Contribute
Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds to me like system instability. Do you overclock (using ram xmp profiles is technically a overclock)?

Instability can be caused by insufficient voltages or even failing components.

Hey Shilohh,
Thank you for the reply. I don't know what RAM XMP Profiles is. I was trying to run overclocking but this problems were happening before my Overclocking attempts. I just switched back to the default settings of the BIOS.

What should I do to test the components? Literally every element was bought brand new and it's now 3 months old since the time I built it.

Teo

I have made bootable USB with bootcamp assistant, but i cant get to the installer.

Is there a specific way to install Windows if you are using Clover? I can't even get to windows installer usb, and Clover didnt see my Windows 7 drive I have got before jumping form unibeast to Clover. At GUI I can see 3 new boot options after pluggin in windows usb, but only one gets me to little black and white windows logo, and nothing happens.

edit:
got it done using virtual box vm with free IE 10

dual boot works, but it was very complicated :)

Hi!

Today was my 1st try installing OS X Yosemite on almost the same config.

I did exactly what Shilohh did in his tutorial, it's quite amazing what i learned, but i'm having a bunch of question which maybe you can answer to make a cleaner instal tomorrow.

1) ABOUT THE BIOS
it looks like mine ( rampage IV Black Edition ) is the Version 0602, 3 newer version are available.
I didn't upgrade cuz i saw on the web that it can kill the mobo.. ( stop me if i'm wrong, i really discover the land of computer :) )
I thought i could give it a try with this version. it looks like it worked since i almost finished the tutorial ( i stoped after nvidia web driver part).

Shilohh talks about the BIOS for R4E that is needed, but not about a good R4BE's version, does someone know if i have to upgrade to have a better result?

2) FOR THE PART NUMBER "9" of his tutorial => "INSTAL KERNEL EXTENSION"
On his picture i can see there's 5 files, when i downloaded his zip, it had only 3, is it normal?

3) FOR THE 9)B) PART OF HIS TUTORIAL => BLUETOOTH
This is really where the thing is getting harder for me.
On his link, the guy says:

TO INSTALL:
1) Remove any patched kexts (or) Bluetooth enablers installed for Bluetooth and use Apple vanilla Bluetooth kext.

2) Install my kext using your favorite kext installers to /System/Library/Extensions. (Don't install my kext through E/E (or) clover injection).

Do i just have to install his kext (since my system is a fresh new one) or do i have to remove any patched kexts installed for bluetooth even if i didn't installed them.
If yes how could i do that? ( i never went this deep into computers :D )

4) FOR THE 9)d) PART => NVIDIA WEB DRIVER
this is where i stopped...i had the feeling that it didn't worked.

I installed the driver and it asked my system to reboot, i had no choice.
Apparently i shouldn't.
After it did, the mouse button was really slow (it was a bit less before) and my monitor was sometime freezing...
I was wondering if my card ( gtx 780 ) was a gk110b or a gk110...i found out that it is a gk110b, so except the fact that my system rebooted, it should be fine no?
I don't really understand his note about it, is Shilohh saying that we should install this web driver when booting for the usb drive?
I really need a hand on this part, should my graphic card works fine after this step or should i continue with this bad quality?

Like i said, i stopped there, i will need to do the DSDT.aml but since my computer has reboot after the nvidia driver, i don't know if it's good for the system to continue from there ( and the graphic card is not working...)

Thanks for your wise advices folks :D
I let you know if i found interesting stuff!

Hi jaxxx,

I'm about to partake in a similar build as yours with RIVBE and BIOS 0602 as well, but I'll be using a GTX 750ti. I tried it with an updated BIOS to 0702 (I think) but had an issue where I couldn't even get into the BIOS even after trying 3 different CMOS reset methods. I think I know where I messed up first time around.

Anyway, I'll keep you updated on my progress in case someone doesn't respond to you.

I have made bootable USB with bootcamp assistant, but i cant get to the installer.

Is there a specific way to install Windows if you are using Clover? I can't even get to windows installer usb, and Clover didnt see my Windows 7 drive I have got before jumping form unibeast to Clover. At GUI I can see 3 new boot options after pluggin in windows usb, but only one gets me to little black and white windows logo, and nothing happens.

edit:
got it done using virtual box vm with free IE 10

dual boot works, but it was very complicated :)
I think you went about it the wrong way.

It's not a actual mac. It's a pc so you just install windows as UEFI on a second drive and don't use secure boot (keep it set to other os). To boot a usb windows installer, just use f8 and choose the installer. Clover should see and be able to boot any uefi windows install.

If the usb installer was not set up as uefi the bios and clover won't see it as a bootable option because of the way we set it.

Hi!

Today was my 1st try installing OS X Yosemite on almost the same config.

I did exactly what Shilohh did in his tutorial, it's quite amazing what i learned, but i'm having a bunch of question which maybe you can answer to make a cleaner instal tomorrow.

1) ABOUT THE BIOS
it looks like mine ( rampage IV Black Edition ) is the Version 0602, 3 newer version are available.
I didn't upgrade cuz i saw on the web that it can kill the mobo.. ( stop me if i'm wrong, i really discover the land of computer :) )
I thought i could give it a try with this version. it looks like it worked since i almost finished the tutorial ( i stoped after nvidia web driver part).

Shilohh talks about the BIOS for R4E that is needed, but not about a good R4BE's version, does someone know if i have to upgrade to have a better result?

2) FOR THE PART NUMBER "9" of his tutorial => "INSTAL KERNEL EXTENSION"
On his picture i can see there's 5 files, when i downloaded his zip, it had only 3, is it normal?

3) FOR THE 9)B) PART OF HIS TUTORIAL => BLUETOOTH
This is really where the thing is getting harder for me.
On his link, the guy says:

TO INSTALL:
1) Remove any patched kexts (or) Bluetooth enablers installed for Bluetooth and use Apple vanilla Bluetooth kext.

2) Install my kext using your favorite kext installers to /System/Library/Extensions. (Don't install my kext through E/E (or) clover injection).

Do i just have to install his kext (since my system is a fresh new one) or do i have to remove any patched kexts installed for bluetooth even if i didn't installed them.
If yes how could i do that? ( i never went this deep into computers :D )

4) FOR THE 9)d) PART => NVIDIA WEB DRIVER
this is where i stopped...i had the feeling that it didn't worked.

I installed the driver and it asked my system to reboot, i had no choice.
Apparently i shouldn't.
After it did, the mouse button was really slow (it was a bit less before) and my monitor was sometime freezing...
I was wondering if my card ( gtx 780 ) was a gk110b or a gk110...i found out that it is a gk110b, so except the fact that my system rebooted, it should be fine no?
I don't really understand his note about it, is Shilohh saying that we should install this web driver when booting for the usb drive?
I really need a hand on this part, should my graphic card works fine after this step or should i continue with this bad quality?

Like i said, i stopped there, i will need to do the DSDT.aml but since my computer has reboot after the nvidia driver, i don't know if it's good for the system to continue from there ( and the graphic card is not working...)

Thanks for your wise advices folks :D
I let you know if i found interesting stuff!

1) Updating the bios is not really that risky on these asus boards as they have 2 bios chips that are switchable with the touch of a button. You can try a newer bios on chip 2, then just switch back to chip 1 if you have trouble. I do advise recording all your settings in case you lose them. Even if you totally fried 1 of the chips you can get a preflashed replacement chip from asus. They pop out pretty easily.

2) The instructions of the guide have evolved as os x has changed but some of the pics are outdated.

3) The only way you'd have a patched bluetooth Kext would be if you installed one yourself, so no you don't need to remove anything. To remove a kext, you go to the directory that it is installed in (usually /system/library/extensions) and move it to the trash. Then you empty the trash and rebuild your caches with terminal or a utility like kextbeast. Then reboot.

4) Web driver should be used for your card. If you boot from the usb installer's boot loader you will notice poor quality and artifacts because it is set to disable all NVIDIA acceleration. You won't be able to boot from your boot drive's boot loader until the web driver is installed.

Dsdt.aml is installed in your os x boot drives hidden Efi partition at EFI/clover/acpi/patched. There should be no extra folder because we are using clover EFI and NOT chimera or chameleon. Multibeast looks for the extra folder unless you select the efi support option.

@Shilohh

Greetings! I recently got my first installation of Yosemite working from your guide and its amazing! Thanks so much for your work on this guide! I followed your guide 'religiously' and finally got it working, I feel like I have learned a lot doing it! My system is pretty much identical to yours except for the drives I used and the motherboard, I used the R4BE. However... Im getting some weird bugs, and I'm hoping you or someone here can help me out. Below is a screenshot of what I'm getting in my sound output window; AirPlay, and USB, but none of my other outputs!:banghead: Could someone shed some light on this? Also my DVD drive is opening and closing when I log into my account as If I inserted something, yet I cannot view the drive in finder! All the guides I have looked at so far seem to be for Mountain lion, would they work for Yosemite? Another minor issue I have noticed is that FaceTime and iMessage don't work... I've heard of this problem but haven't really looked into fixing it. Since I'm here, do you know of a good way to fix it? Or is it not worth the hassle? Anyhow, great work has been done on this thread! Thanks so much!

Screen Shot 2015-03-13 at 10.18.11 PM.png

Hi Shiloh,

First off, great detailed tutorial! I appreciate you taking the time to write this up.

Anyway, I'm currently at Step 8d (Installing Chameleon Wizard), and I get to the point where I need to input the Ethernet MAC Address, but my build doesn't have a working network to retrieve that data.

Is this necessary at this point or can I continue without it and come back to the config.plist and put that info in once I have my network resolved? Any clue where I went wrong?

Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition

Thanks,
Omar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back