Z170x UD5 - TH and a GFX 960. If i boot without nvdr_drv=1 I can book but it is sluggish and only reads my display as a Display 7mb.

If i try and boot with the boot flags I get monitor off on loading.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Have you installed the web drivers ?

nvdr_drv=1 is incorrect. It should be nvda_drv=1

Back