Contribute
Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about the 780 6GB card? I haven't seen anyone specifically refer to it, and I want the extra memory for Da Vinci Resolve (and the overclock). I plan on buying the ASUS STRIX GTX780 OC 6GD5. I have the board already and I've ordered the i7 4930k, so I'm just waiting to see if the graphics card will work.
My best guess is that it will work. I'd search all the hack related forums to see if other users report success actually using it. It may require acpi injection for full acceleration, port function and memory recognition. I also prefer EVGA to Asus GPUs as I've seen some users have issues with the asus variants.

Hi again shilohh :)
When i try to create my SSDT.aml, following your guide, in terminal i've this message. How i can change my board id to Ivy Bridge?

ssdtPRGen.sh v0.9 Copyright (c) 2011-2012 by † RevoGirl
v6.6 Copyright (c) 2013 by † Jeroen
v13.6 Copyright (c) 2013-2014 by Pike R. Alpha
-----------------------------------------------------------
Bugs > https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh/issues <

Override value: (-c) CPU type, now using: Ivy Bridge!
Override value: (-w) Ivy Bridge workarounds, now set to: 3!
Override value: (-turbo) maximum (turbo) frequency, now using: 4700 MHz!

System information: Mac OS X 10.9.4 (13E28)
Brandstring 'Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4930K CPU @ 3.40GHz'

Scope (_SB_) {23608 bytes} with ACPI Processor declarations found in the DSDT (ACPI 1.0 compliant)
Generating ssdt.dsl for a 'MacPro5,1' with board-id [Mac-F221BEC8]
Ivy Bridge Core i7-4930K processor [0x306E4] setup [0x0a01]
With a maximum TDP of 130 Watt, as specified by Intel
Number logical CPU's: 12 (Core Frequency: 3400 MHz)
Number of Turbo States: 13 (3500-4700 MHz)
Number of P-States: 36 (1200-4700 MHz)
Injected C-States for C000 (C1,C3,C6,C7)
Injected C-States for C001 (C1,C2,C3)
Warning: 'cpu-type' may be set improperly (0x0a01 instead of 0x0701)

Error: board-id [Mac-F221BEC8] not supported by Ivy Bridge – check SMBIOS data / use the -c option

Do you want to continue (y/n)?

Hi, noob here. I too made it to this step. Clicked continue, followed the final steps, ran disk utility and now can't get the system to start. What am I missing?

Thanks

Hi, noob here. I too made it to this step. Clicked continue, followed the final steps, ran disk utility and now can't get the system to start. What am I missing?

Thanks
For the ssdt, hit y to continue.

Please list your mobo, gpu and ram. Tap the space bar as you start the machine to reach the clover GUI. Select boot without caches and snap a readable pic where the verbose output freezes or record and post a video to YouTube. A video is preferable so I can see what's loading.

@ shilohh
is it normal that front USB3 and USB2 (connected from the case to the internal mobo connectors) sometime work and sometime don't? For example i noticed that external hd's or stick disconnect during the use or are not recognized when inserted...not always but it happens. maybe something wrong with my mobo?

Hi, mega noob here:rolleyes:

I want to build this same setup but with the R4BE. I've read the 62 pages of comments and the OP and the only line I see different in the OP is this : "Rampage IV Black Edition Users Only: To enable onboard Bluetooth, you can also download and install the final version of the firmware uploader kext from the end of this post:http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.p...ware-uploader/
NOTE: You'll need to create an account to download."

Does that mean that I follow every other step as if I had the R4E? And that mentions bluetooth but what about the onboard wifi, is it the same config as the R4E (which doesn't have any)?

I am building this as a video post production computer on the macintosh side and I will have a dual boot with an audio studio on the windows 7 side. Do you have any tips and tricks to make this build as quiet as possible so I can record in the same room as the computer?

The ultimate noob question, how do I assemble all the hardware (what do I plug where, in what order)? I know it's a stupid question but I haven't seen anyone refer to the steps needed to assemble the computer physically.

I also wanted to say that the support you guys are offering each other is inspirational and made me want to join the hackintosh community. :thumbup:
Thank you so much and I will be making a video guide for my entire build once I start.
Max

thanks so much. Here's the screen cap where I'm stuck on verbose.

photo.jpg

R4BE; i7-4930k;EVGA GTX 780Ti;Corsair Dominator Platinum 4x8GB DDR3 2133

What do you guys recommend for just general maintenance on a hackintosh?
I've noticed that sometimes my hackintosh will act weird, and I'll run Disk Utility only to find some errors within the partition map. I don't know if its just because it's a hackintosh, or that fact that I also boot into windows 8.1 sometimes, or maybe even my MacDrive software is doing something weird when I do boot into Win 8.1
I bought Checkmate and and Techtool Pro to monitor my drive's health and fix any errors but I was wondering if anyone had similar issues and how they've been resolved, if at all.

@pdrufo,
Did you install the nvidia web driver? Can you boot the system from the USB installer's bootloader by starting up while tapping F8 and select the installer then select the OS drive from the clover GUI?

For SSDT, download the updated clover OS boot drive files from the OP and use the included SSDTs.

@thenightflyer,
i haven't noticed any issue with USB since getting the IRQs sorted in the dsdt but I only use one of the MoBo's internal USB 2 headers for my front ports. It's possible that you're still running out of IRQs if you're using all the headers. I wouldn't suspect hardware failure unless you can duplicate the symptom in winblows.

@sandybeaches,
I never have issues with partion maps or corrupted data. I usually just run a permissions repair from disk util once in a blue moon. I'd suspect a wonky drive or sata cable or as you already suspect, your Mac drive windows software could be the culprit. Make sure you keep it updated and see if their other customers are having similar issues at their support forums.

- - - Updated - - -

@noislessbass,
yes everything is the same for the R4BE except for the dsdt patch list which enables the wifi and the kext for Bluetooth.

For silence, go with a case that has a good thermal design and quiet fans. You may also want to use a adjustable fan controller to tune your acoustics while recording (you'll probably need more cooling power when encoding video than when recording audio) and you may want to replace the cases fans with quieter aftermarket fans like noctua. Read some reviews on cases and fans. I love my silverstone case. Also CPU cooler and fans are important. I love my noctua but the thermalright silver arrow is a good choice too. Usually the loudest device will be the gpu when its under a heavy load but you shouldn't have issues unless you're loading the gpu while recording.

You should be able to find plenty if tutorials and videos for building a pc. The process is no different for a Hackintosh with the exception of choosing compatable hardware. The trickiest thing for a first timer is applying thermal compound to the CPU when installing the cooler.

Yes, I installed the web driver and have it selected. I can boot no problem from the USB in the normal mode. Just doesn't want to start up when the USB is unplugged.
Thank you

Yes, I installed the web driver and have it selected. I can boot no problem from the USB in the normal mode. Just doesn't want to start up when the USB is unplugged.

Lets troubleshoot:

1) Unplug the USB installer and boot while tapping the spacebar to reach the GUI. Use the right arrow to select "options" and hit enter/return. Select "boot args" and hit enter/return. Use the left arrow key until you see the cursor and then use the right arrow key to scroll to the very end of the list and add the flag
Code:
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Verdana]-s[/FONT][/COLOR]
Hit enter/return and scroll down to select "Return" at the bottom of the list and hit enter/return. With your OS drive selected, hit enter/return again to boot. Wait for the verbose to finish and wait another 15 seconds to make sure it doesn't start again. if it does wait 30sec-1min for it to finish and hit enter/return. You should see something like "/root:" Now type:

Code:
nvram -c
and hit enter/return. Type:
Code:
exit
and hit enter/return. If the machine boots, open terminal.app and type or paste:

Code:
[COLOR=#232323][FONT=Verdana]sudo nvram -c[/FONT][/COLOR]

and hit enter/return again. Enter your password and hit enter/return again. Restart.

2) If it still won't boot, Unplug the USB installer and boot while tapping the spacebar to reach the GUI. Use the right arrow to select options and hit enter/return. Select boot args and hit enter/return. Use the left arrow key until you see the cursor and then use the right arrow key to scroll to the very end of the list and add the flag nv_disable=1. Hit enter/return and scroll down to select "Return" at the bottom of the list and hit enter/return. With your OS drive selected, hit the spacebar and choose boot without caches.

3) If it still won't boot, Unplug the USB installer and boot while tapping the spacebar to reach the GUI. Use the right arrow to select options and hit enter/return. Select SMBIOS and hit enter/return. Change "MacPro6,1" to "MacPro5,1". Hit enter/return and scroll down to select "Return" at the bottom of the list and hit enter/return. With your OS drive selected, hit the spacebar and choose boot without caches and see if the system boots.

Please report back with your results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back