Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z170M Mortar
CPU
Intel Core i7 6700K
Graphics
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050
/*******************************UPDATE: SOLVED*******************************/

Thanks to BreBo, all you need to do is set Graphics>Inject>Nvidia to false. Seriously. All I needed to do. Look through thread for more details.

/*******************************UPDATE: SOLVED*******************************/

Ok, I'm desperate now.

This is my current system:
  • MSI z170m motherboard
  • 8GB RAM
  • GTX GeForce 1050 2GB
I have been looking all over the inter webs searching for a reason why my graphics card is not recognized. Yes, I have tried option 6 from Solving NVIDIA Driver Install and Loading Problems. Much to my dismay, it did not working. Generally when I boot, I get a no entry sign. When I change the boot options to ENABLE Nvidia web drivers, it works, however I am still stuck with the default OS X configuration (which right now is at 3840x2160...my eyes are straining a bit here lads!).

From what I understood, the 1XXX series from NVIDIA should be supported. I have downloaded the most current web driver and have had no luck getting the ball rolling on the graphics card. I'm not 100% sure if its just a bad card, since at boot up I can see the fan turn on.

So what am I missing? I feel like I have exhausted all my options and at this point I just want this thing to work (well, I've always wanted it to work, oh you know what I mean).

Any suggestions? Any other places y'all know of that I can look for more guidance?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 10.48.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 10.48.20 PM.png
    104.7 KB · Views: 1,330
  • Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 10.48.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 10.48.29 PM.png
    96.4 KB · Views: 1,103
  • Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 11.02.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 11.02.32 PM.png
    112.8 KB · Views: 1,161
  • Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 11.11.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 11.11.31 PM.png
    103.8 KB · Views: 1,024
  • Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 11.14.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 11.14.28 PM.png
    79.8 KB · Views: 940
  • config.plist
    6.9 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:
Hi there :)

Trying to be logical here ...

Well it looks as though you have the same GPU as me - the Device ID's are the same etc., however I notice your System Information window shows that no kext is loaded and it's not being properly recognised. So I take that as being the Nvidia drivers at fault rather than your card (hopefully anyway!).

GPU.jpeg

I'm guessing your system otherwise works okay, so what I would try is to uninstall the Nvidia drivers and boot again using the unaccelerated macOS driver. Some have reported they can't boot at all without the driver but my system with this card can. I'm guessing you were able to too.

Yes, the EmuVariableUefi-64.efi from Clover needs to be in the CLOVER/drivers64UEFI sub-folder to retain Nvidia driver info defaults.

(Might be a good opportunity to check the BIOS settings for first boot PCIe GPU with iGPU set to auto or similar. I've had occasional random BIOS resets recently - unsure if it's the drivers or something else...)

Once at the desktop run DiskUtil to check the boot drive for errors. Only reason I say this is because the "no entry" sign can be a disk problem as well. Then run a fresh download of the Nvidia drivers.

You've probably done all of the above, but it might serve to help isolate the problem.

Good luck :)

Hi there :)

Trying to be logical here ...

Well it looks as though you have the same GPU as me - the Device ID's are the same etc., however I notice your System Information window shows that no kext is loaded and it's not being properly recognised. So I take that as being the Nvidia drivers at fault rather than your card (hopefully anyway!).

View attachment 252145

I'm guessing your system otherwise works okay, so what I would try is to uninstall the Nvidia drivers and boot again using the unaccelerated macOS driver. Some have reported they can't boot at all without the driver but my system with this card can. I'm guessing you were able to too.

Yes, the EmuVariableUefi-64.efi from Clover needs to be in the CLOVER/drivers64UEFI sub-folder to retain Nvidia driver info defaults.

(Might be a good opportunity to check the BIOS settings for first boot PCIe GPU with iGPU set to auto or similar. I've had occasional random BIOS resets recently - unsure if it's the drivers or something else...)

Once at the desktop run DiskUtil to check the boot drive for errors. Only reason I say this is because the "no entry" sign can be a disk problem as well. Then run a fresh download of the Nvidia drivers.

You've probably done all of the above, but it might serve to help isolate the problem.

Good luck :)

Thanks UtterDisbelief. The EmuVariableUefi-64.efi is present in the drivers64UEFI folder. However, I am able to to use the default macOS driver (or so I think) to boot back into the machine. I have noticed that when I try connecting to the motherboard to my display I get nothing. When I take the GPU out then I am able to use the motherboard HDMI.

I did check the boot drive for errors and nothing came up (as in no errors). I neglected to take a screenshot since I had to dart off to work, but generally whenever I do something with the NVIDIA drivers I end up with the no entry symbol at boot.

As far as the kext is concerned, if that is all that is missing is there anything I can do to get it there? Any folder?

In the BIOS settings for first boot, not seeing that setting. I'll keep digging though.

Thanks again for your input and help. I've been having difficulty finding someone else who has my same card and has no issue with it. Not saying that it is a problematic card, but most posts are from a while ago before Pascal support.

Thanks UtterDisbelief. The EmuVariableUefi-64.efi is present in the drivers64UEFI folder. However, I am able to to use the default macOS driver (or so I think) to boot back into the machine. I have noticed that when I try connecting to the motherboard to my display I get nothing. When I take the GPU out then I am able to use the motherboard HDMI.

I did check the boot drive for errors and nothing came up (as in no errors). I neglected to take a screenshot since I had to dart off to work, but generally whenever I do something with the NVIDIA drivers I end up with the no entry symbol at boot.

As far as the kext is concerned, if that is all that is missing is there anything I can do to get it there? Any folder?

In the BIOS settings for first boot, not seeing that setting. I'll keep digging though.

Thanks again for your input and help. I've been having difficulty finding someone else who has my same card and has no issue with it. Not saying that it is a problematic card, but most posts are from a while ago before Pascal support.

Yes, not many have gone for the basic Pascal card, but I've found it fast and reliable.

The Nvidia drivers update a string of kexts in System/Library/Extensions - they are nv*.* and Geforce*.* etc. You should be able to tell by the dates if they have been updated.

So you get a full un-accelerated display output from the card using the default macOS drivers?

The motherboard HDMI not working until you take out the 1050 might indicate that the BIOS is set to prioritise the card and the iGPU is disabled. I'm not sure about this because I don't know the MSI's BIOS etc.

You can set BIOS to initialise the 1050 first and have the iGPU enabled.:crazy:

Keep going! :)

So did a little more digging, and this is what I have come up with.

Fors starters, I still get un-accelerated graphics when I am connected to the graphics card. I tried uninstalling the drivers, setting the iGPU as my default (sadly I don't have the option for auto, unless I should just have it work with the graphics card like it was before) and then I reinstalled the drivers and still nothing from the computer on whether it can see the card or not.

Attached are my graphics info and also all my kexts BEFORE the driver install. Even after the install there was no change. I'm fairly sure that I have all the drivers that I need from multibeast.

I'll try the suggestions from the common graphics issue forum again to see if I missed anything. Is there anything you see that I missed?

Attachments

• GraphicsInfo.png
    GraphicsInfo.png
    38.9 KB · Views: 537
  • KextsFromExtensions.png
    KextsFromExtensions.png
    217.5 KB · Views: 571
  • drivers64UEFI.png
    drivers64UEFI.png
    142.5 KB · Views: 605
So did a little more digging, and this is what I have come up with.

Fors starters, I still get un-accelerated graphics when I am connected to the graphics card. I tried uninstalling the drivers, setting the iGPU as my default (sadly I don't have the option for auto, unless I should just have it work with the graphics card like it was before) and then I reinstalled the drivers and still nothing from the computer on whether it can see the card or not.

Attached are my graphics info and also all my kexts BEFORE the driver install. Even after the install there was no change. I'm fairly sure that I have all the drivers that I need from multibeast.

I'll try the suggestions from the common graphics issue forum again to see if I missed anything. Is there anything you see that I missed?

Ok, comparing with my own build ...

Well I'm guessing the Extensions folder you have screen-grabbed is the Library/Extensions folder . The Nvidia drivers are in System/Library/Extensions instead.

I'm guessing you are using System Definition iMac17,1 ? I'm using iMac14,2 - You should only need Lilu.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext for 17,1 so I would try removing them and using 14,2 etc (if you have signed-in with iCloud you could copy your serial numbers etc to re-enter them again in the new config or your machine will be seen as a new one etc)

In the CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder I have much the same except only one OsxAptio file - OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi. So I don't have the version without the '2" etc

Yes, I have the same system info about the Intel iGPU. Only difference is my BIOS is set to "Auto" and so when I boot with the 1050 in place, the iGPU is turned off and Clover doesn't see it. (The iGPU option is in the "Chipset" section of my Gigabyte BIOS - Enable/Disable/Auto etc)

Because you do get graphics out from the 1050 but in un-accelerated mode it suggests to me it's still a driver issue ...

Not sure if any of that helps, but keep going :)

Ok, comparing with my own build ...

Well I'm guessing the Extensions folder you have screen-grabbed is the Library/Extensions folder . The Nvidia drivers are in System/Library/Extensions instead.

I'm guessing you are using System Definition iMac17,1 ? I'm using iMac14,2 - You should only need Lilu.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext for 17,1 so I would try removing them and using 14,2 etc (if you have signed-in with iCloud you could copy your serial numbers etc to re-enter them again in the new config or your machine will be seen as a new one etc)

In the CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder I have much the same except only one OsxAptio file - OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi. So I don't have the version without the '2" etc

Yes, I have the same system info about the Intel iGPU. Only difference is my BIOS is set to "Auto" and so when I boot with the 1050 in place, the iGPU is turned off and Clover doesn't see it. (The iGPU option is in the "Chipset" section of my Gigabyte BIOS - Enable/Disable/Auto etc)

Because you do get graphics out from the 1050 but in un-accelerated mode it suggests to me it's still a driver issue ...

Not sure if any of that helps, but keep going :)

Just curious, and before I do anything else, which driver version do you have downloaded from Nvidia?

You must be running 10.12.4 and you should be using this driver - https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/378/WebDriver-378.05.05.05f02.pkg

There is also the f01 driver but that on breaks Night Shift.

Thanks for the input. I actually had that driver installed and the card still wasn't being recognized. Could there be something I'm missing in the BIOS settings?

Since you wrote the whole forum on these kinds of issues, is there anything amiss in my current settings on my mac? (I mean, not to single you out, but I've been struggling with this...and it's my first build)

Yea I don't have that setting. It's either PEG or IGP. Maybe my BIOS needs an update, I'll take a closer look tonight after work.

Thanks again for you're input, I'll keep going :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back