Contribute
Register

[Solved] 10.15.1, updated kexts, pastrychef-verified EFI, 5700XT freezes in OS

Status
Not open for further replies.
so, install whatevergreen from hackintool to the OS? and keep it disabled in the EFI?

No. Try using Hackintool to build the latest version, then try booting normally with the latest build of WhateverGreen. Maybe vit9696 has implemented a new fix...

That config.plist has a significant number of additions that ours does not.

F*CK. I disabled whatevergreen and am booted off the 5700XT. What the hell just happened?

This is what we all felt when we were testing. Now just get it to work with WEG and agdpmod=pikera
If that’s not working there are boot arguments in clover configurator scroll to whatevergreen then to the right there at other options for WEG.

Latest update:

I've attached two EFI folders in the zip here. One is "EFI-nch107-updated," the other is "EFI-P08-updated"
They're both running the same kexts (if shared, nch107 had things P08 didn't and viceversa)
Freshly compiled kexts via hackintool per pastrychef's request - could someone independently verify the latests kexts for me, please?
They can both boot the machine without the 5700XT installed.
nch107 boots to a black screen with the 5700XT installed and default boot options, boots into the OS without WEG, but freezes
P08 hangs on the apple logo with the progress bar near 90% with the 5700XT installed and default boot options, still hangs without WEG

So we're seemingly making better progress with the nch107 EFI that pastrychef fixed a few weeks ago. It has more boot arguments than the P08 version. The only WEG argument is -wegbeta... but that doesn't make sense to me. The boot arguments are as follows:

-alcbeta
-disablegfxfirmware
-lilubetaall
-wegbeta
dart=0
keepsyms=1
shikigva=1
darkwake=1
nvda_drv=1

I only know what a few of these actually mean. I also don't know what agdpmod=pikera does. I couldn't find a reference in my quick useless searching. If there is a definitive reference for these things, I would like a link. :)

@Gigamaxx would you be willing to take a look at the nch107 EFI in the zip attached? What makes sense, what doesn't? It has lots of things P08 doesn't. Do I need all the boot arguments listed above? Obviously, I can add the agdpmod=pikera to the arguments and test that, but I'd like to figure which argument or what other setting(s) is/are allowing the nch107 EFI to actually boot with the video card installed. Since pastrychef and I never got that far with P08, my brain won't be satisfied unless I know. :)

I'd ultimately like to make sure the config is clean and that we know exactly what's happening for easier troubleshooting in the future. Specifically, dart=0 disables VT-d/x based on what I found, so my brain tells me it's unnecessary given the fact that it's already disabled in the BIOS. The small things really bug me. Could it be that -disablegfxfirmware is doing more to kill the iGPU than the current ASUS BIOS settings allow? I can only guess. If so, would that mean including arguments like dart=0 is actually good?

I also prefer the theme in the P08 version, but I think that's as simple as changing the theme in the config.plist, right?

I'll be up for a while if there are more things I can test tonight. Otherwise, back at it tomorrow. Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• EFI-Updated.zip
    47.6 MB · Views: 140
shikivga is for IGPU to allow certain decode functions in apps like Netflix etc..

Disablegfxfirmware is also for IGPU issues.

Nvda_drv=1 is for loading Nvidia web drivers. All three can be removed.

Dart=0 is as you say and it shouldn’t make any difference if it’s shut off in bios, but you can remove it.

Darkwake is for sleep functions or wake from sleep.

Keepsyms is for keeping a log of boot record or debug.

Latest update:

I've attached two EFI folders in the zip here. One is "EFI-nch107-updated," the other is "EFI-P08-updated"
They're both running the same kexts (if shared, nch107 had things P08 didn't and viceversa)
Freshly compiled kexts via hackintool per pastrychef's request - could someone independently verify the latests kexts for me, please?
They can both boot the machine without the 5700XT installed.
nch107 boots to a black screen with the 5700XT installed and default boot options, boots into the OS without WEG, but freezes
P08 hangs on the apple logo with the progress bar near 90% with the 5700XT installed and default boot options, still hangs without WEG

So we're seemingly making better progress with the nch107 EFI that pastrychef fixed a few weeks ago. It has more boot arguments than the P08 version. The only WEG argument is -wegbeta... but that doesn't make sense to me. The boot arguments are as follows:

-alcbeta
-disablegfxfirmware
-lilubetaall
-wegbeta
dart=0
keepsyms=1
shikigva=1
darkwake=1
nvda_drv=1

I only know what a few of these actually mean. I also don't know what agdpmod=pikera does. I couldn't find a reference in my quick useless searching. If there is a definitive reference for these things, I would like a link. :)

@Gigamaxx would you be willing to take a look at the nch107 EFI in the zip attached? What makes sense, what doesn't? It has lots of things P08 doesn't. Do I need all the boot arguments listed above? Obviously, I can add the agdpmod=pikera to the arguments and test that, but I'd like to figure which argument or what other setting(s) is/are allowing the nch107 EFI to actually boot with the video card installed. Since pastrychef and I never got that far with P08, my brain won't be satisfied unless I know. :)

I'd ultimately like to make sure the config is clean and that we know exactly what's happening for easier troubleshooting in the future. Specifically, dart=0 disables VT-d/x based on what I found, so my brain tells me it's unnecessary given the fact that it's already disabled in the BIOS. The small things really bug me. Could it be that -disablegfxfirmware is doing more to kill the iGPU than the current ASUS BIOS settings allow? I can only guess. If so, would that mean including arguments like dart=0 is actually good?

I also prefer the theme in the P08 version, but I think that's as simple as changing the theme in the config.plist, right?

I'll be up for a while if there are more things I can test tonight. Otherwise, back at it tomorrow. Thanks everyone!

One difference I noticed is both EFI folders use different sets of Clover drivers and Aptio fixes. Not sure if that would affect things.

I don't like to mess with Aptio fixes on users' EFI folders with Z390 motherboards because of the inconsistencies with Z390, Aptio fixes, and NVRAM.

Please try replacing the piano08 drivers and kexts folders with nch107 drivers and kexts folders. Then try booting from the piano08 EFI and see if that makes a difference.

AMD Radeon RX 5700 8Gb NAVI Gpu is working without Black Screen by just adding only "agdpmod=pikera" with all the latest kexts

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-11-02 at 1.07.28 AM.png
    Screenshot 2019-11-02 at 1.07.28 AM.png
    205.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Screenshot 2019-11-02 at 5.29.14 AM.png
    Screenshot 2019-11-02 at 5.29.14 AM.png
    218.2 KB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot 2019-11-02 at 6.29.13 PM.png
    Screenshot 2019-11-02 at 6.29.13 PM.png
    159.4 KB · Views: 69
Status
Not open for further replies.