3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey there,

been successfully running my Yosemite Hackintosh (running as iMac 14,2) since a few years.
Running off of a SSD with dual boot Windows 10/Yosemite.
Now Adobe Lightroom forces me to update to Sierra.
How do I go from Yosemite with Chimera/Multibeast to Sierra/Clover?

I found Clover Basics and Switching Advice and then followed this to move from Chimera 4.1.0 to Clover... later I tried this to move directly to Sierra.
Both times Unibeast failed to create a bootable USB drive that is recognized in the Hackintosh Yosemite Startup Disk control panel or during boot. I also tried to create the USB drive on my iMac with El Capitan installed... the drive doesn't register in the Hackintoshs Startup Disk panel.

Oddly enough, all of these attempts were recognized by my original Mac computers Startup Disk panel as valid boot drives though.

On the Hackintosh, I tried different USB ports (USB2/USB3), deactivated XHCI to force all ports to USB2 to no avail.
I can see the USB drive in Gigabytes UEFI after pressing F12 during boot and chose it as startup Disk but then the command line lets me know it "Can't find /System/Library/Kernels/kernel" and checking the invisible system files on the drive there in fact is no directory Kernels/ in System/Library/.
I am able to mount the drives EFI partition with EFI Mounter and it is formatted with GUID table, using UEFI Boot mode in the Unibeast setup dialogue.

If I check the information for the drive in Disk Utility, it notes the drive is "bootable".

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Solved this by:
1. buying a different and larger USB drive (USB2)
2. deactivating XHCI and XHCI handoff in Bios for the creation and recognition of the bootable USB Sierra drive.

For the actual install and upgrade:
1. Made a backup image from my mac partition with Carbon Copy Cloner.
2. Made a backup bootable partition on my external USB HD.
3. Made a backup image from my windows partition, created a sparsebundle image from it to shrink it then recreated a windows backup image from this sparsebundle. Application used for this: Winclone
4. Booted from my external HD.
5. Reformatted and partitioned my internal SSD. Both partitions: Mac HFS+.
6. Restored my backup Yosemite to first partition.
7. Restored my backup Windows to second partition.

Exellent guides for these things can be found on Winclones and Carbon Copy Cloners support websites.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back