Contribute
Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have any tips and tricks to make this build as quiet as possible so I can record in the same room as the computer?

I used a Thermalright HR-02 Macho CPU cooler and Noiseblocker case fans with a Silverstone FT-03 case. Running silently for me. I'm not even aware of the fans unless I am doing very heavy encoding or benchmarking, and it is still quiet then. Use the 'Silent' fan setting in the ASUS Bios to make sure the fans are running at low speeds.

Quiet or fanless PSU's are a good idea, depending on your budget and power requirements.

The GPU is the other thing to choose carefully if you want a quiet system. I went with a fanless GT610 because I don't do anything GPU intensive. This card runs on very low power and doesn't make too much heat (and no noise). You may want something more powerful if you run games or work with video, but choose carefully to minimise noise.

I chose to only use SSD drives on my machine because the HDD was the noisiest thing left.

Finally, you may want to go for a conservative overclock (or no overclock at all) to keep the heat down and avoid fan noise.

silentpcreview.com is a good resource for finding quiet parts.

Thank you for help and suggestions. Unfortunately, I'm still stuck. Here are my results:

after step 1, this is the screen I get stuck on
photo 1.jpg

after steps 2 and 3, this same screen:
photo 2.jpg

Hey Shilohh,
I'm writing this to give feedback. First of all my build:
CPU= i7-4930k overclocked to 4.4ghz
RAM= 32GB 2133 kingston beast
Motherboard= Asus x79 deluxe
GPU= GTX 780

So I followed This guide. using the same config.plist and steps. of course, I used proper kext for the board, nvidia web drivers, nvda_drv=1 boot flag, and the proper DSDT patch. And I must say it was simple, easy, and quick. I didn't need to think much.

(forgot to add - about this mac - in the first picture, so this happened)

BWaqviH.jpg

What is working :
Everything= Sound, Graphics, Powermanagment, WIFI!, Bluethooth (using the BTFirmwareUploader.kext ), And ehternet.

Where did I face problems:
I actually didn't believe that Shilohh guide will benefit me, due to the different board. Thus, I tried another site's Guide, DSDT, and SSDT. it doesn't work out of the box. You need to edit, and add and do a lot of stuff to get it working. I kept trying for couple of days, got everything working, but graphics just didn't happen.

Nevertheless. Thanks Shilohh for the awesome guide. if you need to get anything tested on my board/gpu to confirm functionality. ill do it.

Attachments

• Final 2.jpg
    Final 2.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 111
@Shilohh
By the way, Pr pro cc 2014 only shows me Mercury playback engine ( openCL ), It won't show up CUDA, what is up with that?

Edit: lol, nvm. I forgot to install the CUDA driver ˆˆ
Edit: Dont judge me.

@shilohh
I'm running and testing my build...i noticed today that wifi card isn't working correctly. Download speed is very very bad. Until yesterday everything worked well. If i try to connect a cable pan speed is ok but with wifi card not....what can it be?

Hi Shilohh,
I’m French, so sorry in advance for my poor English….
I’m video editor and colorist, I’m gonna make my 1st Hackintosh following your advices on this forum.
This hackintosh is for DaVinci Resolve, FCPX, Premiere CC and AE CC.
But before order it, i just have few questions:

• I want to put 2x27 ‘’ displays what is the best : plug one on each card or the 2 on one 770 ?
  • For have max of secure storage i want to put 4x 4To HDD in RAID 5, where do you configure the RAID 5 ? in the bios of the motherboard ?
  • Is there any problems or recommandations for install a BlackMagic Decklink SDI 4K ?
Thanks for all !

Hi Everyone,

I just registered myself here 5min ago as I'll be making my first ever Hackintosh. I've done a lot of research (reading) on the i-net the past few weeks and had selected all my components. Then by chance I stumbled on this website... and I was amazed by the layout, the amount of information and then this thread... which ultimately made my decision so much easier. I've been using Mac's for a long time now but wanted to give a Hackintosh a try. and like i said, this website really made that an easy choice :thumbup:

To make a long story short (i'll post a separate thread introducing myself) I made my pick list and did a search on it and voila, I met this amazing site.

Decisions, decisions, decisions, so after many hours here's my setup which should be arriving tomorrow.

• Asus RAMPAGE IV EXTREME X79
  • Int Core i7-4930K
  • CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series H100i
  • 2 x Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD (for Raid 0)
  • Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 7200
  • Corsair AX760
  • Asus 3GB D5 X GTX780-DC2OC
  • Dawicontrol DC-FW800 Firewire PCI
  • Corsair Graphite 600T Case White Edition
  • G.Skil D316GB 2133-911 RipjawsZ
  • Asus USB-BT400 BT2.1

I've followed this thread very carefully and will be doing so once I get all my stuff.
I'm curious to find out how far I get... or not ;)

Anyhow, just wanted to say hi and give this community a big thumbs up.
I'll let you know how things progress or shout out when I'll be needing your support :thumbup:

Cronik

@shilohh
I'm running and testing my build...i noticed today that wifi card isn't working correctly. Download speed is very very bad. Until yesterday everything worked well. If i try to connect a cable pan speed is ok but with wifi card not....what can it be?

How is your WIFI signal strength? Try changing your aerial positions and make sure your router is in the best place too. If you alt+click on the wifi menubar icon you can see some extra info about the signal strenth etc.

How is your WIFI signal strength? Try changing your aerial positions and make sure your router is in the best place too. If you alt+click on the wifi menubar icon you can see some extra info about the signal strenth etc.

Hi...Wifi signal is perfect...everything worked well until yesterday when i got low speed suddenly

@pdrufo,
I think you have a problem with fakesmc kext or the config.plist for your boot drive. Please boot from the USB stick using F8 and repeat steps 9 and 9a including downloading the files. Then try to boot witout caches from the OS dirive. If that doesn't work, mount the OS drive's efi partition and back up your config.plist from the clover folder. Then repeat step 8c and try to reboot witout caches from the OS drive. If it works, carefully repeat step 8d because that is where the problem most likely occurred. If it doesn't work, try re downloading everything including OS X, remaking the USB installer and reinstalling OS X (starting the guide all over again).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back