Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> OS X Mavericks download - Where to find it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend that has an old MacBook running Lion on it. We can’t download Mavericks to it because the Safari browser is out of date and it won’t let us update it. Any thoughts on updating Safari? Do these Mac OS installer links absolutely require the use of Safari?
Lion has the Mac App Store app so sign into that with the Apple ID originally used to download Mavericks. That should work. If not, try upgrading the laptop to Mt. Lion.

Download Mt. Lion, update the MacBook to that then try via the MAS. Use Chrome or Firefox.

Screen_Shot.jpg

Last edited:
I just signed in to the MAS on my 2011 Mac mini and that lets me download Mavericks. It doesn't require the use of Safari at all. I don't have any older Mac still running Lion though. Can't test that.

Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 6.05.02 AM.png

Last edited:
I just signed in to the MAS on my 2011 Mac mini and that lets me download Mavericks. It doesn't require the use of Safari at all. I don't have any older Mac still running Lion though.

View attachment 551676

Importanlty you need an older machine or OS X version (or sys-def?) to make this work.

For example, me, today, High Sierra host:

Mav.png

So from which running OS you download it has a real bearing, even if you do legitimately own it.

:)

Importantly you need an older machine or OS X version
My 2011 mini is capable of running Mavericks so it works on that. 2012 Minis will also run Mavericks, no problem. They have gotten super cheap on Ebay.com. You can find either model now for $80 or less there.

Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 6.50.10 AM.png

My 2011 mini is running HS and the download works. See proof in previous post.

I'm not doubting what you say, just pointing-out what happens here as I try to follow suit - also from High Sierra.

Perhaps it points to some other issue not yet covered, that the OP is having?

Importantly you need an older machine or OS X version
My 2011 mini is capable of running Mavericks so it works on that.
here as I try to follow suit - also from High Sierra.
The OS version needs to be Lion through High Sierra to have the older MAS version for the download. It appears the hardware must be Haswell based or older to allow the Mavericks download. Not sure why Apple does this or doesn't simply make the Mavericks download link available on the internet. Would make things so much easier.

Here is the Mavericks installer in my Applications folder. Worked without issue.

Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 7.10.47 AM.png

My 2011 mini is capable of running Mavericks so it works on that.

The OS version needs to be Lion through High Sierra to have the older MAS version for the download. It appears the hardware must be Haswell based or older to allow the Mavericks download. Not sure why Apple does this or doesn't simply make the Mavericks download link available on the internet. Would make things so much easier.

Then as the OP has a Z87 he should be fine.

Ah, but they borrowing someone else's Mac to download on ... Was that a Broadwell?

Then as the OP has a Z87 he should be fine.
Yes, their Z87 system had been running Mavericks for years but now it's not bootable. That's why a new download of Mavericks is required for the re-install. I always save my OS X USB installers after I make them. To be extra safe, I zip up the installer app and save it on a backup HDD for safe keeping. If it's not in two or more places, it's not backed up properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back