Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> OS X Mavericks download - Where to find it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you sign into the MAS and find the downloads of OS X on a Yosemite based Mac or Hack you own ?

Not currently, no.

Have I missed the point? (Let me down gently!)

Not currently, no.

Have I missed the point? (Let me down gently!)
Maybe it's simply that they've set some random policy ? I have no idea why Apple makes things so complicated. They're almost becoming (dare I say it) more Microsoft like. :confused:

Not currently, no.
Here's what I know for certain to sum all this up. Relevant to what the OP is asking for help with.

If you have a Mac or Hack running Mavericks you can definitely download it again on that or another Mac running Mavericks. If you sign in with the same Apple ID used in 2013/14 to originally download that OS, it will be available under the purchased tab in the MAS.

I've not tested older OS X versions, but it should also definitely work with any Mac running Lion and Mt. Lion as well.

Last edited:
to sum all this up.

Of course. Sorry. To support your contention I just loaded up the App Store on my hack and checked what I had. That's when I noticed the oddities.

** The actual crux of the problem is that although I can see those OS X installers in my App Store, I am unable to download them because my current system is too modern. So they don't appear of much use there, unless, as you say, I view my "purchases" from a suitably old Mac system-definition.

My ramblings don't help the OP. So my apologies for butting in.

Apple does what it likes these days, sense or no sense.

Last edited:
Good catch. I couldn't find that one.
** The actual crux of the problem is that although I can see those OS X installers in my App Store, I am unable to download them because my current system is too modern. So they don't appear of much use there, unless, as you say, I view my "purchases" from a suitably old Mac system-definition.
This was helpful and relevant to the OPs problem. Bob can certainly download Mt. Lion from this link on any Mac, no matter how new it is and make a USB installer with it and install Mt. Lion to any Hackintosh, that is old enough to run it. Then he can sign in to the MAS and download Mavericks under the purchased tab. End of problem.

I'm sure that some people looking for Mavericks in the future will find this thread helpful.

I just downloaded Mt. Lion on my mini running Catalina and it works, I can make a USB installer with it. Super easy with Unibeast https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/unibeast-5-2-0-lion-mountain-lion-mavericks-and-yosemite.260/

If creating the Mt. Lion installer for use on a real Mac an app like Disk Maker X can be used instead.

Not sure why Apple doesn't make Mavericks available like this at an apple.com download page such as the Mt. Lion one.

Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 4.31.23 PM.png

Last edited:
Hi TRS,
I am attempting to create a bootable usb with the Mountain Lion installer above as you suggested using a new MacBook Pro running Monterey 12.3. Im trying to follow the instructions in the 10.8 installation guide but I’m running into a problem trying to create a Master Boot Record usb with a single partition. After I erase usb using Disk Utility and select MBR as scheme, the tab for Partition is grayed out and can’t be selected. I’ve tried changing view from Show only volumes to Show all devices but still can’t select partition.
What am I doing wrong here?
Thanks,
Bob

What am I doing wrong here?
I doubt that you'll be able to install Mt. Lion to your Haswell system. Do you have anything a few years older that you can use ? Haswell support starts with Mavericks. You can't run older OS X versions on it. If you can find an Ivy Bridge (2012) or older PC or Mac that will work for sure. Here's Apple's official requirements. https://support.apple.com/kb/sp654?locale=en_US

Last edited:
Thanks for your response.
I have a friend that has an old MacBook running Lion on it. We can’t download Mavericks to it because the Safari browser is out of date and it won’t let us update it. Any thoughts on updating Safari? Do these Mac OS installer links absolutely require the use of Safari?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back