Contribute
Register
I
Thanks for the links, I read in depth, it is not for everyone, but being careful you can succeed.
In my case I already have the hotplug working, even if not completely, so I don't run the risk of making these changes, also I would have to spend more money to buy accessories that I would only use once.

I would like to try to bridge the pins 3 and 5 of the THB_C cable, but I'm not sure which pins are right and I have too little information about it.

i guess we value money differently... but still so far only two people have messed up and they both were flashing a designare board. GC-Titian is pretty much fool proof. However, the pins are 3 and 5 the 5 pin is the one closest to the pci-e blade and then count backwards to the three pin. Other have had your same response that I have hot plug many of them have come around to flashing. For me it was a no brainer to flash and stop wasting my time trying to shoe horn a solution when their was an almost native solution that might cost me a few bucks.... Time=Money And one hour of my time is worth more then a raspberry pi cost. My thunderbolt just works when I want to use a device without rebooting or doing strange start the device part way threw booting. Or any other bandaid fixes.

I guess we value money differently... but still so far only two people have messed up and they both were flashing a designare board. GC-Titian is pretty much fool proof. However, the pins are 3 and 5 the 5 pin is the one closest to the pci-e blade and then count backwards to the three pin. Other have had your same response that I have hot plug many of them have come around to flashing. For me it was a no brainer to flash and stop wasting my time trying to shoe horn a solution when their was an almost native solution that might cost me a few bucks.... Time=Money And one hour of my time is worth more then a raspberry pi cost. My thunderbolt just works when I want to use a device without rebooting or doing strange start the device part way threw booting. Or any other bandaid fixes.
Currently, even my Thunderbolt works when I want and without restarting the machine, so in my case the cost to purchase additional components and flash the card is not worth it.
However, I will try to contact Gigabyte as I did in the past to ask if they can implement in the bios the options necessary for the correct functioning of the Thunderbolt with operating systems different from Windows.

Currently, even my Thunderbolt works when I want and without restarting the machine, so in my case the cost to purchase additional components and flash the card is not worth it.
However, I will try to contact Gigabyte as I did in the past to ask if they can implement in the bios the options necessary for the correct functioning of the Thunderbolt with operating systems different from Windows.

Unless you disable the built in connection manager (IMC) on your AIC you are not getting correct functioning of TB3 with different operating systems. You might get hot plug but without TB bus it still only a bandaid. And as you said your dock requires a reboot if you unplug It... that's the kind of finicky behavior I do not want to deal with. I did just notice you are using an Alpine ridge and in my experience with the Alpine ridge it is not as good as Titan because video pass threw does not work correctly on the Alpine. However, everything else works.

@mm2margaret at first was apprehensive to flashing the hardware, but after a few months they are even getting down with the flashing. Maybe @mm2margaret could shed some light as to why the change of heart. They are also using X299.

Last edited:
I did just notice you are using an Alpine ridge and in my experience with the Alpine ridge it is not as good as Titan because video pass threw does not work correctly on the Alpine. However, everything else works.
Previously the Alpine Ridge card was installed on the MB Z370 and with that configuration the hotplug worked in all devices and always. The video output also worked perfectly because one of the monitors was connected to the Dock.

The behavior I have now on the X299 (which does not have the Thunderbolt on Chipset like the Z370) is the same as I had on the Z370 BEFORE Gigabyte released the latest Bios versions, that is, the hotplug do "whims".
I use the Thunderbolt connection to connect UAD audio devices and they currently work perfectly with hotplug trought the Dock. So for in my case it is not worth flashing the card.
If I had real problems or the devices were not working I would certainly consider the option to flash the card.

Currently in the Bios there are very few options for this device and asking to implement others is not a bad idea. In the past it has worked and now many 300 series cards have the hotplug only by using an SSDT.

Hi,
I have a thunderbolt issue.
TB don't work anytime ! At the first boot on the morning (computer was off during night) TB peripherial don't mount and there is no TB info in PCI info section. I must restart computer to made TB work. And if I need to restart during the day TB work twice on three time. If I shut down computer it is same issue.
Do you have an idea ?

I've flashed several AR and TR cards (along with a Z390 GB Xtreme mobo) and have both types working in Z390, X299 and X570 builds. After flashing the trick is getting an SSDT, which usually only requires little effort to adapt from others and get working (except for the TRX40 I'm now working on). The DROM portion is critical for proper functioning.

As for the pins, I showed an image here (see Spoiler), and soldered the pins together so no jumper is needed.

I don't use any TB for video so have no comments to add for that behavior.

Last edited:
Hi,
I have a thunderbolt issue.
TB don't work anytime ! At the first boot on the morning (computer was off during night) TB peripherial don't mount and there is no TB info in PCI info section. I must restart computer to made TB work. And if I need to restart during the day TB work twice on three time. If I shut down computer it is same issue.
Do you have an idea ?

Are you using an SSDT for TB? If not, a good one can help. But some of your symptoms are usual unless you flash modified firmware.

I've flashed several AR and TR cards (along with a Z390 GB Xtreme mobo) and have both types working in Z390, X299 and X570 builds. After flashing the trick is getting an SSDT, which usually only requires little effort to adapt from others and get working (except for the TRX40 I'm now working on). The DROM portion is critical for proper functioning.

As for the pins, I showed an image here (see Spoiler), and soldered the pins together so no jumper is needed.

I don't use any TB for video so have no comments to add for that behavior.

I am not sure what you are trying to tell me, I have used tested every firmware that is in Caseys repository and Have used the DROM guides. As I stated the Titan is better because the video pass threw works correctly while the video on the alpine does not and you have comments on fixing that.

I am not sure what you are trying to tell me, I have used tested every firmware that is in Caseys repository and Have used the DROM guides. As I stated the Titan is better because the video pass threw works correctly while the video on the alpine does not and you have comments on fixing that.

General comments; didn't mean to address to you specifically: post edited.

Are you using an SSDT for TB? If not, a good one can help. But some of your symptoms are usual unless you flash modified firmware.
Hi and thanks for your answer. This symptoms are with or without SSDT

Back