Contribute
Register

Solving NVIDIA Driver Install & Loading Problems

Solving NVIDIA driver install problems

sorry but problem 2 did it for me. after i booted back in all i had to do was enable navidia web drivers and everything was smooth after. thank you guys and im going to make my donation to tony, awsome stuff u guys be doing here. thanks again

slim your a life saver:thumbup:

I have a build with i7 4770/GTX 760/GA-H87N-WiFi that is back to running just fine as a MacPro6,1 in OSX 10.10.2, but I tried updating recently... *sigh* (as if life hadn't taught me better over the years.)

All seemed to work well until I got a blank screen at startup, while the system seemed to be running fine otherwise ... apart from me not seeing anything.

I found out about "Apple dropping nVidia support" and I did my best to add the .kext from another 10.10.2 installation, tried all the hacks regarding the nVidia Web Driver, even re-built the PKG with some tool that's in one of the threads here, finally got the Web Driver to install and show up in my SysPref and menu bar ... and that was it. Still didn't help, still only blank screen on startup.

I read through a lot of threads and I see a lot of info about GTX 750 and 9xx series cards, but nothing useful about GTX 760 cards. Am I the only one here with a GTX 760?
Or is a GTX 760 just generally known not to be working or fixed in 10.10.3+ anymore "like, ever"?

What a kick to the groin from nVidia it would be if they really decided to work on support for older and cheaper cards like the 750Ti in Hacs, but not for the former (well, nearly) flagship models that cost significant coin once upon a time.

Apple didn't remove NVidia support with the 10.10.4 update but they have switched back to AMD for the time being. Depending on your boot loader you need to add the boot flag nvda_drv=1 to your config file to use the NVidia drivers.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, much appreciated!

Hm, I thought "Apple removed nVidia" was the consensus at the time. My last attempt was about a month ago, and I see your first post has somewhat changed since then, a lot of stuff to try out. Maybe this weekend, when my nerves can deal with it. ;)

Having read all the (now, for me) additional info in your first post, roughly schemed I would proceed like so:

Obtain appropriate nVidia Web Driver, fix nWD installation with FPE tool, install driver and NOT reboot.
Then add nvda_drv=1 to Chameleon Kernel Flags, install OSX update and reboot.
In case of fire I use nv_disable=1 to try patching the driver after updating OSX.

Did I understand the process correctly?

When patching my OSX 10.10.2 in advance to update "over" the patched driver, do I need to download the Web Driver for my current OSX 10.10.2 or the target OSX 10.10.4?

Again, thank you so much for your help!

Best method really is to just update OS X and reboot with nv_disable=1 and update the driver. With 10.10.4 I tried my method of updating and had to boot with nv_disable=1 and reinstall the drivers anyways.

my config:
GIGABYTE Z77-D3H
CPU INTEL I5 2500K
RAM 32GB G-SKULL
GPU EVGA GTX 970 4GB.

YOSEMITE 10.10.4 WEB
DRIVER (346.01.03)

EVERYTHING WORKS FINE
EXCEPT THE GRAPHIC CARD FUNS
THEY ARE ALWAYS TURNED OFF.
THUS OFTEN THE GRAPHIC VIDEO is VERY SLOW.
ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Attachments

• 1.tiff
    75.4 KB · Views: 115
  • 2.tiff
    133.7 KB · Views: 106

my config:
GIGABYTE Z77-D3H
CPU INTEL I5 2500K
RAM 32GB G-SKULL
GPU EVGA GTX 970 4GB.

YOSEMITE 10.10.4 WEB
DRIVER (346.01.03)

EVERYTHING WORKS FINE
EXCEPT THE GRAPHIC CARD FUNS
THEY ARE ALWAYS TURNED OFF.
THUS OFTEN THE GRAPHIC VIDEO is VERY SLOW.
ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Those two screen shots appear to show everything is fine. Make sure GraphicsEnabler=No or Inject/NVidia/false. Also make sure you are booting with nvda_drv=1.

thanks for reply
i'm sure booting with nvda_drv=1.
new nvidia WEB DRIVER (346.01.03) add automatically nvda_drv=1. in nvram boot-args

sorry but regarding GraphicsEnabler=No or Inject/NVidia/false.
i dont know how to
I am using ozmosis rom bios therefore, I have not an org.chameleon.Boot.plist
or extra folder.
if you have a solution, I would be very grateful
thank you very much

Back