Contribute
Register

Intel Turbo Boost Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is something you should definitely fix. No chance of native PM working with NullCPU.

For full checklist, see guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...01-guide-native-power-management-laptops.html
Okay thanks. I'll read up.

P.S - That's a great post. I think I might be able to do it without asking 45 million questions like I always do.

UPDATE: Okay, so I simply removed NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in S/L/E and rebooted and now my CPU clocks to 3.17GHz while running the "yes" command in Terminal and compressing a large file to ensure the CPU overclocks to full speed.

My question now is, why doesn't it clock fully to 3.4GHz? Is it not supposed to in reality, just like storage media is never as large as what is marketed? I used both iStat Menu's AND HWMonitor in OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 to monitor CPU clock speed.

I'd also like to note that my CPU temp reaches about 92-97 celsius under heavy load, so MAYBE my CPU is throttling to 3.17GHz, but Intel states that the highest temp allowed at the die is 100C I believe, but maybe it will still throttle before that for safety.

Last edited:
I know it's quite a while after the fact and all, but I believe removing NullCPUPowerManagement.kext worked. My CPU only overclocks to 3.2Ghz, but it only goes that high in Windows 7 as well, and I'm sure I have all of the proper drivers installed for my laptop in Windows. So I'm assuming either my CPU is marketed incorrectly or embellished, or possibly it's throttling down to 3.2Ghz, but it's really consistent so it makes me think otherwise on the throttling, but who knows.

Just wanted to announce that it worked so that others with this issue can find my post and get help.

Thanks for the help, RehabMan and anyone else who replied to my post.

I know it's quite a while after the fact and all, but I believe removing NullCPUPowerManagement.kext worked. My CPU only overclocks to 3.2Ghz, but it only goes that high in Windows 7 as well, and I'm sure I have all of the proper drivers installed for my laptop in Windows. So I'm assuming either my CPU is marketed incorrectly or embellished, or possibly it's throttling down to 3.2Ghz, but it's really consistent so it makes me think otherwise on the throttling, but who knows.

Just wanted to announce that it worked so that others with this issue can find my post and get help.

Thanks for the help, RehabMan and anyone else who replied to my post.

Per Intel spec, the top turbo states are available only with a single core active.

Most systems use multiple cores.

Per Intel spec, the top turbo states are available only with a single core active.

Most systems use multiple cores.
Yes I also read or discovered that as well. I found a website that said it's clock speed was 3.4Ghz single core and 3.2Ghz dual-core, so yeah.

Guess it's working correctly. I still got the beach ball issue, btw but oh well. I'll have to re-install sometime.

Well, I removed NullCPU and it did allow my CPU to clock higher, but it gave me temporary freezes with beach ball all of the time and then would come back. So, I decided to re-install NullCPU to see if it fixed the freezing and it seems to have done so.

So, my question is why does it not freeze with NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, but does without?

Obviously, I need to have NullCPU removed and have my CPU clock up properly, but without freezes.

So, my question is why does it not freeze with NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, but does without?

Power management and/or ACPI patching not implemented correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back