Contribute
Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Installed on top of mavericks. I just tried to create a test user and if I log in as a new user everything shows up as it's supposed to on the desktop so there is obviously something weird with my admin user account? I wonder if it has anything to do with me changing the serial in SMBIOS?

Edit:
I updated the BIOS to the latest version and even though it sounds far fetched, it fixed the problem! :)
I haven't tried if USB 3 works as it should as I have no USB 3 gear to test with. Everything else works like a charm, even sleep is fully working.

Hey guys,
I have the same build as this one described. I have only 1 GTX 770 2GB GPU inside. If I run a 2nd one, will that double the GPU capacity? And is it compatible?

Here is the background to this question: I am experiencing very weird Panic Restarts, as well as lots of Rendering Problems (including refusal to render) when using the latest Adobe CC products (After Effects, Premiere, Speed Grade, Photoshop). I am trying to solve this issue, but I came to a stonewall as there isn't much on the internet about that. I concluded that it may be that the graphics card is not powerful enough, although it wouldn't make sense.

Here are some more detailed problems:
- For no reason when exporting in Media Encoder sometimes the computer will just purely freeze and restart.
- When having several layers of effects on After Effects, the computer doesn't want to use RAM Preview and often times gives me different type of errors (including 2 Fram Preview Error), or Multi-Processing Errors.
- When exporting in After Effects, sometimes for not a specific reason, the software fails the export.
- When exporting in Premiere the same issue - software gives me an error and stops exporting.
- When using Multi-Camera tools in Premiere Pro I often times get glitches and frame jumps backwards and forward on the playback. It doesn't effects the final product but it's really bothering when editing.
- When having layers of effects in Premiere Pro sometimes they don't print the preview the way supposed to.

Here are things I tried:
Getting the latest CUDA/GTX drivers
Getting the latest Yosemite Update
Going through BIOS and changing settings
Going through Adobe and changing settings

I don't know what else to do. Any help would be appreciated as this is critical to my work.

Thank you!
Teo

The build:
I7 4930K
32GB Ram DDR 3 1600
1x GTX770 2GB
Asus Rampage 4 Black Edition

Koteto, I've built a number of these machines (identical builds except 64GB RAM and 4GB 770s) specifically for AE/Nuke/Maya/Arnold/Octane rendering. So let's try to figure this out.

- Have you tried the Web Drivers (not the GTX drivers, but the Quadro OSX drivers that shilohh links in op)?
- The most up-to-date Yosemite could be an issue too, I only say that because all my machines have been Mavericks.
- Which BIOS are you running? (really doubt this has anything to do with this problem)
- Are you using CC 2014 or regular CC?
- Show me exactly what error you get in AE render fail.
- SPECIFICALLY which RAM do you have? These builds essentially only work 100% reliably with Ripjaws X79-certified RAM.
- Generally what did you change your render/output settings to in AE/Premiere?
e 1 more question: How much RAM are you allocating to your Adobe apps?

Hope I can help you after you answer!

Good evening,

First and foremost thank you all for this great thread, Shilohh especially.

I'm trying to install OS X 10.9.4 on this system:
Ramapage IV Formula
I7 4820K
16GB DDR 1600 (Corsair Vengeance)
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

I followed all the directions "religiously".
I got through the Apple logo and into the installer by going into Clover Options and selecting the first option "Add Clover boot Options for all entries".
2015-02-01 17.28.45.jpg2015-02-01 17.29.06.jpg

Unfortunately I have no mouse/trackball (USB or PS2) in the installer.. both work perfectly well in the bios but not in the OS X installer.
I can navigate through the menus using the arrow and Alt keys, and hitting the space bar for selecting options. However, when I'm prompted to select the drive in which to install the OS, I can highlight the drive but I cannot highlight or press the "Next" button.
2015-02-01 17.32.23.jpg2015-02-01 17.33.01.jpg
I'm stuck at this point.

Does anyone have a clue as to how I can overcome this hurdle?

Thank you.

Regards,
Pedro Vouga

Edited: "Add Clover boot Options for all entries"

I wonder if adding PS2_Voodoo.KEXT to my clover boot drive will win me mouse support within the OS X installer and thus allow me to hit that "Next" button.

I wonder if adding PS2_Voodoo.KEXT to my clover boot drive will win me mouse support within the OS X installer and thus allow me to hit that "Next" button.
Try:
Make sure to plug your mouse into a usb 2.0 port. Also try switching USB 2 ports.
Play with all your bios options for usb including full initialization.
Try a different usb mouse.

Note: I have removed the IRQ reservations for ps2 devices and given them to other devices in my Dsdt patch list so you may not get any function from them after patching the dsdt.

Hey guys,
I have the same build as this one described. I have only 1 GTX 770 2GB GPU inside. If I run a 2nd one, will that double the GPU capacity? And is it compatible?

Here is the background to this question: I am experiencing very weird Panic Restarts, as well as lots of Rendering Problems (including refusal to render) when using the latest Adobe CC products (After Effects, Premiere, Speed Grade, Photoshop). I am trying to solve this issue, but I came to a stonewall as there isn't much on the internet about that. I concluded that it may be that the graphics card is not powerful enough, although it wouldn't make sense.

Here are some more detailed problems:
- For no reason when exporting in Media Encoder sometimes the computer will just purely freeze and restart.
- When having several layers of effects on After Effects, the computer doesn't want to use RAM Preview and often times gives me different type of errors (including 2 Fram Preview Error), or Multi-Processing Errors.
- When exporting in After Effects, sometimes for not a specific reason, the software fails the export.
- When exporting in Premiere the same issue - software gives me an error and stops exporting.
- When using Multi-Camera tools in Premiere Pro I often times get glitches and frame jumps backwards and forward on the playback. It doesn't effects the final product but it's really bothering when editing.
- When having layers of effects in Premiere Pro sometimes they don't print the preview the way supposed to.

Here are things I tried:
Getting the latest CUDA/GTX drivers
Getting the latest Yosemite Update
Going through BIOS and changing settings
Going through Adobe and changing settings

I don't know what else to do. Any help would be appreciated as this is critical to my work.

Thank you!
Teo

The build:
I7 4930K
32GB Ram DDR 3 1600
1x GTX770 2GB
Asus Rampage 4 Black Edition

Sounds to me like system instability. Do you overclock (using ram xmp profiles is technically a overclock)?

Instability can be caused by insufficient voltages or even failing components.

This is a conversation between a friend and I through email that I thought might help some people here:

Them:
I’m getting computer freezes requiring power off and CMOS clear all the time after updating to 10.10.2 this week. Any thoughts as to why my Yosemite install is freezing and requiring a reboot all of the sudden -- when it boots up it says "overclocking failed" (even though I'm not running an overlock right now)

A component failing perhaps? The entire MoBo dying or something?
Happening almost every other day randomly now.

Me:
The OC failed message is not as straight forward as it sounds. It happens when the board senses errors related to instability. This can happen if the board isn't sending proper voltages in its automatic setting or if any of the CPU's internal components like the memory controller start to degrade. The danger of overclocking is that you may lower your component's life span by using higher voltages than the ones supplied by the board's safe defaults, and not that your cpu will just fail all of a sudden. Another danger is xmp profiles that often call for higher voltage than necessary so that the manufacturers don't have to RMA your ram if it doesn't run at a given profile. Xmp is a overclock of the ram and the CPU's integrated memory controller.
1) Were you using a XMP profile for your ram?
2) Did you freeze at idle or under load or both?

Them:
XMP = Yes
Freeze under idle (have come back to frozen screensaver as an example)

Me:
If you run Geekbench or prime95, does the system freeze right away?

Them:
Nope. Doesn’t freeze at all on Geekbench - Completes fine and scores about right (20k).
Note: everything is fine seemingly when the BIOS is at totally stock RAM/CPU speeds (which I’m running now)

Me:
So it sounds like the xmp profile (memory overclock) has become unstable. In overclocking or optimized defaults, when a component degrades past a certain point, it will become unstable until you either back off of the frequency or add voltage to get stability back at the same frequency. Adding voltage increases heat and excellerates the degradation and the vicious circle will continue. Backing off of the frequency and dropping voltage to the lowest stable setting will slow the degradation process, possibly giving you many more years of use. Every cpu has different characteristics and some are stronger than others even when they come from the very same batch and manufacturing plant. It sounds like your CPU's memory controller has degraded to the point where it will no longer run your ram at the XMP's frequency and voltage. By turning off the xmp you have lowered the frequency and voltage gaining stability and slowing the degradation. BTW, I've found that I can achieve lower voltages than the safe defaults provide under heavy load even at overclocked frequencies.

Them:
So running the RAM overclocked has done the damage?

Me:
It could be that your cpu was just a weak sample. Don't think of it as damage so much as accelerated normal wear. Whenever I OC ram, I start with the xmp settings shown in the bios and drop the vccsa to the lowest stable voltage by stability testing. The xmp is just a starting point but it becomes a finely tuned manual OC to achieve a balance of performance vs degradation. Sometimes you can use the very same frequency and timings as the xmp profile at a much lower voltage than the profile provides. Sometimes, if you have a cpu with an exceptionally weak memory controller, you won't even be able to use a xmp profile without raising voltages past what the profile calls for.

In most cases, through testing and tuning, you can achieve lower voltages/degradation, even with a overclock, than the optimized defaults.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back