Contribute
Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's a new build for a friend!
AR4E i7 4930k
16gb gskill ram 2133 mhz (bios shows 1600 how can i change its speed to match factory?)
ssd kingston 256 gb
gtx 660

first boot no ethernet
restart everything ok
shut down
boot and again no ethernet
restart and ok
i'm in da loop!!
:banghead:

Ah yes, that might be an advantage. Thanks for explaining! But still you suggest to place the CPU PM kext in S/L/E? I had the feeling that it also should work when placed in kext/other.
It uses PikeRAlpha's dummy kext method to override the info.plist from the X86PlatformPlugin kext and needs to be in SLE to work. It has a symbolic link to the binary of the original kext. I haven't tested it in LE. It does not work from EFI.

Edit: I also saw that you use EAPDFix instead of CodecCommander to fix AppleHDa wakeup issues. Does this work better, or any additional advantages? I thought these two solutions do exactly the same.
It works from EFI with 0 modification. CodecCommander requires mods for R4BE's ALC1150 and I didn't feel like wasting time on it.

I have another GTX 580, 1.5 GB, asus. Do the cards have to be the same?

Instead I decided to upgrade my graphic card to a newer model EVGA GTX 780,3Gb. I follow steps:
Mount the EFI partition.

Delete EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/DSDT.aml.

Shut down.

Install PCI hardware.

Start up.

Make new DSDT.

Restart.

After the system should normally come up?

I would like to try use onboard USB 3, before I purchase PCie card. I know in the guide you mentioned GenericUSBXHCI.kext which I found in

EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/ Other

Do i have to place it somewhere else?

Thank you

Instead I decided to upgrade my graphic card to a newer model EVGA GTX 780,3Gb. I follow steps:
After the system should normally come up?
If your 780 is a newer GK110b revision, you will need to use the web driver from now on. If you removed your 580 and put the 780 in it's place, you will need to delete the SSDT for the 580 and replace it with a Kepler SSDT.
I would like to try use onboard USB 3, before I purchase PCie card. I know in the guide you mentioned GenericUSBXHCI.kext which I found in EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other
Do i have to place it somewhere else?
Thank you
If you are using the newest files, just enable them in the bios. All kexts that are in other are loaded regardless of the version of OS x.

If your 780 is a newer GK110b revision, you will need to use the web driver from now on. If you removed your 580 and put the 780 in it's place, you will need to delete the SSDT for the 580 and replace it with a Kepler SSDT.

Well I dont know yet as I am about to buy one (Used on ebay, it is EVGA GTX 780, is there a way to find out the revision on these cards?

If you are using the newest files, just enable them in the bios. All kexts that are in other are loaded regardless of the version of OS x.

Well I did that, however USB 3 ports still don't work

By front USB 3 do you mean ports on your case that are connected to the motherboard's internal header? Regardless, if GenericUSBXHCI doesn't fix it, there is no solution I can recommend except for using a FL1100 PCI card for your case ports.

Messages (iMessage) is a complicated frequently changing subject that I don't follow too closely.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/110471-how-fix-imessage.html
Ok thanks for your reply, I will check your iMessage's link.
And for USB3, it's not a big issue, I can live with 2 front USB3 ports instead of 3 !
Thanks again for your time.

Hey Shilohh,

After months of waiting for parts my machine is finally up and running, so I wanted to say THANK YOU for such a fantastic and detailed guide. I've proudly updated my profile to reflect my new sexy hardware :p

This is the first of two identical builds, so hopefully things go as smoothly for the second.

THANKS AGAIN!

Dear Shilohh
hi!
(I had followed your build guide and purchased same parts and GTX 770. Recently I bought a new one GTX 980 ti hybrid. I just replaced the older one and done nothing else!)

My specs are:
Untitled.jpg

As I can imagine I never succeded to "see" my proccessor as "Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4930K CPU @3.40GHz"
Please could you or anyone else help me on this (with detailed instructions plz)
thnx again
chris

I spoke to soon… there’s a problem :(

I built the machine with the Inateck PCI USB 3 card installed and followed your guide completely and got the hack up and running. But now I’m getting similar kernel panics that you described for onboard USB 3.

From the desktop I can plug in a USB 3 device and it works great, even a restart doesn’t cause issues. Once I shutdown though it all goes wrong. On boot I get to the apple logo with loading bar and then it panics and restarts. Rinse and repeat forever. If I remove everything from USB 3.0 slots then shutdown & restart it boots fine.

Also, I didn’t even bother connecting the onboard USB 3.0 internally, just using one USB 3 device into the Inateck.

Has this happened to anyone else using the Inateck? Btw, I'm running 10.11.3

I spoke to soon… there’s a problem :(
I built the machine with the Inateck PCI USB 3 card installed and followed your guide completely and got the hack up and running. But now I’m getting similar kernel panics that you described for onboard USB 3.
From the desktop I can plug in a USB 3 device and it works great, even a restart doesn’t cause issues. Once I shutdown though it all goes wrong. On boot I get to the apple logo with loading bar and then it panics and restarts. Rinse and repeat forever. If I remove everything from USB 3.0 slots then shutdown & restart it boots fine.
Also, I didn’t even bother connecting the onboard USB 3.0 internally, just using one USB 3 device into the Inateck.
Has this happened to anyone else using the Inateck? Btw, I'm running 10.11.3
Hi, sorry to about your issue. I have not experienced panics with devices plugged into my inateck card. What is the exact model of your card?

What type of USB 3 device are you using that causes the panic?

After the panic when you remove the USB 3 device and reboot, you should be presented with a option to show a report. Click "Report" and post the results.

Next remove the genericusbxhci kext from the EFI partion's kexts folder and see if the panic persists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back