Contribute
Register

Lenovo G500 10.9.1: Almost done, just a little bit of help needed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your config.plist is corrupt. This part is not valid:
Code:
        <key>DSDT</key>
        <key>Name</key>
        <string>DSDT.aml</string>

Never edit a plist with a text editor and you won't have such issues...

Also,

Please provide complete details in your profile/signature
(Profile/Settings link in upper right corner of this site)

System: manufacturer/model + bootloader(Clover/Chameleon/Chimera)
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
System: HP ProBook 4540s (Clover)
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx), and graphics capabilities. For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

Done. I've edited my profile and my signature. Also it's added a build for me and I can't see a way to remove it.

Yes, same for me. That part of the site is extremely buggy.

Thanks for the help so far. I've made those plist correction (boot flags, random XML tag). And still can't get the OSX install to boot, verbose or otherwise. Do you think I'd be better off trying a Clover USB install?

Thanks for the help so far. I've made those plist correction (boot flags, random XML tag). And still can't get the OSX install to boot, verbose or otherwise. Do you think I'd be better off trying a Clover USB install?

Boot verbose, upload photo. Post EFI/Clover folder.

Aren't you already doing a "Clover USB" install?

Boot verbose, upload photo. Post EFI/Clover folder.

Aren't you already doing a "Clover USB" install?

No - I am installing via the vanilla App Store method. I realized that I hadn't moved my kexts over to the 10.10 folder, which I've done, and also moved FakeSMC to S/L/E (although I don't think the installer would check for it on my Mavericks partition?). I got the installer to boot once, and the progress bar went one third of the way, then the apple and progess bar teared across the screen horizontally, and the beachball appeared in the top left. It stayed that way for 15+ minutes, so I rebooted. I haven't been able to get the installer to boot again yet.

No - I am installing via the vanilla App Store method.

Clover guide is "vanilla App Store method".

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...oting-os-x-installer-laptops-clover-uefi.html

I realized that I hadn't moved my kexts over to the 10.10 folder, which I've done, and also moved FakeSMC to S/L/E (although I don't think the installer would check for it on my Mavericks partition?). I got the installer to boot once, and the progress bar went one third of the way, then the apple and progess bar teared across the screen horizontally, and the beachball appeared in the top left. It stayed that way for 15+ minutes, so I rebooted. I haven't been able to get the installer to boot again yet.

Post EFI/Clover folder you're using.

Clover guide is "vanilla App Store method".

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...oting-os-x-installer-laptops-clover-uefi.html

Post EFI/Clover folder you're using.

Hello RehabMan,

Thanks for all the tireless help so far, I appreciate it.

I followed your guide for creating a Yosemite USB installer, went well, and I can now boot into a clean installation of Yosemite. I initially had issues with my Intel HD 4000 Graphics tearing and screen distortion, but after reading a comment thread on this Youtube video (see here) the fix for this appears to be to flash a BIOS that will give you unlocked options, and increasing the default memory for graphics. I needed to use a whitelisted BIOS anyway for my BCM BT+Wifi Card (w/ ToledaARPT.kext), so that killed two birds with one stone for me.

Now that all that's done, I was planning on migrating my Applications and Documents over from Mavericks. However, on my first OS X install attempt, after I ran Migration on that old Mavericks install Yosemite wouldn't boot (the progress bar stopped halfway if I verbose booted, 2/3rds of the way if I just booted). From other threads I've read where people have had issues with Migration this appears to work for Applications but I wanted to know what thoughts you had, if any.

I haven't tested out re-adding all of the kexts from this thread's tutorial for the G500, config.plist tweaks, or DDST yet, so no idea if there's any issues with those.

Hello RehabMan,

Thanks for all the tireless help so far, I appreciate it.

I followed your guide for creating a Yosemite USB installer, went well, and I can now boot into a clean installation of Yosemite. I initially had issues with my Intel HD 4000 Graphics tearing and screen distortion, but after reading a comment thread on this Youtube video (see here) the fix for this appears to be to flash a BIOS that will give you unlocked options, and increasing the default memory for graphics. I needed to use a whitelisted BIOS anyway for my BCM BT+Wifi Card (w/ ToledaARPT.kext), so that killed two birds with one stone for me.

Now that all that's done, I was planning on migrating my Applications and Documents over from Mavericks. However, on my first OS X install attempt, after I ran Migration on that old Mavericks install Yosemite wouldn't boot (the progress bar stopped halfway if I verbose booted, 2/3rds of the way if I just booted). From other threads I've read where people have had issues with Migration this appears to work for Applications but I wanted to know what thoughts you had, if any.

I haven't tested out re-adding all of the kexts from this thread's tutorial for the G500, config.plist tweaks, or DDST yet, so no idea if there's any issues with those.

I wouldn't bother with "magic migration" tools. I'd do everything manually..

I wouldn't bother with "magic migration" tools. I'd do everything manually..

When you say manually, how would you also move App data and preferences as well? The tools in that article aren't necessarily magic migration tools as much as they're intended to be uninstallers, and find wherever an application has stored preferences/etc.

Also, I wanted to ask you a question about kext management:

You should install all kexts you need (including FakeSMC, VoodooPS2Controller, etc) to /System/Library/Extensions (/S/L/E) using a kext installer (such as Kext Wizard).

Of course, essential kexts should be installed to EFI/Clover/kexts/Other as they are needed to boot the installer (during updates) or the recovery partition.

So if the kexts FakeSMC, VoodooPS2Controller, etc., are 'essential' kexts (meaning they are needed to get OS X to boot and be usable) do you suggest they go in both Other & S/L/E (which I'm thinking would get them loaded twice), or just Other?

When you say manually, how would you also move App data and preferences as well? The tools in that article aren't necessarily magic migration tools as much as they're intended to be uninstallers, and find wherever an application has stored preferences/etc.

Set it/move it manually... At least that's what I would do.

So if the kexts FakeSMC, VoodooPS2Controller, etc., are 'essential' kexts (meaning they are needed to get OS X to boot and be usable) do you suggest they go in both Other & S/L/E (which I'm thinking would get them loaded twice), or just Other?

They would go in both. They won't get loaded twice with config.plist/SystemParameters/InjectKexts=Detect, since Detect causes injection to only be done if FakeSMC is not in /S/L/E at the boot target (so injection is done only for installer and recovery).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back