Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> OS X Mavericks download - Where to find it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z87X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
GTX-770
Hi,
I'm trying to revive my hackintosh and need to recreate a bootable usb for Mavericks to reinstall my os as I originally did years ago. However Mavericks is not listed in my App Store download history as I used someone else’s computer to do it, so I can’t redownload it.
Can anyone point me to a trusted source to download 10.9 Mavericks?

Thanks,
Bob

Apple has not made it available for download anywhere other than the Mac App Store. Contact the person on who's Mac you used originally to download it. Downloading Mavericks from other sites than Apple's Official servers is considered software piracy here and will lead to a lifetime ban. Important to know that before you proceed.

Screen Shot 10.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you I will try that route. I have no intentions of illegally downloading.
If that fails, is my only option to find someone still using 10.8 or older to download from?

Thanks,
Bob

is my only option to find someone still using 10.8 or older to download from?
It doesn't matter which OS version they are running as long as it is High Sierra or older. Oldest OS X that has the App Store is 10.6.8 but it doesn't always work correctly. Mojave or newer won't work either.

What matters most is that they have downloaded it previously from Apple and it shows up under the Purchased tab in the Mac App Store. Mavericks was free to download back in 2013/14. After the next version, Yosemite came out, it got pulled from the MAS.

Last edited:
Trs96,
I found the person (my daughter) who originally downloaded Mavericks for me back in January 2014, it appears in her purchase history. However I don’t see any link or path to redownload it from the iTunes purchase history window. Any ideas how to proceed?

Thanks,
BobG

However I don’t see any link or path to redownload it from the iTunes purchase history window. Any ideas how to proceed?
This is how it looks in my MAS. Should be a download button next to it. What version of macOS is her Mac running ? If it's Mavericks or newer, you'll need to create a partition and install Mt. Lion through HS to it. Then you should see the Mavericks download link under Purchased tab.

Screen Shot 12.jpg

She also must be signed in with the same AppleID that was originally used.

Last edited:
I guess this is a potential piracy issue because since Mavericks the installers have been free, whereas earlier we paid for them? I can see Lion, Mountain Lion and Mavericks in my own App Store list, whereas the later OS's were free upgrades. (If memory serves).

Last edited:
Mavericks in my own App Store list, whereas the later OS's were free upgrades. (If memory serves).
Mavs was the first free version of OS X in 2013. All after that were free. Once they quit the Big Cat names.

Here's what I found on MacWorld's site about the older OS X installers.

Download Mac OS X​

If you have access to a Mac running OS X Yosemite or older it is possible to see old versions of Mac OS X in the Mac App Store. Yosemite, Mavericks and Mountain Lion can all be seen there.

It’s worth noting that you’ll only see old versions of Mac OS X that you’ve downloaded under Purchased – if you never downloaded it (or if it was never on the Mac App Store), that version will not be in your Purchased section.

Last edited:
This is how it looks in my MAS. Should be a download button next to it. What version of macOS is her Mac running ?

View attachment 551199

She also must be signed in with the same AppleID that was originally used.
Trs96,
Her laptop is running Catalina 10.15.7 and yes I’m signed in iTunes under her original Apple ID and password. No download button visible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back