Contribute
Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed an old genericusbxhci that I found in the web and now they seem to work (buggy). I can't see them in the system report either.
Because of the consistent pain in the but with drivers, the plethora of USB 2 ports for slower peripherals and the USB 3 ports that I get from my PCI card, I choose to treat the onboard ports as if they don't exist. I disable them in the bios and only turn them on for testing.

It's looking more and more likely that it's a hardware fault.

The good news is that I switched the faulty DVI to a Displayport and it's running silky smooth. Now onto the pain of dual booting Win 10.

Cheers for all your help so far. Very much appreciated.

If your 780 is a newer GK110b revision, you will need to use the web driver from now on. If you removed your 580 and put the 780 in it's place, you will need to delete the SSDT for the 580 and replace it with a Kepler SSDT.

My GTX780 arrived, I was trying to find out if it is a GK110b but without success. I would like to try to change it ...but I am afraid of breaking the system, which works great now :thumbup:

I'll try to describe the steps I am going to follow:

Mount the EFI partition

Delete EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched/DSDT.aml

Shut down

Install GTX780 in Slot 1

Start up and boot to Clover

Press F4 to make a new DSDT

Restart

Boot to desktop (in here I probably have to run Auto DSDT app, Do I?)

Replace EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched /SSDT-1.aml (GTX 580)

with

ASUSX79Files/Postinstall/2 ACPI/NVIDIA Kepler (4port) HDMI GPU SSDT/SSDT-1.aml (GTX780)

Download appropriate Web driver from NVIDIA website

Install

restart and it should work

I have a backup of OS X on a separate drive which I have booted from just to be safe. In case something goes wrong I can put GTX 580 back and roll back.

Thanx

Hi MK500 I wonder if you can post some screenshots of your current Bios OC. I have the v490s and for some reason the geekbench is showing 14404 instead of 22500 like before, not sure if is the config file the problem.

I believe this is current settings I am using:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dxwydhr00emruf6/AAAMUxHEDE9UNA-IVJ40tCdra?dl=0

I have been running 4Ghz since El Cap due to some stability issues.

My current geek bench results are 20,348:

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/5774204

Have a local guy parting out his gaming box.

Wanted to check on potential compatibility issues before purchasing the parts. Main concern is the Ram specs and the Gigabyte GTX 980's. Please chime in if you have any thoughts, concerns, or tips regarding the ram and video cards.

Specs for parts:
I7 3930K
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011
64 GB GSkill RipJaws Z series RAM (8 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
2 GTX 980’s GIGABYTE GV-N980G1 4Gb GDDR5

I'm hesitant to recommend gigabyte and Asus GPUs with non-reference port configurations. It seems like they tend to go off the map with their VBIOSs and cause compatibility issues with the web driver. If you have your choice of parts and it's not an all or nothing deal, I'd go for a 4930K. The ram should work fine at it's rated speeds.

I'm hesitant to recommend gigabyte and Asus GPUs with non-reference port configurations. It seems like they tend to go off the map with their VBIOSs and cause compatibility issues with the web driver. If you have your choice of parts and it's not an all or nothing deal, I'd go for a 4930K. The ram should work fine at it's rated speeds.

Thx for the quick response Shilohh! Based on your recommendations, I think I'll spec out EXACTLY as you've built your box. Had to ask about the parts selection as a local guy was dumping for a fairly good deal, but not worth the trouble/hassles/headaches. Just want the build to be stable as it will be used for production work. Thx again for your invaluable advice!

Thx for the quick response Shilohh! Based on your recommendations, I think I'll spec out EXACTLY as you've built your box. Had to ask about the parts selection as a local guy was dumping for a fairly good deal, but not worth the trouble/hassles/headaches. Just want the build to be stable as it will be used for production work. Thx again for your invaluable advice!
The 3930K works well but requires some extra stuff to fully work. It's supported in the files. If you're buying used, you can probably get a 4930k for a similar price and you wouldn't need the patch for applecpupowermanagement. 64 gig of ram works fine. I'm using 64gig of ripjaw z at 2133 cl9.

PS
I really like my rampage 4 black edition and the maxwell (980) GPUs are great but require the web driver. Small price to pay for better performance and efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back