Contribute
Register

Mavericks Hackintosh Freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone I have the same problem what did everyone end up doing?
btw I only have 16gb of ram

What's the brand of your ram? Haswell processors are temperamental and it seems they only play well with Haswell approved memory. I'm getting new memory tomorrow and I'll be able to tell for sure if that cures my problem.

I didn't but I did get Haswell approved RAM and it was listed on a pdf on the Intel website for my CPU and mobo as a tested combination (at 16GB) so I went and bought it. I didn't work at all.
I realized then that it's a problem of my mobo not pumping enough power to the 4 dimms so I went ahead and raised the IO Analogue, IO Digital and System Agent voltage, all three by +0,100v. That I did for my old memory and the new memory and it worked!! tomorrow is going to be 1 week without freezes.

I didn't but I did get Haswell approved RAM and it was listed on a pdf on the Intel website for my CPU and mobo as a tested combination (at 16GB) so I went and bought it. I didn't work at all.
I realized then that it's a problem of my mobo not pumping enough power to the 4 dimms so I went ahead and raised the IO Analogue, IO Digital and System Agent voltage, all three by +0,100v. That I did for my old memory and the new memory and it worked!! tomorrow is going to be 1 week without freezes.

Great! Good to know. Thanks for share it.

Usually, before doing on my own, I prefer looking at already successful builds. That's why I succeeded building three different types that are still working today. Just the first one build drove me mad, it was just a matter of motherboard release. Components were the same, but just the motherboard was more recent. This created an endless list of issues that I solved after endless endeavors, trials and errors.
For this reason, before starting a new build I thoroughly check everything in order not to be stopped in the mid.

I'm also having freezing issues, and now I'm wondering if it's because I got a rev 2 version of the GA-Z87N-WIFI mini ITX board. It's gotten to the point where it freezes every five minutes or so now. I can't get any work done, and this is my main work machine.

Also, when transferring large amounts of data over GigE, the ethernet controller chokes, and I lose all internet/network connectivity. I have to reboot to get network back.

I've just updated to BIOS F6b, so hopefully this will be a step in the right direction...

My freeze happened while I'm using USB to file transfer right now I'm not file transfering and no freeze :) . Does this mean my problem with usbs right ?

I'm using GA-Z87X-OC with 16GB Kingston RAM

Sounds similar to my issue. I especially notice that it freezes when I'm in the middle of something where I'm zipping the mouse around a bit. I have a SteelSeries WoW wireless gaming mouse, and it's a pretty high refresh rate. You may be on to something.

Running an i5-4690K with a Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7 board and 16GB of G.skill RAM.

Hey, just chiming in here with what my situation was, and what fixed it for me:

I was experiencing very very very frequent freezing (every 30 minutes to an hour) with my GA-H87M-HD3. 8 GB of ram, i5-4460 processor with native graphics.
I'm not sure which of these steps were necessary, but I made a bunch of changes to my ram and kept having freezes. Since the last step, I haven't had a freeze yet, and its been about 8 hours. So at the very least, stability is improving. Here's what I did:
• Upgraded the BIOS to F8 (F9 was available but the release notes only mentioned improved support for K processors, something I don't have)
• Upped my RAM voltage from 1.5 to 1.6 (in DRAM settings)
• Set my timing to what was recommended by the manufacturer (in this case 9 9 9 24)
• Lowered my speed from 1600 to 1333.

It wasn't 'til I lowered my speeds that my stability improved. So, maybe try that one first?

Hope this is helpful to someone, and hopefully my system stays stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back