Contribute
Register

[Solved] Radeon RX 580 not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly I would just manually move over your apps and just bite the bullet about your settings and just redo them manually also.
So finally I got a fully working system! Thanks for the efforts!
But as I said, I lost completely Final Cut Studio 3 and I will have to purchase a new version of Final Cut Pro X, as the previous doesn't work anymore. But anyhow, I would have to drop it sooner or later. On the other hand I gained some other stuff, like H.265 support, which is valuable to me.

By the way - is it possible to make the on-board Thunderbolt functional?

But as I said, I lost completely Final Cut Studio 3 and I will have to purchase a new version of Final Cut Pro X, as the previous doesn't work anymore. But anyhow, I would have to drop it sooner or later. On the other hand I gained some other stuff, like H.265 support, which is valuable to me.

Glad you finally got it working, have never played around with TB sorry

Glad you finally got it working, have never played around with TB sorry
One more question ... I have seen reports of this GPU giving stellar performance in FCPX, but my card seems to be 4 times slower than a 280x ... But in Cinebench it is super-fast. In Luxmark the result is between a 280x and 290x, which is not so good. So it seems in OpenGL it works excellent and in OpenCL it is quite poor. Any idea where can be the problem? How is Your card performing? How is Your score in LuxMark Luxball? My card gives 13729.

One more question ... I have seen reports of this GPU giving stellar performance in FCPX, but my card seems to be 4 times slower than a 280x ... But in Cinebench it is super-fast. In Luxmark the result is between a 280x and 290x, which is not so good. So it seems in OpenGL it works excellent and in OpenCL it is quite poor. Any idea where can be the problem? How is Your card performing? How is Your score in LuxMark Luxball? My card gives 13729.
Have no clue on performance with FCPX but benchmarks in a hackintosh is meh anyways (comparing benchmarks from PC specs in Windows to hacked macOS), OpenCL is dead already or will be soon for macOS, LuxMark can only bench OpenCL and should be benching Metal. I have been using a RX 580 for about a year now and have not had any performance issues at all with playing Fortnite, WoW and a few other games.

Your board if its like mine (Gigabyte Z170 UDH3) has a Motherboard header similar to a USB 2.0 or 3.0 header for the front of the case. you will need to buy a PCIE slot thunderbolt card that will connect to PCIE slot ( obviously) and also connect to the motherboard header via a cable.

Your Luxmark score looks a bit low my XFX RX 480 reference card scores around 15,000 points. Check in about this Mac graphics/displays and see if you have 16 pice lanes or just 8 lanes.

Your board if its like mine (Gigabyte Z170 UDH3) has a Motherboard header similar to a USB 2.0 or 3.0 header for the front of the case. you will need to buy a PCIE slot thunderbolt card that will connect to PCIE slot ( obviously) and also connect to the motherboard header via a cable.

Your Luxmark score looks a bit low my XFX RX 480 reference card scores around 15,000 points. Check in about this Mac graphics/displays and see if you have 16 pice lanes or just 8 lanes.
Hi, if You mean the PCIe lane width, mine shows x16, which should be correct. I really don't understand why my benchmarks are so bad :(

Have no clue on performance with FCPX but benchmarks in a hackintosh is meh anyways (comparing benchmarks from PC specs in Windows to hacked macOS), OpenCL is dead already or will be soon for macOS, LuxMark can only bench OpenCL and should be benching Metal. I have been using a RX 580 for about a year now and have not had any performance issues at all with playing Fortnite, WoW and a few other games.

One more question,
since Sierra I have in the EFI partition except for the EFI folder also a file "nvram.plist". Do I need this?

My board actually has a Thunderbolt port on the back, but it doesn't show up in the OS.

One more question,
since Sierra I have in the EFI partition except for the EFI folder also a file "nvram.plist". Do I need this?
That really depends if your motherboard with its current firmware version has unlocked nvram. 99% of Z170 and above motherboards do not. Which is why EmuVariable.efi is required and uses nvram.plist in the root of your ESP. You can test to see if your motherboard nvram is unlocked by make a copy of EmuVariable.efi in EFI>Clover>drivers64UEFI and nvram.plist to your Desktop and remove them from their current location and then open Terminal and type:
Code:
sudo nvram TestVar=HelloWorld
Reboot and then open Terminal again and type:
Code:
nvram -p
If you see HelloWorld in the output that means that you have native working nvram and can remove EmuVariable.efi and nvram.plist from your system. If you do not see the text in the output then you will need to continue using those.

That really depends if your motherboard with its current firmware version has unlocked nvram. 99% of Z170 and above motherboards do not. Which is why EmuVariable.efi is required and uses nvram.plist in the root of your ESP. You can test to see if your motherboard nvram is unlocked by make a copy of EmuVariable.efi in EFI>Clover>drivers64UEFI and nvram.plist to your Desktop and remove them from their current location and then open Terminal and type:
Code:
sudo nvram TestVar=HelloWorld
Reboot and then open Terminal again and type:
Code:
nvram -p
If you see HelloWorld in the output that means that you have native working nvram and can remove EmuVariable.efi and nvram.plist from your system. If you do not see the text in the output then you will need to continue using those.

Thanks for the advice - just for sure - if I remove these files, will I be able to boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back