Contribute
Register

Mavericks Hackintosh Freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though the problem can affect both OSes, I've switched to Clover when I upgraded to Yosemite and I haven't had a freeze since then. It's been almost a week with no issue.

Is Clover worth switching to? Clover is simply a boot loader, right?
Many people say this causes from memory incompatibility or low voltage supply or something like that.

By the way, my board is GA-Z87X-UD3H (BIOS: Rev9) and could not find where to change my memory voltage.
Anybody knows? Thanks.

Clover solved the freezes for me as well without messing around with voltages.

I have the same board and it's been fine with Yosemite. I still haven't been able to get iMessage working, but that failed under Chameleon/Chimera too. It was a little bit of a pain to set up, and some things that were easy (boot resolution for example) are more complicated. But the core of it was tons easier once the majority of it was set up.

I have the same board and it's been fine with Yosemite. I still haven't been able to get iMessage working, but that failed under Chameleon/Chimera too. It was a little bit of a pain to set up, and some things that were easy (boot resolution for example) are more complicated. But the core of it was tons easier once the majority of it was set up.

Really? You have GA-Z87X-UD3H too? That's amazing! I'll definitely try Clover this weekend!
Could you tell me where did you refer to? I'm gonna take a look at the link below.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/144426-how-install-os-x-yosemite-using-clover.html

If you know any additional information, any small help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Really? You have GA-Z87X-UD3H too? That's amazing! I'll definitely try Clover this weekend!
Could you tell me where did you refer to? I'm gonna take a look at the link below.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/144426-how-install-os-x-yosemite-using-clover.html

If you know any additional information, any small help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Shoot, I misread earlier. I must be dyslexic. I have the micro ATX version. GA-Z87MX-D3H. I still had the same issue and clover fixed it though. So I'd still bet that it'd help you.

We basically cloned my drive, installed Clover onto the clone, and after screwing around a bit, we got it to work. I tried so many things that I couldn't tell you the exact route. Sorry!

I have the Z87MX-D3H as well (and have been freezing in Mavericks randomly).

Can you tell me what boxes you ticked in clover setup? What Bios version are you on? Did you install over your existing Mavericks, or did you do a clean install of Yosemite?

Also are you running an overclock? If so what GHz? What is your RAM? (slots taken, amount, brand), and what Memory Profile are you usingin Bios?

Reason I'm asking is because I want to copy you :p This freezing has caused me to stick to my windows drive exclusively for the last few months, and if I could fix OS X to be fully stable I'd be one happy camper!

I have the Z87MX-D3H as well (and have been freezing in Mavericks randomly).

Can you tell me what boxes you ticked in clover setup? What Bios version are you on? Did you install over your existing Mavericks, or did you do a clean install of Yosemite?

Also are you running an overclock? If so what GHz? What is your RAM? (slots taken, amount, brand), and what Memory Profile are you usingin Bios?

Reason I'm asking is because I want to copy you :p This freezing has caused me to stick to my windows drive exclusively for the last few months, and if I could fix OS X to be fully stable I'd be one happy camper!

I'm not at the machine at the moment, so I can't tell you everything. But I am running Corsair Vengeance 8GB sticks in all four slots with no change in any voltages for anything from stock. I am running OC'd to 4.3GHz on 4770k. It was happening in Mavericks and Chimera OC and non-OC.

I cloned my drive and installed Yosemite over the Mavericks install on the new drive. And I'm using r2953 of Clover because 2999 didn't boot for me or my office mate.

I haven't updated the bios on the board, so it's as shipped but that can vary depending on purchase date.

Good luck! That bug was frustrating as hell.

Hi,

Only my UI freezes. The programs appear to run, mouse pointer continues to work, but the clicks don't appear to do anything. Very rarely I can close a window with the keyboard.

GA-H61N-USB3
i7-2600K @ 3.4GHz
16GB RAM (1600MHz) @1333MHz
EVGA GTS-450 Video
Logitech wireless USB Keyboard and Mouse
Running OS X Mavericks, Cent OS 6.6, Windows 7 Ultimate

Guess which one freezes. No 3rd party USB kexts. I'm going to try a PS/2 keyboard and see if/how that works.

-Dave

Last edited:
Well,

From another thread, the nVidia card may be the problem. I have a GTS-450. This is the last entry in the system log file before every reboot:

11/23/14 6:35:07.000 AM kernel[0]: NVDA(Private): Channel timeout!
11/23/14 6:35:08.773 AM com.apple.launchd[1]: (com.apple.DumpGPURestart) Throttling respawn: Will start in 9 seconds

I'm not sure what to do about it, but I may need to ditch the video card in favor of the built in HD3000.

-Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back