Contribute
Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my system, my separate Windows SSD shows up as a boot option in Clover. Simply select it and Windows fires right up.

Hi Shilohh,

Very pleased with with the new install but just had a question - maybe you know the answer.

I am very interested in setting up my system to dual boot with with Windows 8 - have been reading a bit on it but don't know would it work with this setup.

Also do you know of any problems installing OS X Server on my build which is set up following you guide?

thanks for any help you can offer.

Hey Shilohh,

I've been trying to get OSX on a gigabyte x79 up4 with no success. I have now started to use your procedure to install on a Asus w/4930K as you used. I am somewhat confused on the directions for what to do with "CloverUSB EFI Alias".

Could you help me?

Your work is very impressive!

Thanks

Hi Shilohh,

congrats to this great build! Funny thing is, that this build is almost 100% identical to my own ;)

So based from my own experience, I might add some suggestions:

1) I use "only" the Nocuta NH-U12S, and while it does not deliver the power of the NH-D14, it still seems to be sufficient. I am running at x42 OC and I get about 72 degrees max when running prime95. So when you don't plan to do some extreme OC, these cooler will also be up to the task. Biggest advantage is that then your RAM is not blocked and completely accessible without needing to unmount the cooler first.

2) You can enhance this build further by using some temp based fan control. So what I did is using an aquaero 6 XT to define 3 thermal zones in the ST02:

- HDD Zone, placed temp sensor just above the HDD cage
- GPU Zone, placed a sensor at the top of the PCI slot section, just some cm apart from my GPU
- CPU Zone, sensor placed just below the exhaust

So, each of my AP181s now are controlled independently of each other, based on their respective temps. And this works really well, so when idling, the AP181 just run at around 600RPM (a bit below the official specs but seems to run fine). Depending on load, the respective fans ramp up and help to move air out quicker off the case.

Note that the aquaero is just a bit overkill, at least the version with screen (imho you will never need that, since the aquaero can be controlled onscreen via USB). On the other hand, you get very precise control with the aquaero, you can even change the type of response curves etc.

And you can NOT use the R4E to do this, since the AP181s are voltage controlled. And also note that you can NOT regulate any AP182s with any external controller, since these have a very "special" means of controlling RPM, so even a voltage based controller does not work at all. Confirmed with Silverstone, so stay away from these models if you don't want them to be run at fixed speeds.

Only drawback is that you cannot read these custom sensors in HWMonitor, art least I do not know how this could be done.

3) I too, have the problem of improperly ejecting USB devices with sleep (both USB2 and USB3). Also getting "XHCSave" and "XHCRestore" Errors in the Sys log. So it seems that there might be a problem with saving / restoring context. No clue how to actually solve this.

When I boot the computer with the USB drive that I created to install 10.9.2, sleep is an option under the Energy saver system setting and the computer will sleep and wake correctly.

When I boot the computer without the USB drive that I created to install 10.9.2 (booting MAC OS Solid State Drive), sleep is not an option under the Energy saver system setting and when I select sleep from the Apple Menu, only the monitors sleep. I am thinking it is the DSDT or the SSDT. I will try and redo them when I get home from work today.

If you have any other suggestions I would love to hear them.

Thanks!

The problem is when I create the ssdt. Here is the output from my terminal window:

ssdtPRGen.sh v0.9 Copyright (c) 2011-2012 by † RevoGirl
v6.6 Copyright (c) 2013 by † Jeroen
v13.4 Copyright (c) 2013-2014 by Pike R. Alpha
-----------------------------------------------------------
Bugs > https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh/issues <

Override value: (-c) CPU type, now using: Ivy Bridge!
Override value: (-w) Ivy Bridge workarounds, now set to: 3!
Override value: (-turbo) maximum (turbo) frequency, now using: 4200 MHz!

System information: Mac OS X 10.9.2 (13C1021)
Brandstring 'Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4930K CPU @ 3.40GHz'

Scope (_SB_) {23608 bytes} with ACPI Processor declarations found in the DSDT (ACPI 1.0 compliant)
Generating ssdt.dsl for a 'MacPro6,1' with board-id [Mac-F60DEB81FF30ACF6]
Ivy Bridge Core i7-4930K processor [0x306E4] setup [0x0a01]
With a maximum TDP of 130 Watt, as specified by Intel
Number logical CPU's: 12 (Core Frequency: 3400 MHz)
Number of Turbo States: 8 (3500-4200 MHz)
Number of P-States: 31 (1200-4200 MHz)
Injected C-States for C000 (C1,C3,C6)
Injected C-States for C001 (C1,C3,C6)

Intel ACPI Component Architecture
ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20130117-64 [Jan 19 2013]
Copyright (c) 2000 - 2013 Intel Corporation

ASL Input: /Users/xxx/Desktop/ssdt.dsl - 369 lines, 11039 bytes, 96 keywords
AML Output: /Users/xxx/Desktop/ssdt.aml - 2646 bytes, 40 named objects, 56 executable opcodes

Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 0 Optimizations

I put the ssdt.aml file into the patched folder in the EFI partition and I no longer have sleep as an option for my computer.

@Akkman,
It's not broken. It's how it's supposed to work with machines that have the type of kernel controlled CPUPM. The SSDT enables XCPM and therefore changes the options you see in sys prefs. In sys prefs there is a check box to enable or disable the system from auto sleeping after the screen sleeps. And it should after the screen sleeps. You can set it manually usin the Terminal. See arehep's post about how to do it. Also with this type of CPUPM, the machine can take up to 30 seconds to fully enter sleep.

I made the Mavericks install disk as detailed by OP. When I boot with the USB stick Clover Boot Manager opens but nothing seems to happen. I have waited as long as 1 1/2 hours. I'm not doing something right. This is my first Clover build. My system is Rampage IV Extreme, 4804 Bios, 4930K, 32 gb gSkill Sniper 1866 and a GTX-570.

Any advice?

Another odd thing? I just received my MB today from reseller. The heatsink fan on the Patsburg chip has not ran at all. Is that normal for this board?

I am still somewhat confused on the directions for what to do with "CloverUSB EFI Alias" when making the USB boot.

Thank you for all your work on this forum for dummies like me. I would be ever so grateful for some advice.

Another odd thing? I just received my MB today from reseller. The heatsink fan on the Patsburg chip has not ran at all. Is that normal for this board?

I am still somewhat confused on the directions for what to do with "CloverUSB EFI Alias" when making the USB boot.

Thank you for all your work on this forum for dummies like me. I would be ever so grateful for some advice.
The alias is a symbolic link to the correct file path where the files and folders should be copied to. The efi partition must be mounted for it to work. Right click the alias and choose get info to see the exact file path. I think it's /Volumes/EFI/EFI/Clover. Mount the USB's EFI partition and verify that the correct files and folder gave been replaced. If not, drag them there to replace the stock ones. The kexts folder replaces the entire kexts folder. The themes folder replaces the entire themes folder ect....

the pch fan's behavior can be adjusted in the bios. I set mine to user mode at the default settings. They had it set to run at high speeds in earlier versions of the bios but people complained about the noise. Now it only runs when the pch gets really hot (in auto mode).

3) I too, have the problem of improperly ejecting USB devices with sleep (both USB2 and USB3). Also getting "XHCSave" and "XHCRestore" Errors in the Sys log. So it seems that there might be a problem with saving / restoring context. No clue how to actually solve this.
There is a bootflag that zenith posted that solves the save/restore errors but doesn't keep storage from forced ejection on sleep. Again, my older R4E doesn't force eject USB 2 ports, only the 3.0 ones. Eric's newer board forces both and I think it's due to a revision in the x79 chipset. I've tried all manner of dsdt edits but I think it's something we'll have to live with. See the bugs section of the OP for work arounds. The good news is that the USB 2 ports don't go completely dead because they still wake the machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back