Dell Inspiron 3521
CPU
i5-3317U
Graphics
HD7670M, HD 4000
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I want to install Ubuntu with dual boot on my Dell Inspiron 3521 (with MacOS Mojave) but I have questions.

As you might know, Ubuntu has its own bootloader, GRUB and it can be a pain in the... I don't want that to happen and I want to use Clover Bootloader after installing Ubuntu too. What should I do?

I want to install Ubuntu with dual boot on my Dell Inspiron 3521 (with MacOS Mojave) but I have questions.

As you might know, Ubuntu has its own bootloader, GRUB and it can be a pain in the... I don't want that to happen and I want to use Clover Bootloader after installing Ubuntu too. What should I do?

Firstly, please update your Profile with your hardware details. It's a part of the site Rules and allows others to help you. :thumbup:

For what it is worth, on a desktop at least, installing Ubuntu 18 will write to your BIOS and stop macOS booting, giving a drive error. This can be resolved by re-flashing your BIOS but is no fun really.

There is, of course, the chance this might not happen on your laptop but is a possibility.

Just make sure you install it to root or /

Linux has a nasty habit of installing Grub all over the place. Nowadays, I look for a system where I can easily disconnect all hard drives to install on. Then pull the drive and plug it in to the machine I want it on.

If I need to install Linux on a drive that already has macOS (and Clover), I make a backup of my entire EFI folder before I begin the Linux installation. Then restore the /EFI/BOOT/ folder back after the installation is done. This will make Clover load first.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back