Contribute
Register

Solving NVIDIA Driver Install & Loading Problems

Solving NVIDIA driver install problems

Just as an FYI, as I haven't dug deep into this yet - but i just installed latest security update for my Yosemite 10.10.5 this evening and now my nvidia web drivers won't load. In checking my build number - i now show this:

Version 10.10.5 (14F1505)

Could the update have changed my build number? web driver is obviously checking this because i now get an incompatible message. I am using 346.02.03f02.

Was working fine before.

If you have a non-native GPU then you have to wait for new drivers before updating. You can try this driver for 10.11.2 beta - http://us.download.nvidia.com/YXVa4s9EgmmsI1dfWUBwBitc4iOJ9Icg/WebDriver-346.03.04b02.pkg

A few updates to the guide have been made to help those with 10.10.5 who installed the latest security update and drivers won't load and no update is currently available.

Hi there,

I'm building a new rig with:

Asus Z170-Pro
Asus GTX 950 Strix 2GB OC
17,1 SysDef

and I patched the AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext as pointed out by PikeRAlpha here .

Everything works as expected but the dual monitors configuration: when I connect a 2nd monitor, no matter whether DVI or HDMI, and reboot the system enters in boot loop. While if I connect the 2nd monitor while system's already at desktop I can connect the 2nd monitor without problems. Any hints? Tried also a GTX 970 with no luck.

TIA! :)

Problem 4: Monitor goes to sleep at the end of the boot sequence when using iMac15,1 or iMac17,1 or MacPro 6,1 system definition

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents
/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist
nano cannot save the file:

Error writing /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents
/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist: Operation not permitted

I repaired complete permissions with system restart, but still cannot save the file.. :(

What can I do?

nano cannot save the file:

Error writing /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents
/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist: Operation not permitted

I repaired complete permissions with system restart, but still cannot save the file.. :(

What can I do?

You likely need to disable SIP.

For problem number 4, try the Clover Patch instead. This will persist across updates, and is easier to do anyway. I found it yesterday on Pike's website, and can confirm that it survived the most recent update.

In Clover Configurator:

Kernel and Kext Patches -> KextsToPatch:
Name = AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy
Find = 626F6172642D6964
Replace = 626F6172642D6978
Comment = AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy (board-id) Patch (c) Pike R. Alpha

So, I've managed to make the Gigabyte GTX 960 4gb work with Nvidia web drivers 10.10.5 (Although the Cinebench scores are lower than my old AMD Radeon HD 6870. I haven't figured that out, yet)

I would like to make this card work in Mountain Lion 10.8.5 as well (I have a separate drive with that OS). I think it's possible. I have successfully installed the 10.8.5 web drivers on that drive but during boot I get a hang with "unknown chipset". Any suggestions? Can I manually insert the chipset info in the info.plist?

My build:
ASUS p8z68-v lx
Gigabyte GTX 960 (4gb edition) with WebDriver-346.02.03f02
16g ram
OS 10.8.5

My Clover config.plist is attached. Thanks.

Attachments

• config.plist
    4.2 KB · Views: 234
> A few updates to the guide have been made to help those with 10.10.5 who installed the
>latest security update and drivers won't load and no update is currently available.

New web driver 346.02.03f03 seem to solve this problem for 10.10.5 with the latest security update .....

> A few updates to the guide have been made to help those with 10.10.5 who installed the
>latest security update and drivers won't load and no update is currently available.

New web driver 346.02.03f03 seem to solve this problem for 10.10.5 with the latest security update .....

Yes that driver is already linked to in the guide. I had people in other threads who had updated before the driver was out so I made that post.

Back