Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Great work Cosmic. Thanks dclive for your precious suggestions. Thanks a lot. all seems to work well

Last edited:
Hello,

When you install an OS (whatever this OS is), you should have physically connected only two items :

1) the bootable USB/DVD/etc., installer; and
2) the destination (target) storage.

Having other storage connected is not desirable.

Cheers.
thanks for your suggestions. I'll try to disconnect all the devices except USB and target SSD.

Hi, I'm migrating my Z370-G build from Clover to OpenCore 0.9.5 (and from Mojave to Big Sur) by following Dortania's guide from scratch. My installer EFI is essentially ready, with only USB port mapping to do. While getting into the world of port mapping I realized that a ready-made OC EFI is kindly provided here in this forum.
Now, my custom EFI appears to be much leaner than the one provided here, with only 3 drivers vs 33. I assume those extra files are to guarantee maximum compatibility with whatever hardware and MacOS versions one might want to install. Also, I have NVMeFix.kext which is not present here. So, given the time invested I'd like to complete my EFI rather than switch to the ready made one.

My question is, can I simply copy the USBPorts.kext from this EFI to my EFI? After all isn't there only one solution to port mapping on any given motherboard? Thanks

PS. On a side note I want to thank @pastrychef for this build, which has served me outstandingly well through the years. In fact, I've had fewer freezes on this system than on my several original Macs. There you go Apple.

Hi, I'm migrating my Z370-G build from Clover to OpenCore 0.9.5 (and from Mojave to Big Sur) by following Dortania's guide from scratch. My installer EFI is essentially ready, with only USB port mapping to do. While getting into the world of port mapping I realized that a ready-made OC EFI is kindly provided here in this forum.
Now, my custom EFI appears to be much leaner than the one provided here, with only 3 drivers vs 33. I assume those extra files are to guarantee maximum compatibility with whatever hardware and MacOS versions one might want to install. Also, I have NVMeFix.kext which is not present here. So, given the time invested I'd like to complete my EFI rather than switch to the ready made one.

My question is, can I simply copy the USBPorts.kext from this EFI to my EFI? After all isn't there only one solution to port mapping on any given motherboard? Thanks

PS. On a side note I want to thank @pastrychef for this build, which has served me outstandingly well through the years. In fact, I've had fewer freezes on this system than on my several original Macs. There you go Apple.

Hi there.

I'm sure @pastrychef will be along in a while, but in the mean time, just to shed some light ...

Yes, there are a lot of drivers listed in the supplied EFI but only a few are enabled. You may have only three, but a good one to add to that is ResetNvramEntry.efi as this will allow you to clear NVRAM from the boot screen. There are others enbled for things like PS2 keyboards etc. Not everyone has the same peripherals so that's why they are available.

Although I don't have this motherboard personally, I use NVMe SSDs and have not yet needed to use NVMeFix.kext in my builds, but your mileage may vary.

Finally a USBPorts.kext is very personal to the builder as it activates those ports the person deems necessary. If you wish to make your own choices then with the version of OpenCore you are using just activate the XhciPortLimit Quirk in your config.plist. You might also install the USBInjectAll.kext v 0.7.7. With these in place all your USB ports will be available for you to make choices on and create your own USBPorts.kext. However, if you use someone else's USBPorts.kext you need to make sure the system-definition it was written for matches the one you are using, or it will do nothing.

:)

Hi there.

I'm sure @pastrychef will be along in a while, but in the mean time, just to shed some light ...

Yes, there are a lot of drivers listed in the supplied EFI but only a few are enabled. You may have only three, but a good one to add to that is ResetNvramEntry.efi as this will allow you to clear NVRAM from the boot screen. There are others enbled for things like PS2 keyboards etc. Not everyone has the same peripherals so that's why they are available.

Although I don't have this motherboard personally, I use NVMe SSDs and have not yet needed to use NVMeFix.kext in my builds, but your mileage may vary.

Finally a USBPorts.kext is very personal to the builder as it activates those ports the person deems necessary. If you wish to make your own choices then with the version of OpenCore you are using just activate the XhciPortLimit Quirk in your config.plist. You might also install the USBInjectAll.kext v 0.7.7. With these in place all your USB ports will be available for you to make choices on and create your own USBPorts.kext. However, if you use someone else's USBPorts.kext you need to make sure the system-definition it was written for matches the one you are using, or it will do nothing.

:)
Thanks for your reply. Indeed, ResetNvramEntry.efi is one of those three drivers I selected!

USB mapping: If I remember correctly the Z370-G is ideal in the sense that if you ecxlude 3 out of 4 internal USB sockets (one is used for bluetooth) you're left with just 15 sockets. I thus assumed that for this specific motherboard there would be only one sensible port mapping solution...

Since we're here, is RadeonBoost still a thing? (RX570)

cheers L

I assume those extra files are to guarantee maximum compatibility with whatever hardware and MacOS versions one might want to install.

Correct. That's what I tried to do.

Also, I have NVMeFix.kext which is not present here.

I never saw the need for it. From what I understand, it adds missing power modes to some SSDs. On a desktop, I don't see the point.

My question is, can I simply copy the USBPorts.kext from this EFI to my EFI? After all isn't there only one solution to port mapping on any given motherboard?

If the motherboard is the same model, then yes. Keep in mind that I mapped the M.2 slot for Bluetooth. If you have a Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card in a PCI-e slot, you will have to change that.

If the motherboard is the same model, then yes. Keep in mind that I mapped the M.2 slot for Bluetooth. If you have a Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card in a PCI-e slot, you will have to change that.
I do use the Fenvi T919, so I guess I'm going to have to go through the USB mapping purgatory...

Thanks for all clarifications!

I do use the Fenvi T919, so I guess I'm going to have to go through the USB mapping purgatory...

Thanks for all clarifications!

Look in my USBports.kext. Look for the 255 port and change it to whichever port you are using for Bluetooth.

Look in my USBports.kext. Look for the 255 port and change it to whichever port you are using for Bluetooth.
FYI, I checked USBports.kext in the latest few OC EFI uploads (0.9.3 and 0.9.5) and it seems to contain data from an entirely different motherboard to the Z370-G. I had to go back to 0.8.9 to find a relevant file. Not sure it's a bug but I thought I should report it... cheers

Back