Contribute
Register

[Solved] 10.15.1, updated kexts, pastrychef-verified EFI, 5700XT freezes in OS

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other guys got their cards running stable. The one guy who had freezing problems figured out it was because of his CPU.
Oooooh lol I get it! It's funny just now I started having issues with my EFI + Catalina 10.15.1 + my two 5700xt GPUs. I'm able to get it up and running but just like @piano08man it freezes upon logging into the system. Sometimes maybe 5 mins into it it will just freeze, hang, beach ball spinning non-stop or the cursor just disappears. So I'm hoping that it gets back to operating as it did days ago.

Attachments

• Updated with combo settings.zip
    30.2 MB · Views: 110
Has there been anyone who has gotten clover 5098 to work without issues on a similar system like our mobo? @piano08man

I have the same freezing issue as others do. I have the exact MB, CPU as you. I am currently wondering if the version of the CPU makes a difference. Because there are two versions of 9900K on the market. The older one is steeping P0 and the later one is stepping R0. A post on another forum says that the R0 stepping "fixes a bug that caused PCIE controllers to die or glitch out on P0." Though there aren't any other sources that support this claim, if it is true then the graphical problem might occur because the GPU is connected via the PCIE interface.
My CPU is in P0 stepping which is the older one. Do you know what stepping your CPU is? AFAIK, the CPU purchased before March should be all P0 stepping. This can be verified easily using the CPU-Z tool.

I have the same freezing issue as others do. I have the exact MB, CPU as you. I am currently wondering if the version of the CPU makes a difference. Because there are two versions of 9900K on the market. The older one is steeping P0 and the later one is stepping R0. A post on another forum says that the R0 stepping "fixes a bug that caused PCIE controllers to die or glitch out on P0." Though there aren't any other sources that support this claim, if it is true then the graphical problem might occur because the GPU is connected via the PCIE interface.
My CPU is in P0 stepping which is the older one. Do you know what stepping your CPU is? AFAIK, the CPU purchased before March should be all P0 stepping. This can be verified easily using the CPU-Z tool.

Hi all, first post here even if i read a lot and learn a lot from this site.
I also have a 9900K and freezing issues on Catalina, with Asus Tuf Z390M Pro Gaming, pretty similar to your MB. I don't have freeze with my Vega 56. I have to check if I have the same issue on Windows, which already froze, but I want to reinstall the drivers first just to be sure.
I'll check tomorrow if I have a P0 stepping. Also I noticed that a new BIOS is available for my mobo so i will try it. Are you running the latest BIOS?

Hi all, first post here even if i read a lot and learn a lot from this site.
I also have a 9900K and freezing issues on Catalina, with Asus Tuf Z390M Pro Gaming, pretty similar to your MB. I don't have freeze with my Vega 56. I have to check if I have the same issue on Windows, which already froze, but I want to reinstall the drivers first just to be sure.
I'll check tomorrow if I have a P0 stepping. Also I noticed that a new BIOS is available for my mobo so i will try it. Are you running the latest BIOS?

I had freezing issues and updated to 10.15.2 beta 1 and it fixed my freezing do a back up and try it I have a 9900k with a msi z370 gaming m5

I had freezing issues and updated to 10.15.2 beta 1 and it fixed my freezing do a back up and try it I have a 9900k with a msi z370 gaming m5

Thanks, I will try to update so. I noticed that the 9900K P0 is not in the supported list of my mobo, only the R0 revision, hope this is just an omission...
Great hopes on 10.15.2 otherwise, I will keep you tuned

Edit: The 9900K works just fine (it is a R0 revision actually). Crashes don't happen anymore since 10.15.2 beta with the RX 5700 XT. Noiiiiice!

Last edited:
Thats awesome @Swiffer78, Can you share your EFI? A few days ago I ran into the issue again. I honestly have no idea what is causing this issue, I have went into BIOS tried troubleshooting switching CSR on and off, changing the DRAM frequency, switched to multiple displays and change from 64 to 128 and yet still having issues. I updated to the most recent Whatevergreen.kext and Lilu.kext and still freezes. So that leads me here:

I went and updated to Catalina 10.15.2 Beta 3 last night and it did run smoothly for a few hours before coming to a complete halting as I was just searching on chrome. So Im stuck trying to troubleshooting atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back