Contribute
Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey shilohh,

That definitely worked! I actually had to do it again after running some security update after the 10.10.5. I checked Trim support is enabled, and all my devices seem to be working. But the one thing I am still struggling to get working is my audio.

I went back through your whole guide and noticed that I had outdated files from a long time ago, so I redownloaded everything and went through the process of creating a new DSDT as well as applying the Speedstep.kxt which I don't think I ever did.

I am fairly certain that I have I need to be using the Realtek 898. Right now no devices show up for me to even select an output.

@osxfr33k - I tried running the ALC-110 hoping that would fix my audio issue, but alas it did not. I received the following message:

File: audio_cloverALC-110.command_v1.0j
EFI partition is mounted
Boot/Arguments = kext-dev-mode=1 found
Error: no IOReg/HDEF; BIOS/audio/disabled or ACPI problem
No system files were changed

I double checked my BIOS and everything looks right.

Any thoughts guys?

*** Update - Well, not sure why this worked but I deleted the custom DSDT and rebooted and my sound just suddenly started working.

Thanks!

@Geminii,
I changed all the ACPI files in the new zip. I used a SSDT to fix all onboard devices so you don't need DSDT to get sound and other stuff working. However, you can use the new DSDT stripper patch list to create a DSDT which lightens the ACPI load and fixes IRQ conflicts.

Try it again

Here is what I tried yesterday. I tried to boot from the USB Installer twice without caches and then from the Mac OSX SSD twice as well

[video=youtube;0kueE11b1b8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kueE11b1b8[/video]

Today I tried to boot from the USB Installer once without caches and then twice from the Mac OSX SSD. On the second try I was able to access the operating system but it froze on me. I tried booting from the MAC OSX SSD a third time and quickly exited the Hands off window and it seems to be fine now? I'm going to go through the rest of your steps and see what happens

[video=youtube;BVd-mdGqcuM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVd-mdGqcuM[/video]
Hey @shilohh check out my video

First up, this thread is brilliant. So many great contributors.

This will be my second build (current one detailed in my profile) and while it seems a little beyond my knowledge and comfort level I'm keen to dive in anyway. Just to make things more difficult for myself I'll be building two of these "identical" builds at the same time. :eek:

They'll be used daily as professional editing stations running Adobe CC (mainly Premiere & AE). Hoping it'll handle 4k editing without breaking a sweat. I've gone through this entire thread, and tried to store as much info as possible, so apologies if I repeat questions already answered.

• Luckily, we've been gifted some GTX 980ti cards so I'm keen to use. I'll follow your instructions in post #1293. Any other tips?
  • It's essential that ethernet and USB 3 work. Have these issue been solved now, with things like SafeSleeper?
  • I'm trying to match parts exactly but some (especially mobo, even Black Edition) are difficult to come by in the UK. If I did import parts from the US or China will the differing voltage/power be a problem?
  • Is it worth sticking with Yosemite over El Capitan for stability at this point?
  • Lastly, is it worth salvaging any components from my first build? maybe using two graphics cards, or should I just start fresh? (hoping things like my case should be fine to re-use)

Thanks in advance. Keep up all the good work!

Hey shilohh,

That definitely worked! I actually had to do it again after running some security update after the 10.10.5. I checked Trim support is enabled, and all my devices seem to be working. But the one thing I am still struggling to get working is my audio.

I went back through your whole guide and noticed that I had outdated files from a long time ago, so I redownloaded everything and went through the process of creating a new DSDT as well as applying the Speedstep.kxt which I don't think I ever did.

I am fairly certain that I have I need to be using the Realtek 898. Right now no devices show up for me to even select an output.

@osxfr33k - I tried running the ALC-110 hoping that would fix my audio issue, but alas it did not. I received the following message:

File: audio_cloverALC-110.command_v1.0j
EFI partition is mounted
Boot/Arguments = kext-dev-mode=1 found
Error: no IOReg/HDEF; BIOS/audio/disabled or ACPI problem
No system files were changed

I double checked my BIOS and everything looks right.

Any thoughts guys?

*** Update - Well, not sure why this worked but I deleted the custom DSDT and rebooted and my sound just suddenly started working.

Thanks!

I had the same problem in one of my other non X79 systems. What I had to do is install HDAEnabler from Mulitbeast I forgot which one. Just the enabler, reboot and then there will be some minimal information needed for Toleda's script to find your device and finish the install. Remove HDAEnabler once the script succeeds. I think you can put the enabler in Clover/kexts so no worry about fixing permissions and if that does not work, place it in /Library/Extensions and fix permissions.

I would think Shilohh's SSDT would have the audio device there not sure if thats enough for Toldeda's script to run from that.

Please make sure your using Toleda's script for 10.11

I thought had previous successfully upgraded the system but now I can't get it boot to Mac OSX anymore.
I'm trying to upgrade to El Capitan from Mavericks. I put my USB installer in a USB 3.0 instead of 2.0 by accident (it was not differently colored and I have bad eyes) and I think my computer has a experience a kernel panic. I tried recreating the USB from scratch and installing but no luck. It won't even boot to the Mac OSX Installer anymore.

Here is a video with a boot without caches

So the first two tries I have booted from my MAC SD drive and the second tries I have booted from the USB installer.
Finally got to a coffee house to get my laptop online. I couldn't read the text in your videos from my iphone (I'm still on the road).

I suspect conflicts from old files in you 10.9 install. Plug in your 10.11 USB installer. Start the system holding the delete key to reach the BIOS. navigate to the boot page. scroll down to the boot override section and choose the USB installer. When you reach the Clover GUI choose your "updated" boot SSD. Once you boot, make sure you delete HWMonitor.app from the applications folder (/Applications) because each version is only compatible with it's exact version of the sensors that are contained in the FakeSMC.kext. Delete fakeSMC.kext, and any other kexts that were installed to /System/Library/Extensions in your previous install. I think I color coded all of them from the 10.9/10.10 guides. Also, Mount your boot drive's EFI partition and delete your old DSDT from EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched. Ensure that SSDT-0.aml is present in the ACPI/patched folder and DSDT.aml is NOT present. Ensure that fakeSMC.kext is present in the kext/10.11 folder. If not, add all the correct new files from the guide's attached .zip by following the guide. I'm sorry if I confused you or anyone else but I dramatically changed the way we are using the files now. All kexts but 1 are now kept in EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/[OS Versions] and clover injects them at boot time instead of loading from SLE. Also, Your DSDT created with older patch lists are not compatible with the new ACPI files. I added most all of the fixes from the DSDT patch list to SSDT-0.aml which will be active at every boot allowing all the fixed devices to be functional without having to create a DSDT first. This is now a necessity as we have to fix the USB devices before we can boot. If you have a DSDT with the same fixes as SSDT-0, they will conflict and SSDT-0 won't load correctly or won't load at all. I still recommend creating a DSDT using the included "DSDT stripper" patch list as it fixes IRQ conflicts which may cause internal USB 2 headers not to work or other erratic behavior but everything else will be fixed by SSDT-0.aml. The DSDT stripper may only be compatible with the newest BIOSs for the R4E (v4901) and R4BE (v801) so you may need to update your BIOS.

First up, this thread is brilliant. So many great contributors.

This will be my second build (current one detailed in my profile) and while it seems a little beyond my knowledge and comfort level I'm keen to dive in anyway. Just to make things more difficult for myself I'll be building two of these "identical" builds at the same time. :eek:

They'll be used daily as professional editing stations running Adobe CC (mainly Premiere & AE). Hoping it'll handle 4k editing without breaking a sweat. I've gone through this entire thread, and tried to store as much info as possible, so apologies if I repeat questions already answered.

• Luckily, we've been gifted some GTX 980ti cards so I'm keen to use. I'll follow your instructions in post #1293. Any other tips?
  • It's essential that ethernet and USB 3 work. Have these issue been solved now, with things like SafeSleeper?
  • I'm trying to match parts exactly but some (especially mobo, even Black Edition) are difficult to come by in the UK. If I did import parts from the US or China will the differing voltage/power be a problem?
  • Is it worth sticking with Yosemite over El Capitan for stability at this point?
  • Lastly, is it worth salvaging any components from my first build? maybe using two graphics cards, or should I just start fresh? (hoping things like my case should be fine to re-use)

Thanks in advance. Keep up all the good work!
Thanks!

A single 980ti should meet your needs and then some.

If usb 3 function is a priority, you should use a compatible fl1100 PCIE card. Onboard chips have been a pain and are bugy at best if they work at all in 10.11. I'll be testing a "5 port + 1 internal" header card soon. There are 2 port versions that users have tested in earlier posts.

If you want to follow this guide, get a R4BE. The power supply is responsible for supplying the mobo's voltage so a U.S. Version won't matter. I'm always leary of stuff from China.

Using 10.10 or 10.9 is up to you. You'll be able to have some functionality from the on board USB 3 ports but I wouldn't call it 100% reliable. You could also start with 10.10, clone to a second ssd and then update it to 10.11 so you can play with both.

You could use your old psu if you stick with a single gpu. Your case, drives and other small stuff should be fine too. You won't be able to use your ram, CPU cooler or anything platform/socket specific. I wouldn't bother with the 570 as it's power usage/performance aren't up to par with the maxwell cards but you could save it for a backup.

@SlapDashAsh,
You should be fine. I'll be back at my machine working out all kinks I may have missed by the end of the week for sure. I'm going to do fresh installs of 10.9, 10.10 and 10.11 with all the new files to make sure everything is backwards compatible but it definitely should be.

Hi shilohh ! :)
I have installed my El Capitan on a very similar boat to You. Everything works well except my 4 USB ports located at the right side of power button of Computer Case (Asus Rampage IV). They are a external usb ports connected to motherboard and located at the top of case. And they are dead. I had 10.9.5 before and those ports works well... What You suggest to me to do? I would be happy to have usb 2.0...

Best wishes! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back