Contribute
Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
@turbine
try clicking the mouse once then again in 2 seconds.

In regards to multi GPUs, every app that is written to leverage multiple GPUs will. Apps that are not wont (SLI/crossfire doesn't currently work in OS X).

i work with finalcutx and Logic Pro. My question is: whats about the compatibility of these app's with this configuration you have?
although need a firewire- or thunderbolt-port for my extern A/D-converter (MOTU)
doe's this computer fulfill my requirements, and would it be perform future-resitant?
Logic should work fine. FCPX works fine (as good as it does on a real mac) but I don't think it's a very good app in general. It doesn't fully use the CPU (even in real Macs) and it's a very poor choice if you're working with H.264 (AVCHD) camera footage unless you use an adobe product or 5D2RGB to transcode the footage to ProRes before importing it to FCPX. I would advise anyone who uses AVCHD or H264 cameras to use Adobe Premiere Pro CC instead.

I have a $20 FireWire Pci-E card that works great for all my old FireWire drives and my old MOTU 896HD.

And those Adobe products use the Cuda driver, correct?

@turbine
try clicking the mouse once then again in 2 seconds.

Confused what you mean. How does that help figure out why it's waking from sleep on its own?

Confused what you mean. How does that help figure out why it's waking from sleep on its own?
Sorry I misread your post. Search wake in the system.log in console.app. Maybe you have wake on lan (WOL) enabled?

To answer your Adobe question, AE uses CUDA for ray tracing but uses OpenGL for some previews. Premiere will use either CUDA or OpenCL for mercury playback depending on how you set the preference and project. Photoshop uses OpenCL for some stuff but this can be turned off in favor of OpenGL. Davinci Resolve can use either CUDA or OpenCL though I've never tried to use it with OpenCL. Some GPUs must be added to the Cuda Supported text to enable CUDA in Adobe.

Shilooh, first off - seems like a really nice build! Congrats!

Secondly, did you try using your gtx570 and the gtx770 at the same time? still looking for Maximum Performance in AE...

Shilooh, first off - seems like a really nice build! Congrats!

Secondly, did you try using your gtx570 and the gtx770 at the same time? still looking for Maximum Performance in AE...
Thanks!

No I didn't. I'm trying to decide if I want to replace my 570 with a 770 or 780. Either way I think I'm keeping my 580 for a resolve render card.

I've been running with a very similar build for almost a week now and it has been perfectly smooth sailing ever since I got everything stable.

I want to post my specs as well as my workarounds for anyone, like me, who found this post via Google. I think you should all hackintosh with confidence!

Corsair 600T Case
Rampage IV Extreme
i7 4930k (running at stock 3.4 GHz. Might OC someday soon)
Corsair H60 liquid CPU cooler
32GB of Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz RAM running at 1333 MHz (might bump it up someday soon)
4GB EVGA GTX 770 SC
TP Link WN881ND PCI WiFi card
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD (connected via 6 Gbps SATA)
Western Digital Black 1TB 7200RPM HD (connected via 6 Gbps SATA)
Corsair RM750 750 watt power supply
Focusrite 2i2 USB audio interface

Problems with the build when following OP instructions exactly:

The version of the script that I used to generate ssdt.aml was bugged and would not generate the ssdt for me. After about an hour of fussing about, I figured out the problem. The script has since been fixed.

Audio did not work out of the box. After looking through this post, I found the solution. There is a modified DSDT.aml creation guide located in this post (somewhere). After following it, audio worked perfectly. Then, I bought the audio interface today and it works plug and play with no issue whatsoever.

Other problems I made by being silly:
I tried to be cheap with my memory initially. I bought a Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB kit and the machine wouldn't even POST. R4E boards are picky with their DIMMS. Check the approved vendor list or with the vendor specifically to make sure the memory you buy has been tested on the motherboard!! After a quick trip to Microcenter, the PC booted without issue.

I plugged the H60 cooler's pump into an open 3-pin connector like the instructions said. Well, I happened to choose a connector only for use by the engineers at Asus which prevented the machine from POST-ing. Don't plug stuff into unlabeled connectors on the motherboard!! Also, the R4E's fan connectors are all 4-pin and my case/CPU cooler had 3 pin. The 3 pin connectors will plug into the 4 pin connections without forcing them. Check the manual for pin configurations on the connectors!

The guide shilohh provides here is solid. Most of the errors were either out of his control or totally my fault. Since he's updated the DSDT patch list in his DSDT guide, you should have zero issue getting your LGA 2011 build to boot. Thank you so much for your guide shilohh!

Can you give a more detailed description of the issue pleas? What exactly happens when you try to sleep/wake?

When I boot the computer with the USB drive that I created to install 10.9.2, sleep is an option under the Energy saver system setting and the computer will sleep and wake correctly.

When I boot the computer without the USB drive that I created to install 10.9.2 (booting MAC OS Solid State Drive), sleep is not an option under the Energy saver system setting and when I select sleep from the Apple Menu, only the monitors sleep. I am thinking it is the DSDT or the SSDT. I will try and redo them when I get home from work today.

If you have any other suggestions I would love to hear them.

Thanks!

Hi Shilohh,

Very pleased with with the new install but just had a question - maybe you know the answer.

I am very interested in setting up my system to dual boot with with Windows 8 - have been reading a bit on it but don't know would it work with this setup.

Also do you know of any problems installing OS X Server on my build which is set up following you guide?

thanks for any help you can offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back