Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] GTX Geforce 1050 not being detected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the input. I actually had that driver installed and the card still wasn't being recognized. Could there be something I'm missing in the BIOS settings?

Since you wrote the whole forum on these kinds of issues, is there anything amiss in my current settings on my mac? (I mean, not to single you out, but I've been struggling with this...and it's my first build)

Unfortunately I don't have a Pascal card to test so I'm a bit in the dark with some of the new issues.

Ok, I've done a little more work, and I think I've made "progress."

I ended up blowing everything away and recreating my UniBeast USB. I reset my BIOS and started from scratch. I made sure that the GPU had priority over the internal graphics, installed macOS, ran MultiBeast with the Nvidia Web drivers + emulation (don't remember the option off the top of my head). Installed the web drivers, after reboot still no luck. Ran clover configurator, made sure I had the files I needed for my drivers64 folder (just went through the steps in Slim.Jim's post), rebooted, still no difference. This last time I just chose Nvidia web drivers for my graphics, and now I'm stuck at the apple logo at boot. No progress bar, no kernel panic. I suppose in my book, that is progress, but I can't seem to get past that.

Ok, I've done a little more work, and I think I've made "progress."

I ended up blowing everything away and recreating my UniBeast USB. I reset my BIOS and started from scratch. I made sure that the GPU had priority over the internal graphics, installed macOS, ran MultiBeast with the Nvidia Web drivers + emulation (don't remember the option off the top of my head). Installed the web drivers, after reboot still no luck. Ran clover configurator, made sure I had the files I needed for my drivers64 folder (just went through the steps in Slim.Jim's post), rebooted, still no difference. This last time I just chose Nvidia web drivers for my graphics, and now I'm stuck at the apple logo at boot. No progress bar, no kernel panic. I suppose in my book, that is progress, but I can't seem to get past that.

Crikey, this is not going well, is it? Sorry to read about the freeze at Apple logo. This sounds as though the card is not being initialised. To check th underlying system, can you press Caps Shift and toggle the LED light on/off? If so it sounds as if the system is up "underneath" the GPU.

I'm only "reaching" now but why not try going into BIOS and enabling the Intel iGPU, connecting the HDMI cable to your HDMI motherboard port and also leaving the 1050 in there. If it boots using iGPU then check what System Information reports about your Nvidia card.

If all this continues to fail (and I can't understand why it is - unless it was an XFX brand card) then is it possible for you to try another Nvidia card - not necessarily the 1050 - just to see if the effects are the same?

:confused:

Crikey, this is not going well, is it? Sorry to read about the freeze at Apple logo. This sounds as though the card is not being initialised. To check th underlying system, can you press Caps Shift and toggle the LED light on/off? If so it sounds as if the system is up "underneath" the GPU.

I'm only "reaching" now but why not try going into BIOS and enabling the Intel iGPU, connecting the HDMI cable to your HDMI motherboard port and also leaving the 1050 in there. If it boots using iGPU then check what System Information reports about your Nvidia card.

If all this continues to fail (and I can't understand why it is - unless it was an XFX brand card) then is it possible for you to try another Nvidia card - not necessarily the 1050 - just to see if the effects are the same?

:confused:

Yea, I have already ordered another card to test- still a 1050 TI from EVGA (current card is a 1050 from Gigabyte). Maybe (hopefully) I'll get different results. But to make matters worse when I switched to the IGPU it still freezes on boot. :beachball:

I'm really sorry for all of this- I don't want to waste your time. Like I said, I'll try again once the new card comes in and I'll let you know if I have any more questions.

Yea, I have already ordered another card to test- still a 1050 TI from EVGA (current card is a 1050 from Gigabyte). Maybe (hopefully) I'll get different results. But to make matters worse when I switched to the IGPU it still freezes on boot. :beachball:

I'm really sorry for all of this- I don't want to waste your time. Like I said, I'll try again once the new card comes in and I'll let you know if I have any more questions.

Hey, it's not a problem. That's one of the reasons this community exists - to help out! :)

@WonkeyDonkey makes a good point - open your config.plist and give it a thorough check-over. Post it here if you like - you can xxxxxx out your serial numbers etc. Other people have posted theirs here so it might be a good idea to check one of those against yours. See if you can find a similar build etc., then if you find a difference, check it out.

Unless something is hardware faulty, your problems are probably just configuration. Others have used MSI motherboards without problem

:)

Hey, it's not a problem. That's one of the reasons this community exists - to help out! :)

@WonkeyDonkey makes a good point - open your config.plist and give it a thorough check-over. Post it here if you like - you can xxxxxx out your serial numbers etc. Other people have posted theirs here so it might be a good idea to check one of those against yours. See if you can find a similar build etc., then if you find a difference, check it out.

Unless something is hardware faulty, your problems are probably just configuration. Others have used MSI motherboards without problem

:)

Ok, turns out it was the graphics card. But I'm running into a different problem which might be for a different thread or someone might have already tried it.

The reason why I think I'm closer is because the actual card name is showing up in the bootloader, which wasn't the case before. Furthermore, I was able to partially boot into the OS.

My main issue right now is that I get a little over halfway in the Apple boot screen, but then I get the prohibitory sign. I'll try reinstalling and that time around I'll attach my config.plist before I reboot to see if maybe anyone can spot something wrong.

At any rate, if anyone is reading this and is having issues with the Geforce GTX 1050 from Gigabyte similar to mine, get a different card. In my case it was the EVGA 1050 Ti that at least fixed this particular issue. Whether the prohibitory sign is part of the graphics still is still up in the air, but I'll keep this post updated with anything I find.

/********************************************EDIT********************************************/

Attached my config.plist file. I followed the directions from this post: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-sierra-on-msi-z170m-mortar-i7-6700k.209227/

If you like, nitpick it. Please let me know if I am missing anything.

Thanks!

Thank you @UtterDisbelief, @slim.jim , and @WonkeyDonkey again for you help and support. Ya'll have been great!

Attachments

• IMG_1664.JPG
    IMG_1664.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 244
  • config.plist
    1.3 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
Morning! :) (Well it is here anyway ;))

Glad you found someone else with the same motherboard to compare BIOS settings with. Good news.

I'm not an expert but thought I'd download the config.plist and took a look anyway ...

From here there isn't enough in that config to get a system running, as far as I can tell. It looks just like the SMBIOS section in the main. It needs a LOT more in it.

Before those sections you need an RTVariables section to disable (partially or fully) the Apple CSR protection system.
You need a KernelAndKextPatches, a Graphics, a Boot and an ACPI section.

Maybe you just edited them out before posting? If so, sorry for misunderstanding.

Next up I see you have a system definition of 17,1 Personally I would try 14,2. The 17,1 def gives a black screen on boot unless you add extra kexts and tweaks, It makes things harder. Yes, it more closely matches the hardware and you can experiment later once you are up and running, but I'd change that.

(A note though: Changing Sys Def will change the serial number too, so I'd record all details (or backup the config.plist) before changing. You can then re-enter the serials afterwards to maintain your iCloud authorisation. Otherwise your hack will be treated as a new Mac etc.)

The prohibitory sign can be a boot-disk problem. So can an Error: 1234. For that, check the BIOS is choosing the correct boot-drive (if you have more than one physical disk in the PC etc).

Keep going! :)

That config file is indeed scant of information and is unlikely to lead to a bootable system without further editing. You could try holding onto the Gigabyte card, and first getting a running system. If necessary, use integrated graphics to begin with, tweak/tune your system to make sure all is working, then switch to the Gigabyte card.

The reason I suggest this is because your config file is bare and does not contain enough information, and also because Gigabyte cards generally work well if the target system is configured properly. EVGA cards also work pretty well.

@UtterDisbelief , @WonkeyDonkey, thank you for your input, and sorry for my absence. Things picked up at work and I got a little preoccupied with that. I blew away the system again (I seem to do that a lot...) and have done as yall have suggested.

Sadly, I returned the Gigabyte card, so for now I'm stuck with the EVGA card.

Attached is my revised config.plist document. Somethings will be commented (namely Nvidia web drivers), but I'll enable them on reboot. Feel free to take apart. It should have more than the last one.

Prior to this, I installed the web drivers and tried adding a few kexts (FakeSMC and AppleIntelE1000e). I also enabled the web drivers, only to find my computer at kernel panic at boot. Not sure what caused what, any thoughts? (see attached photo for details).

Right now I'm going to try again with the kexts show below. I'll be sure to check the system definition before booting up. Wish me luck boys, I'll see you on the other side...

/*UPDATE*/
Same result- kernel panic. Somewhat at a loss again.:(

IMG_1692.JPG
Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 10.50.27 PM.png

Attachments

• config.plist
    18.3 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back