Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z270X-Gaming 5
CPU
i7 7700K
Graphics
GeForce GTX 1050 OC
I previously had an issue with booting Ubuntu 18.04 (LUKS disk encryption) and Windows 10 (VeraCrypt) with Clover, due to issues with certain UEFI drivers.

You may notice that loading APFS drivers will change the way your system sees your HDD layout, though both respective bootloaders should handle this case. If you experience issues with access denied errors like this on Ubuntu:

IMG_20181214_085516.jpg

I was able to resolve it by removing the AppleKeyFeeder-64.efi that was installed by Clover Configurator (potentially user error)

Generally speaking you may want to look into issues with your UEFI drivers, check for potential conflicts/redundancies, etc.

Hi there! Longtime lurker, used all the helpful info here to build myself a nice little hackintosh last year.

System:

Installed OSs:
- MacOS 10.13
- Windows 10
- Ubuntu 18.04​
All systems are encrypted with full disk encryption.
I've been able to keep all 3 OSs booting and encrypted with Veracrypt with no issues whatsoever thanks to all the helpful folks here.

Symptoms:

After updating Clover to version 4784, I am no longer able to boot other OSs due to some of the newer drivers that are loaded. MacOS boots perfectly normally after a clean update through Clover Configurator, however when attempting to boot another OS, I receive issued when decrypting.
Specifically, there seem to be additional, nonexistant HDDs that Clover or its drivers seem to be creating from the APFS volume.
Ubuntu and Windows (and Kali) all boot perfectly well when selected as the boot device in UEFI.

Booting Ubuntu manually by selecting it from my UEFI looks like this:
IMG_20181214_085212.jpg
Notice that it says hd2,gpt6 (UUID)
This is correct behavior - exactly what it was doing through Clover before the update, and had been consistently doing for over a year.

However, attempting to boot the exact same Ubuntu GRUB from the updated Clover results in the hd number changing:
IMG_20181214_085305.jpg
Notice that it now says hd6,gpt6 (SAME UUID)

I don't have an HD6.
I built this PC - there's only 3 drives in there.

Updates:

The problem seems to be with EFI drivers. I have the following drivers loaded. Removing underlined ones fixes booting issues for Ubuntu (haven't tested Windows yet) though obviously renders MacOS unbootable.

- ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi
- AppleImageCodec-64.efi
- AppleKeyAggregator-64.efi
- AppleKeyFeeder-64.efi
- AppleUITheme-64.efi
- AptioMemoryFix-64.efi
- DataHubDxe-64.efi
- FirmwareVolume-64.efi
- FSInject-64.efi
- HashServiceFix-64.efi
- VBoxExt4-64.efi
- VBoxHfs-64.efi
- VirtualSmc-64.efi​

If any of these seem redundant or unnecessary, PLEASE SAY SOMETHING haha

If I've made some kind of rookie mistake like putting this in the wrong section, just let me know.
I'll continue looking in to this and update the thread if I find anything out.

Last edited:
Did you have any special pointers to the Windows drive and the Linux partition in your config.plist? Did the Clover update replace the config.plist?

Yes, there are quite a few entries there. Admittedly, the GUI portion of things looks messy in the config due to several hidden entries.
I was previously having issues with FileVault2's Preboot entry and actually tracking down the correct UUID of the MacOS volume to hardcode it rather than scan for it, etc. and just kinda left a bunch of hidden entries once I got it working just in case.

Everything is linked to the UUID of the boot disk, then the path of the boot loader for that OS.
e.g. - Windows is:
Code:
<dict>
                                        <key>Disabled</key>
                                        <false/>
                                        <key>FullTitle</key>
                                        <string>Windows</string>
                                        <key>Hidden</key>
                                        <false/>
                                        <key>Ignore</key>
                                        <false/>
                                        <key>Path</key>
                                        <string>\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi</string>
                                        <key>Type</key>
                                        <string>Windows</string>
                                        <key>Volume</key>
                                        <string>4268ACCB-A3A7-41B7-8E7B-69ED709F62B8</string>
                                </dict>
...which, incidentally is the VeraCrypt bootloader.
Again, working well before these specific UEFI drivers, and still working fine when not using Clover.

My config.plist is attached.
Also I edited the OP for clarity and updated based on what I've determined about the drivers.

Attachments

• config.plist
    8.2 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Ok, well, solved my own problem. I'll update the OP accordingly.
I really appreciate you at least responding :thumbup:
The issue was the AppleKeyFeeder-64.efi driver.
After systematically removing/re-adding all the drivers, I've determined that this is the culprit.

I replaced it with the version of UsbKbDxe-64.efi that's in the 2.0.5 release of acidanthera's AppleSupportPkg on GitHub (the most recent release as of this writing) since they seem to serve the same purpose. Without the UsbKb one, my keyboard won't work to enter my user password for FileVault2.

Problem solved. I replaced ApfsDriverLoader and all is well, despite the hd number increment for Ubuntu and Windows.

Ok, well, solved my own problem. I'll update the OP accordingly.
I really appreciate you at least responding :thumbup:
The issue was the AppleKeyFeeder-64.efi driver.
After systematically removing/re-adding all the drivers, I've determined that this is the culprit.

I replaced it with the version of UsbKbDxe-64.efi that's in the 2.0.5 release of acidanthera's AppleSupportPkg on GitHub (the most recent release as of this writing) since they seem to serve the same purpose. Without the UsbKb one, my keyboard won't work to enter my user password for FileVault2.

Problem solved. I replaced ApfsDriverLoader and all is well, despite the hd number increment for Ubuntu and Windows.
I want to also add, that if you are also booting Windows and want to load it by choosing to exit Clover at the menu screen, it will prevent it form doing so if you are using AppleKeyFeeder-64.efi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back