Contribute
Register

Mavericks Hackintosh Freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may have solved my problem. The 'IGPEnabler' defaults to 'No' in MultiBeast 7.02, which seems right, but when I set it to yes, the freezes stopped. I thought that flag was for the onboard HD3000 graphics. I guess not.

-Dave

Hey, just chiming in here with what my situation was, and what fixed it for me:

I was experiencing very very very frequent freezing (every 30 minutes to an hour) with my GA-H87M-HD3. 8 GB of ram, i5-4460 processor with native graphics.
I'm not sure which of these steps were necessary, but I made a bunch of changes to my ram and kept having freezes. Since the last step, I haven't had a freeze yet, and its been about 8 hours. So at the very least, stability is improving. Here's what I did:
• Upgraded the BIOS to F8 (F9 was available but the release notes only mentioned improved support for K processors, something I don't have)
• Upped my RAM voltage from 1.5 to 1.6 (in DRAM settings)
• Set my timing to what was recommended by the manufacturer (in this case 9 9 9 24)
• Lowered my speed from 1600 to 1333.

It wasn't 'til I lowered my speeds that my stability improved. So, maybe try that one first?

Hope this is helpful to someone, and hopefully my system stays stable.

you saved my entire weekend!

• Upped my RAM voltage from 1.5 to 1.6 (in DRAM settings)
  • Lowered my speed from 1600 to 1333.
These two settings freed me from the pain of freeze!

I spent whole two days without any freeze. I just thank you very much.

OS X 10.9.5
Intel i7-4790K
Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5
G.Skill 2x8GB DDR3 RAM
ASUS 2GB GT 740 or MSI 2GB GT 640 GPU
SANDISK 240GB SSD Plus boot drive

I think I may have solved my issues with freezing. At first it was random. I would be editing in Final Cut Pro X or testing a movie in QuickTime and it would freeze and sometimes it would run without issues. But then after startup it would just freeze about 2 or 3 minutes in. I haven't read this entire thread but looking through the first few pages I just about tried all the suggestions with no success. The only thing I updated recently in the OS is Nvidia's CUDA update. So I wondered if it was maybe the graphics card but then I replaced the GT 740 with an older GT 640 but it would still freeze. Since the GT 740 is on the recommended list in the buyers guide I have my settings set to GraphicsEnabler=No. I thought about trying it at Yes but instead installed the latest Mavericks driver from NVidia in safe mode. After restarting I quickly selected the Nvidia driver instead of Apple driver and restarted again. It's been working fine ever since.

Now this may not work for everyone but maybe worth a try.

I had the same issue for nearly a year. I updated my GB bios to F5 and now it runs crash free now.

Just adding to the known information.

I have the same issue with my GA-Z87X-UD3H hack, freezing randomly and becoming completely unresponsive unless force rebooted. The screen seems to freeze, but the computer continues to run, fans and everything.

I seem to notice the problem more when using audio and USB, and sometimes on reboot I get a kernel panic. Unplugging the USB drive generally works in this case. The kernel panic does not seem to have a specific issue with any kext though. Using Chimera 2.2.1 seems to have lessened the freezes from 3.0, but they still occur. I have monitored temperatures, but nothing seems to be too out of hand (at medium stress the system runs at 55C).

Reinstalling the os has not worked, and the issue comes up in all the current versions of mavericks. I have tried bumping the memory voltage as well, with no success. Updating to the latest bios (F9) has been a bit of a challenge though, as was not able to use Q-Flash as I did with previous updates.

This issue was really bad with Chimera 3.0, and it interfered with my schoolwork, much of which has to do with movie/film making since I am taking a video production class. Chimera 2.2.1 is better, but the issue is still an annoyance. If this info sparks anyone's creative mind, please reply with any ideas, and I would be happy to test them out.

devdev001

Edit 1: Seems like it was GenericUSBXHCI.kext... got rid of it, usb 3.0 works and no freezes so far. I don't know why it would be this as I had no issues under 10.8.5, 10.9, or 10.9.1, but then started under 10.9.2 and even on rollback are not fixed.

I'm on a Z97X-UD3H-BK. I've just had TWO freezes recently and both when I've duplicated the steps;

Run VLC > play MP4 movie > Enlarge to Full Screen > Disconnect USB Mouse

Moments later, the screen freezes.

If I restart the comp, and leave the mouse in, it runs fine. (i wanted to play a movie in the background while doing some stuff on my work laptop but WITH the mouse).

I have gotten a popup a few times about GenericUSBXHCI, something about the installation (cant remember). I suspect it's giving me some issues.

Is removing it simply done by taking the KEXT file out of the System > Library > Extensions Folder?
Or is there some other method for doing this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back