Contribute
Register

Photos app makes system freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my system it has definitely something to do with the photoanalysisd and mediaanalysisd.(I have an RX 480) After importing some pictures to photos my system randomly froze once or twice per day! I'm still not able to open the Photos App without a freeze, but after disabling the above mentioned services I at least solved the random freezes.

Today, I tried swapping out the RX 580 with a GTX 1080 (Gigabyte GV-N1080IX-8GD) using the Nvidia Web Drivers and opened up Photos, and no issues.

Not sure what is unique to the RX 580 that makes it freeze. I also notice that the same issue happens with the RX 580 when I open my "Desktop & Screen Saver"->"Screen Saver" control panel, but not when the GTX 1080 is in.

@roo21, the RX580 really is a rebranded RX480, so I'm pretty sure both are cards are using the same kernel drivers.

Here they tried to fix the problem, by using a dummy kext(which seemed to help), but @germant52 later said, that this kext causes some different issues. Therefore i didn't tried it out by myself!

Since the RX580 is natively supported, I tried to set RedeonDeInt to NO in my config.plist, yesterday, and it seems it worked.

I tried out your RedeonDeInt method, but nothing changed... After that I saw a recent post on a german forum, where they suggested to remove Whatevergreen and now photos doesn't crash anymore! :D

Well, obviously I should have mentioned, that I have never applied anything like Lilu or Whatevergreen, just RedeonDeInt. :) RX 580 is working OOB. I'm glad it's fixed.

Yesterday I tried to update to the current Public Beta of Mojave! Everything works perfectly, but I have the exact same issue with photos as before... (without Whatevergreen and with RedeonDeInit turned off)

Cool, at least this seems to be a known bug. ;) Same issue with my "everything else is working" High Sierra with RX580. I guess I could try to let it sit overnight tonight to see if it finishes whatever it is doing. Console output definitely looks like GPU restart errors are everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back