Contribute
Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 3930K works well but requires some extra stuff to fully work. It's supported in the files. If you're buying used, you can probably get a 4930k for a similar price and you wouldn't need the patch for applecpupowermanagement. 64 gig of ram works fine. I'm using 64gig of ripjaw z at 2133 cl9.

Yeah. Weighing the cost to performance difference between 3930k vs 4930k. Looks like the 4930k benches about 10% better, but even in the used market, prices out at double. Read your post about the power draw of the 4930k at idle, which is obviously much better than 3930k. Thx for the tip on the applecpupowermanagement patch. I'm sure I would have ran into it when I go through the install. Everything is always nuanced and I know slight changes make the difference between countless hours of troubleshooting and simply having a rock solid stable system - the latter obviously more critical in production workflows.

PS
I really like my rampage 4 black edition and the maxwell (980) GPUs are great but require the web driver. Small price to pay for better performance and efficiency.

Yes. I agree. Render time in AE is killing me on some recent projects. Hence worth the time/hassle to get the 980's up and running.

Doing an A/B from R4E vs R4BE, it seems that the Black is more geared towards OC and tuning. Not really planning on doing much in OC except the cpu. Any upsides to R4BE that you've noticed in 'real world' performance and initial OS X/Clover setup?

Obviously, you've done BOTH R4E/3930k and R4BE/4930k builds, so who better to ask.

Your kung-fu is strong! :thumbup:

R4E and R4BE are both geared toward overclocking. The benefit is that they are overenginered and overbuilt. They use better parts. R4BE has built in wifi newer USB 3 and audio chips. I started with R4E/3930/32gig ram/570+580. Upgraded to 4930K/R4E then upgraded to R4BE/64gig ram. Then upgraded GPUs to 2 980s. Then bought a Titan X and remove 1 980.

Just wanted to mention here that the 11.4 update combo worked fine. I didn't need to reinstall the audio driver. Just the nvidia webdriver update. :thumbup:
:thumbup: Glad to hear it. I've been out of town and haven't had a chance to update or test anything with 10.11.4. You shouldn't have to update audio drivers ever again as I moved us to toleda's/PikeRAlpha's clover method a while ago.

Hey Shilohh,

I've got a weird audio bug. Sometimes the audio on my system is delayed by a second or so.

It's across a bunch of stuff - YouTube, Premiere CC, Quicktime, etc. - when you play something the video starts immediately and the audio takes about a second to turn on. Then it continues out of sync. A restart fixes this for a while, but then it starts to drift again. At first I thought it was the video, but that plays just fine. Editing in Premiere shows that cuts happen in time, but audio lags behind.

I installed "audio_CloverALC-master.zip" as instructed. I didn't want to tinker and wreck my build without checking in first. What's the best way to troubleshoot this?

Hey Shilohh,

I've got a weird audio bug. Sometimes the audio on my system is delayed by a second or so.

It's across a bunch of stuff - YouTube, Premiere CC, Quicktime, etc. - when you play something the video starts immediately and the audio takes about a second to turn on. Then it continues out of sync. A restart fixes this for a while, but then it starts to drift again. At first I thought it was the video, but that plays just fine. Editing in Premiere shows that cuts happen in time, but audio lags behind.

I installed "audio_CloverALC-master.zip" as instructed. I didn't want to tinker and wreck my build without checking in first. What's the best way to troubleshoot this?
Please back up your config.plist then open the one in the EFI/CLOVER folder with TextEdit and search for:
Code:
[COLOR=#000080]<key>[/COLOR]BusSpeedkHz[COLOR=#000080]</key>[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000080]<string>[/COLOR]100000[COLOR=#000080]</string>[/COLOR]
and delete both lines. Be sure to delete any blank lines that are left in the void and to keep the spacing for the lines before and after the same. Note: the leading spaces for the lines in a plist are created with the tab key. Save the file, reboot and test.

I'm having a strange problem with iTunes video playback, any movies or TV shows downloaded from the iTunes store won't play. Many movie trailers won't play either within iTunes. I just get a black screen. There are other threads regarding this problem and the consensus is that it has to do with HDCP. This may be correct as dvd's I've ripped myself play without issues in iTunes. I've checked that my monitor (NEC Multisync PA2721w) as well as my GTX770 are HDCP compliant. I was wondering if this is may be a driver issue. Since my GTX770 is supported natively in OS X, I don't have Nvidia's web drivers installed. Can anyone running the web drivers let me know if they have similar issues or if iTunes video content plays properly?

Many thanks!

After updating to 10.11.4, I have to boot with nvda_drv=1 or at the Apple logo screen, the loading bar will get to about 40% and then I'll get a spinner - blink - cursor loop.

I have a GTX 780Ti and it's properly recognized, and I get full acceleration with that boot flag. Wondering if it's a bad idea to have nvda_drv=1 in my config.plist like I am doing now or if it's okay..

Thanks in advance!

After updating to 10.11.4, I have to boot with nvda_drv=1 or at the Apple logo screen, the loading bar will get to about 40% and then I'll get a spinner - blink - cursor loop.

I have a GTX 780Ti and it's properly recognized, and I get full acceleration with that boot flag. Wondering if it's a bad idea to have nvda_drv=1 in my config.plist like I am doing now or if it's okay..

Thanks in advance!
Yes that's fine. nvda_drv=1 is the arg that forces the web driver to load instead of the apple drives regardless of the setting in the nvidia preferences pane. You should be able to just set it back in the prefs pane and the setting should stick though. Either way, using the boot arg in the config will insure that it will always be set to the web driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back