CPU
i5-2400
Graphics
HD 7770
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have Radeon HD 7770 on Monterey, but the video speed is definitely slow and it feels while working in the browsers on various sites, including Gmail. For comparison, I installed Windows on a separate disk and saw that Gmail behaves completely without any lag, unlike macOS.

Is there anything that I can check or change in the OpenCore/Clover settings, the problem persists while booting from both of them. Also, sometimes, just before playing a video, there are short artifacts in the form of a red piece of the image for about 0.5 seconds.

[OpenCore]
Boot args: debug=0x100 swd_panic=1 radpg=15 -raddvi darkwake=0 -no_compat_check
SMBIOS: iMac Pro 1,1 (not sure if its appropriate in my case)
kexts.png

Thanks for you help.

Last edited:
The Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition was a mid-range graphics card by AMD, launched on February 15th, 2012. Built on the 28 nm process, and based on the Cape Verde graphics processor.

That card is now 11 years old. Not surprising it's laggy with Monterey. When you combine that with Ivy bridge using a 11 year old i5-2400 I wouldn't expect good performance. There are much faster used and new RX460s and 560s on Ebay at very low prices.

Not to expect good performance from what? You mean not to expect to scroll without lags on a single page like gmail with this card? It's nonsense! I would understand if the case were about lags appearing while working on a video inside a Final Cut Pro. But I'm talking about simple webpage.
What is so special in macOS that is not in Windows 11 that requires to display of websites without lagging? ‍♂️ "Brand new macOS"? Just super brand new that a simple web interface is lagging on a card that is definitely capable of handling such a primitive load. The same card works on Windows without issues. Is this the reality of modern Apple policy?
This card is listed in dortania.github.io as compatible with Monterey, more than that it's pretty quiet. And I very rarely need to utilize graphics that require a more powerful card.
Actually, before that one, I used GTX 260 with 512 RAM without any issues on High Sierra. Sorry, but I can't believe Apple increase the requirements for video cards to be able to open Gmail on macOS ONLY with video cards that are at least a few years old, AND NOT OLDER - this is total bullsh*t. If it wouldn't a compatible card, maybe it would be fine to just say "hey, it's not compatible with Monterey", but what you're saying literally means "hey man, buy a new mac please to work with your gmail".
I don't mind to buy another quiet card, if there is no other way to make it work without lags. But it will take time to configure another card, as it took to run this one, and I'm not so good at this to spend much time on this. If I had enough money I would have a modern Mac long ago, bro.

Not to expect good performance from what? You mean not to expect to scroll without lags on a single page like gmail with this card? It's nonsense! I would understand if the case were about lags appearing while working on a video inside a Final Cut Pro. But I'm talking about simple webpage.
What is so special in macOS that is not in Windows 11 that requires to display of websites without lagging? ‍♂️ "Brand new macOS"? Just super brand new that a simple web interface is lagging on a card that is definitely capable of handling such a primitive load. The same card works on Windows without issues. Is this the reality of modern Apple policy?
This card is listed in dortania.github.io as compatible with Monterey, more than that it's pretty quiet. And I very rarely need to utilize graphics that require a more powerful card.
Actually, before that one, I used GTX 260 with 512 RAM without any issues on High Sierra. Sorry, but I can't believe Apple increase the requirements for video cards to be able to open Gmail on macOS ONLY with video cards that are at least a few years old, AND NOT OLDER - this is total bullsh*t. If it wouldn't a compatible card, maybe it would be fine to just say "hey, it's not compatible with Monterey", but what you're saying literally means "hey man, buy a new mac please to work with your gmail".
I don't mind to buy another quiet card, if there is no other way to make it work without lags. But it will take time to configure another card, as it took to run this one, and I'm not so good at this to spend much time on this. If I had enough money I would have a modern Mac long ago, bro.

Hi there.

There is no need to be offensive and rude.

We try to help if we can. All that has been said is that Monterey and an 11-year-old GPU may suffer from non-optimised drivers. Yes, High Sierra - from 6-years ago - might be fine. Monterey might have issues.

If your GPU works fine with Windows but not macOS then the hardware is okay but the drivers are not. Apple does deprecate support for old kit - as they did in Monterey for existing Nvidia native cards.

Also remember that bluetooth support can affect hardware scrolling. Are you using a BT mouse?

:)

I'm sorry if I seemed rude. It's just a shame that on some forums, someone can offer to help you in a personal message and advise a video card, HD 7770, to upgrade to Monterey, then offer a service with the configuration, but as a result, it turns out that you were advised not exactly what you need and you will have to find the right person again, who he will advise something that will not lag and will help in setting up in good faith. When I provide services, I am usually 1000% sure that they are provided in the most appropriate way, but someone takes an advance payment and sneezes at the result that will eventually turn out to be. I'm sorry, just a sore point.

Is Radeon Pro W5500 a good choice for me if I don't want to dance with the tambourine the rest of my life to make it work fully on Monterey with OpenCore or Clover? Or is there something easier at the same price that can be run out of the box with the minimum adjustment?

Thanks for your help

I don't want to dance with the tambourine the rest of my life

Why not? Sounds like a plan! :thumbup:

The Radeon Pro W5500 is a rough equivalent of the RX 5500XT (Navi 14) . Support is possible but not fully guaranteed. In Monterey you would just add the "agdpmod=pikera" boot argument. An RX 580 is about the same power and fully supported in macOS so far. Easy to find as second-user, but watch out for ex-mining cards. If you wish to be more modern, and buy new, then the RX 6600 is probably the nearest. Then the RX 6800. Don't consider the in-between models, they have no support.

We don't offer Private Messaging for support as the whole idea of the web-site is that others can see the problem you are having and understand the solution, if one is found. There are no configuration services or paid-for options either. We do everything for free.

How about RX 570? I've seen posts here that it also works. With HD 7770 I can run my hack with its native fans off having almost silent Zalman fan to cool the card nearby. But what about W5500 or RX 570, will it be possible to connect a fan regulator to minimise the fan noise since I almost never use a video card for hard tasks, but very often need silence? Thanks.

How about RX 570? ... will it be possible to connect a fan regulator to minimise the fan noise since I almost never use a video card for hard tasks, but very often need silence? Thanks.

That might depend on your motherboard and BIOS. Let me explain ...

An RX 570 has the "0db" fan option too. The temperature curve is usually set to 55-degrees-C. Lower than that the fan is Off. Above and the fan kicks-in and speed varies with the cooling needs.

As your Z77 motherboard is quite old it may - or may not - have SmartFan which allows the BIOS to control motherboard fans, or turn the option off completely. However this is separate from the RX 570 VBIOS fan control, and would affect using a Zalman fan controller for fan speeds.

Usually the combination of both BIOSs being in control means you should not need an extra fan-controller. YMMV.

I see. I prefer to hear a constant level of quiet noise rather than curves, so if my quiet Zalman will be capable of cooling the new card I would be glad to turn off the native fans and watch closely the thermal indicator in the system and set the threshold which will trigger some action to let me know that the card is hot. If this is not a good idea with a card like RX 570 I will thing about moving the whole PC case into the utility room and will run all the wires, so I won't hear the fancs, but will have all the stuff to connect the devices. It will also cost me something for long wires, but I guess there is no other method of getting rid of the fan noise, right?

installed RX 570 8Gb, the same problem, smbios is set to imac pro 1,1, i guess this is somehow related to the problem, or the problem is caused by i5-2400, i don't know. But googling shows there are other people who faced the same problem with the same smbios and Intel cpu after updating to Monterey.

Back